ideas of what to eat while camping

Options
Hi All, I am going camping this weekend and I'm looking for some ideas on what to pack for food. We will be able to keep food cold, and we will be cooking over an open fire with a grate on top. The only idea I have so far for a meal is chicken and veggie kabobs. For snacks I'm thinking: cheese and crackers, fruit, cereal, veggie sticks with dip.

Replies

• nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    I made this chili: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/three-bean-and-beef-chili-recipe/index.html
    (exactly except subbed ground turkey for beef)

We froze it in freezer bags and just heated it up on the fire in a pot! Perfect.

Also, chicken sausages with onions and bell peppers. Eggs and bacon for breakfast? If you have a cast iron skillet it helps for making these two things.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love to make packets of potatoes, carrots and whatever veggies you like in aluminum foil. Toss the whole thing in the fire 'til cooked.
  • ladeb
    ladeb Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    For mid morning or afternoon snacks, mixed nuts with dried cranberries or raisins are what we have "pre bagged" in serving sizes.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    theres this company that do bags of camping food.
    i cant remember what its called but you just put the bag in hot water and wahla!
    There really good and low calorie!
    But one meal is like £4.
    But there vegetable currys are to die for!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If you're going to treat yourself to s'mores, I cut down the calories by using the chocolate graham crackers instead of the chocolate bar. A little indulgence with not as much guilt!
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have had this thread last week - I just got back from our weekend camping trip - 3 days and nights worth of hot dogs, smores, chips and cold beer - was a complete indulgence and I gained 7 lbs doing it!!! So be careful... thats quite a setback.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I remember now the company is "Wayfarer".

EDIT: And i forgot you dont have to cook them... There already cooked, so you can just eat it straight out of the bag cold. But their food is always nicer heated up!
  • sass30
    sass30 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    bump
  • atucker_mom
    atucker_mom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    We have done what we call Campfire Stew - you use a piece of aluminum foil, add ground beef or any other protein for that matter, chop up potatoes, carots, onions, and any other veggies you like. Salt and pepper to taste. Add cheese if you like. Then sprinkle a little water to keep everything tender. Roll the foil, leaving a little space to steam in, but making sure the seal is good so all the stuff doesn't leak out on the fire. It will take about an 45 minutes to cook. Be sure you don't cut the veggies up to big or they won't get done. BTW- you can do this in the oven too.
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    Camp fire is like grilling. Anything you can grill will work. Chicken, beef, pork, fish, veggies, fruit, eggs, potatoes, ect
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Just camp back from camping last weekend.

I did grilled chicken over the open fire. Seasoned with mrs Dash. Just put non stick aluminum foil on the grate and cook over the fire.
    Wrapped potatos in foil and cooked them in the coals.
    Apples, grapes and watermelon balls kept in the cooler for hot days. Lots of water.
    Did bacon and eggs for breakfast , one day and stuck some yogurt and granola in there also.
    Packets with ground beef, potatoes, peppers, onions, carrots and again mrs dash wrapped in foil and cooked on the grate.
    I did eat hotdogs the first night oh yeah and we had dump cake.
    crushed pineapple, topped with yellow cake mix , mixed only with one can of diet sunkist orange soda, mix well and pour over the pineapple. Put in a foil lined dutch oven and cook over 10 pieces of charcoal on bottom , and 14 peices on top of the lid. takes an hour to bake and is so delish!!
    I refused to eat crappy food the entire time I was gone and I am so thankful I didn't
    came home from camping and had maintaine my weight loss ( NO GAIN YAY)

Good luck to you and have fun !!
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    For snacks or with a meal :Awesome Fresh Black Bean Salsa recipe from Pampered Chef with Guiltless Gourmet blue corn chips:
    2 med tomotoes (seeded and chopped)
    1 can of Black beans rinsed
    2 tbs of FRESH cilantro snipped (key ingredient)
    1 garlic clove pressed
    2 Tbls lime juice (i've used lemon and it was fine)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    mix and chill over night

or for meals

Light Sweet and Sour Cole Slaw

1 head of cabbage shredded
    2 carrots shredded
    1/2 green pepper diced/chopped
    1/2 cucumber chopped

Sauce:
    1 cup light Helman's mayo
    3 Tbls apple cider vinegar
    2 Tbls sugar or 2 Tbls splenda (or do half and half)
    1/4 tsp dry mustard
    1/4 tsp salt

mix sauce and chill overnight (I don't always use all the sauce. depends on how big head of cabbage was)

very yummy!
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'd like to hear more ideas too!
  • mobskee
    mobskee Posts: 200
    Options
    bump
  • taurie
    taurie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Plain 0% fat greek yogurt. Have it as a snack with berries and a tsp of honey. You can also substitute it for sour cream and use it as a veggie or chip dip.

Camping can be a great opportunity to get some outdoor exercise. Go for a run, hike, or swim and you'll be able to burn off any extra calories.

My camping food essentials:
    diet soda (gingerale, tonic,coke, 7 up/Sprite, root beer)
    light beer
    water
    coffee
    skim milk
    natural low cal granola use half serving to mix with yogurt and mixed berries
    watermelon (low in cal and very filling - good idea to eat this as an appetiser before calorific meals or snacks)
    veggie chilli or with low-fat meat (as someone mentioned above)
    baked potato (use the lowest GI you can find and for filling you can use greek yogurt and tuna, or left over chilli - very yummy)
    kabobs chicken & veg
    for other snacks just have a small bowl of cereal with skim milk
    veggie dogs/ veggie burgers - I'm not a vegetarian, but I find calorie-wise they are guilt free.
    vegetable crudités
    stuff to make salads
    marshmellows
    popcorn without oil

You can get a lot of healthy meals cooking from an open fire.

Try to keep yourself busy; as I find camping is conducive to a lot of sitting around which stimulates appetite - definitely increases my appetite. If you knit or crochet do it to keep your hands busy... take a book/magazine, playing cards etc.

Just remember there are about 160 calories in a handful of nuts & 150 for potato chips... so try to avoid more than a handful.
  • grimnir
    grimnir Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Don't grill hot dogs and **** food like that. Do it right, eat a tasty steak, or a nice big chicken breast. Spend some time on a good dry rub for your steak (black pepper, garlic, paprika, cumin makes a pretty good one). Try a little vinaigrette with added thyme, garlic and black pepper as a marinade for your chicken. The calories will be similar to that hot dog, but it'll be higher in protein so you'll stay full longer and it'll taste vastly better, while being much better for you. If you want, make kebabs with it, it'll be a great full meal.

For meals without a fire cooking, or as sides, I like salads. Space is often limited, and I hate chopping vegetables without a counter, so I like to skip the greens and make veggie salads that I can make ahead of time and will keep, like my greek salad, made with seeded cucumbers (this is the main body of the dish), grape tomatoes, red onions, kalamata olives, bell peppers, feta, a little cilantro, black pepper, a little garlic powder, a little vinegar, and some good olive oil. Don't make it too heavy on the dressing, it's meant to be light, so the flavorful vegetables and feta can really sing, so if you go balsamic, go easy. It keeps well so long as you seed the cucumbers and don't cut up the tomatoes, though you can use less dressing if you let the moisture from the cucumbers and tomatoes spread throughout the salad over half a day or whatever. If you want to punch up the protein, garbanzo beans or chicken are both good options.

Also, other similar salads are good bets. Look up raw vegan recipes, you'll find all kinds of good stuff along this vein. 3-bean salad is a classic, and surprisingly filling. My mom used to make pea salad with some light miracle whip, a bag of frozen peas, some diced red onion, and diced extra sharp cheddar, sometimes with a can of tuna as well. I add a little fresh basil and black pepper to that, it makes it pop a lot more.

I also like nuts, extra sharp cheddar cheese, and summer sausage for camping. It's all calorie-dense and fat-heavy, but it's filling and flavorful. Just don't eat too much, it'll be fine. I find it's a lot easier to limit myself to a handful of almonds than cashews, which are just too ****ing tasty, I want to eat them two meals a day if I don't stop myself. Fruit is also a win.

As for the beer problem, I like to smoke weed instead. No calories in smoking weed, and the great high is just so much better when you're outdoors by the campfire, not to mention how much easier it is to sleep on the ground when you're drunk or stoned. As for munchies, you've got to keep it together, and plan out exactly what you will let yourself have, pre-portion it, and stick to it. Better still, don't smoke until after a protein-heavy dinner-- that way you aren't particularly hungry, and you can sort of dodge the bullet on the munchies entirely. YMMV

Alternately, you can starve yourself as you get towards the end of the day and drink liquor. It will metabolize in your liver super quick, get you drunk faster because you've got an empty stomach, and most of it will not be digested as proper calories. But if you are drinking, don't eat with it, and especially not a full meal or a big snack. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about-- I lost 80 lbs in 5 months drinking like a fish (>10 shots a day) and eating about as many calories as I'm having now. I'd be starving at the end of the day, when I could start drinking gin and whiskey (I had no beer while dieting at that time), but I did lose a ton of weight, so I have to assume what I've read about not mixing booze and food is true. I don't drink much anymore, and very rarely liquor, but I certainly did plenty of it back then.

Anyway, it's certainly possible to have a good weekend camping with a bunch of drunks and not go over calories, while eating damn well. If anything, it's almost easier eating well in small portions than going crazy all weekend eating whatever you want-- there's half as much food to bring into the woods that way.