Salmon fears

Options
The bag of salmon I got says its 100 calories for 4 oz. Does it sound accurate? Is it even possible?

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Fish is generally low in calories, so yeah, totally possible.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Hmm that actually does sound a bit low to me. It's an oily fish so higher in calories than some. But if it says that on the bag it should be accurate? Have you looked at the USDA entries on the database. I'm pretty sure when I have salmon it comes in at about 280/300 calories. Although probably for slightly more than 4oz.
  • NealNH
    NealNH Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    USDA for 4oz Atlantic Salmon Raw 161 calories.
    4oz Chinook Salmon Raw 203 calories.
    Link to USDA nutrient database.
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Skin on or off?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the title of this thread. Why are you afraid of salmon? Salmon is delicious. Just log it and enjoy.

Salmon is a fairly fatty fish, but the fats are healthy and good for you.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Thanks every1. I'm afraid because I've been eating all my calories (1340) and I don't want to go over. I already miatakenly ate too many by miscalculating.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Is it farm raised or wild caught? That makes a difference. Wild caught spend their time swimming, so have less fat. Farm raised hang out at the bottom of a pond, more fat.
    incisron wrote: »
    The bag of salmon I got says its 100 calories for 4 oz. Does it sound accurate? Is it even possible?

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    It also depend if it's pink salmon or Atlantic. Pink salmon tends to come frozen and does not contain as much fat content as Atlantic or sockeye.
  • segacs
    Options
    There are almost no wild caught salmon anymore. Anything Atlantic is farmed. Anything Pacific *might* be wild, but if you didn't pay a lot for it, it's probably farmed.
  • incisron
    Options
    My package says wild and its pink. I don't know how much was paid, my mom bought it. I hope its telling the truth.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    There are almost no wild caught salmon anymore. Anything Atlantic is farmed. Anything Pacific *might* be wild, but if you didn't pay a lot for it, it's probably farmed.

Canned and frozen Salmon is typically wild. Salmon fillets are typically farmed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Fresh wild salmon is seasonal. I have no problem finding canned or frozen wild salmon.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Lots of wild salmon left in Canada.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, in the streams in Canada. When they are spawning. Otherwise they are in the ocean.

Trust the package @incisron . You are better off with a belly full of high quality protein than without.
  • incisron
    Options
    Thanks, every1, for all the varied help.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I just took a bag of salmon out of the freezer for dinner tonight...

Alaskan wild sockeye skin on 170g (6oz) 260 calories

So 4oz would be 173 calories

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I've never had an issue finding wild caught salmon frozen or canned...fresh is seasonal. I get these at Costco...

The-Costco-Haul-February-2015-015.jpg

IMG_2392.JPG

pinksalmon.jpg

we eat a lot of salmon...

• segacs
    edited December 2015
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Depends where you live.

I live in the desert.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am scared of salmon. I have never liked it but wanted to try to like it. I bought some weeks ago and froze it until I'm ready. It seemed so stinky to me.