Salmon fears

Options

Replies

• incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    magtart wrote: »
    I am scared of salmon. I have never liked it but wanted to try to like it. I bought some weeks ago and froze it until I'm ready. It seemed so stinky to me.
    Lol!

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im scared of clowns.

creepy mother f******* .....
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love salmon and what worries me is that companies may be less than honest in the whole wild/farmed thing. With the new genetically modified salmon it worries me even more. Before anyone says the gmo aspect doesn't matter, I respect your opinion, but you feed your family what you want and I'll do the same ;)
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    im scared of clowns.

Totally agree
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I just took a bag of salmon out of the freezer for dinner tonight...

Alaskan wild sockeye skin on 170g (6oz) 260 calories

So 4oz would be 173 calories

It depends on the type.

There is one that I keep seeing threads about that appears to be lower than most salmon but it isn't a good salmon (as in taste wise from what I understand). Keta or chum salmon? I can't remember.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    im scared of clowns.

Yeah and they're pretty high in calories too. Better stay away.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im scared of clowns.

Yeah and they're pretty high in calories too. Better stay away.

right? you dont see many skinny ones running around ......
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I catch my own salmon, chinook, coho, and steelhead( sea run rainbow trout) I always go by the USDA entry. It is really good for you, eat it up or send it to me and I will lol!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If it's some non brand thing from Walmart, watch out.. I bought a bag of shrimp there and the label said something ridiculous like 45 calories for 85g... which is pretty much impossible for shrimp.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Don't eat farmed salmon if you appreciate a world with wild salmon...
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I absolutely love salmon and what worries me is that companies may be less than honest in the whole wild/farmed thing. With the new genetically modified salmon it worries me even more. Before anyone says the gmo aspect doesn't matter, I respect your opinion, but you feed your family what you want and I'll do the same ;)

Whether or not gmo hurts people isn't an opinion. It's a fact that we have genetically modified nearly everything we eat and it doesn't hurt and in fact helps us. Take for instance, bananas, they used to have seeds, now because we treat their seeds with colchicine (a toxin commonly found in colchicum autumnus, the autumn crocus) they end up with an odd number ploidy which makes them seedless (and safer for children to eat 'cuz choking hazards). If you don't want genetically modified food be prepared to not eat bananas, corn, all meat, strawberries, apples, and well, everything else that's edible.
  • jeepinshawn
    Options

Whether or not gmo hurts people isn't an opinion. It's a fact that we have genetically modified nearly everything we eat and it doesn't hurt and in fact helps us. Take for instance, bananas, they used to have seeds, now because we treat their seeds with colchicine (a toxin commonly found in colchicum autumnus, the autumn crocus) they end up with an odd number ploidy which makes them seedless (and safer for children to eat 'cuz choking hazards). If you don't want genetically modified food be prepared to not eat bananas, corn, all meat, strawberries, apples, and well, everything else that's edible.

I'm not going to bother correcting all the miss information in that post
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Because there isn't any.
  • prestige89
    prestige89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey guys just thought I would toss in a word of advice we get bombarded with through medical school. Never be afraid of calories more than eating healthy. There are tons of new processed foods that have barely any calories, but have almost no nutritional content either, which is actually worse. Salmon do have high amounts of fat, but its good fat. Fat that your body really needs keep running at peak levels. Studies show that polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids, such as those found in salmon and many other fish, are very important for your body. The fats to avoid are saturated fatty acids, which are actually very low in salmon. The Mediterranean diet is proving to be one of the healthiest lifestyles leading to a blue zone (high amount of people >100 yrs old) in Greece. One key to this diet is fish.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe they ringed it out and washed it so it's not as oily :tongue:

I guess if it's a well known brand then trust the label or just go with the U.S. Food database thing which seems like a good source of this information.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Does gmo include selecting specific plants to grow? Like say you have a fruit, but it's small and bitter but over time you select the larger fruits, the sweeter fruits to replant so you get bigger and sweeter fruit with each harvest.
  • KendraMonster
    KendraMonster Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Pacific Northwest girl here...yum to the salmon! Almost everything I can buy here locally is wild. I can literally walk down the street from my moms house and buy a freshly caught salmon from the local tribe.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it says 100cals for 4 ounces? or does it say 100cals per serve?
    The serving size may be less. It's always best to double check these things, it's easy to read it wrong accidentally.
  • jeepinshawn
    Options

Because there isn't any.

Lolol yeah that's why many other countries ban gmo's.
  • jsuh1993
    jsuh1993 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Farmed salmon imported especially from Norway has MUCHHHHH more fat content than wild ones (from Alaska).

The less amount of white stripping you see, the better it is!!!!