supplement's downsides? fat burning etc

Options
I bought 9 month's worth of "termogen" fat burning pills and appetite suppressants.
Someone found my blogger by searching google for burner downsides, and I'm sure they have lots. the caffeine for example. does anyone here have experience on the like?

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    There are no such thing as "fat burners."
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    The major downside is that you've completely wasted your money.

Other than that, they contain ingredients, just like everything else. I doubt there's much harm to be done by consuming those ingredients in the correct dosage, just like everything else we consume. Unless of course those ingredients don't agree with you, then you have an issue.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Other than that, they contain ingredients, just like everything else. I doubt there's much harm to be done by consuming those ingredients in the correct dosage, just like everything else we consume. Unless of course those ingredients don't agree with you, then you have an issue.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/news/charges-filed-against-makers-nutritional-supplements/?xid=aol_eh-news_12_20151116_&aolcat=HLT
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The downside is that you've been scammed out of money.
  • ModerationWins
    ModerationWins Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you bout stimulants and not supplements. Supplement are useful and needed especially if you're goal is to build lean muscle. For example I take whey protein, BCAA's, Creatine and glutamine (for muscle recovery)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    There are in general two types of "supplements" for weight loss: ones you just waste your money on buying because they are useless and ones that are dangerous to use unless prescribed and monitored by a dr. Hopefully, you fall in the first category, so you have only been a scam victim.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The downside to supplements like the fat burner you mentioned are that they do not work and are designed to scam people out of their money as stated above.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Aside from the losing money from them, the primary ingredient in most of these is caffeine which you can build up a tolerance to, so they no longer have the same effect (so even the extra energy you get from them won't always be there) and you may experience negative side effects when you cut back.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    There are in general two types of "supplements" for weight loss: ones you just waste your money on buying because they are useless and ones that are dangerous to use unless prescribed and monitored by a dr. Hopefully, you fall in the first category, so you have only been a scam victim.

You missed one. Those that are dangerous because supplements aren't regulated, the ingredients, while normally not dangerous, were poor quality and contaminated with something that is dangerous. Like the ayurvedic treatments that were found to be contaminated with harmful levels of various heavy metals.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    The downside is that you've been scammed out of money.
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    The downside to supplements like the fat burner you mentioned are that they do not work and are designed to scam people out of their money as stated above.

^ All of these. You've already lost everything these "supplements" will help you lose - the money you spent on them.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    For caffeine drink green tea or plain coffee.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you bout stimulants and not supplements. Supplement are useful and needed especially if you're goal is to build lean muscle. For example I take whey protein, BCAA's, Creatine and glutamine (for muscle recovery)

There is no such thing as "lean Muscle". Only muscle.

From Bodybuilding.com

Glutamine is pretty much useless, save your money.

BCAAs (Branch Chain Amino Acids) are said to prevent muscle breakdown and aid in recovery- this is true but you know what already has BCAAs in it? Food, any source of protein has and is comprised of branch chain amino acids. Assuming you reach protein sufficiency in your day a BCAA supplement would do nothing to aid you. BCAA supplements may be beneficial if you take pre/intra workout only if you train in a fasted state, or taken between meals if you go 4-6 hours without food. If you do not fit either of those categories they are not needed at all, save the money.

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You just paid a lot of money for caffeine. The only effective fat burners are dangerous, questionably legal, or both.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    So what do you think these pills will really do ? Honestly, you just got expensive caffeine pills ( mixed with other stuff that could be potentially dangerous because they aren't regulated as much as people think )
    If you do lose any weight, it will be from eating at a calorie deficit. ( which I assume your counting calories because your on here )
    See if you can return the scam pills . there's no such thing as a fat burner. You have fallen victim to diet pill derp. See about a refund.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Sorry you wasted your money. Is it too late for a refund?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the fat burner. Combine it with eating less and you have the "Magic" combination.