Protein shake: water or milk?

Options
2»

Replies

• fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened cashew milk (25 cal/cup) or Unsweetened Almond Plus milk (5 gm protein, 40 cal/cup). I've been vegetarian for 27 yrs and became lactose intolerant years ago..... Still ate some cheese and kefir until summer, now vegan. Can't do any of the protein powders mixed in water, don't like the taste
  • meghanmfitzgerald
    meghanmfitzgerald Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Did you try vanilla almond milk as opposed to regular. Also what protein powder are you using. I drink It Works Pro fit and it the best protein powder I've ever tasted. It's not chalky at all.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Try both, see if the extra calories are worth it or not. It depends a lot on your protein powder too.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I like Hood brand Calorie Countdown fat free milk. It mixes really well with my chocolate whey protein and the stats on it are perfect for me (35cal, 4carb, 0fat, 6protein)
  • scorpcookie
    scorpcookie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Always milk for me when it comes to protein shakes.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I tried water, but it just made the shakes taste thin and pasty and not like food. I could have continued on the water route for a while, but I have a rule of not eating or drinking anything I find unpleasant.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I can't do water and i usually cant afford the calories of milk.

I like the following:
    Vanilla Almond Milk (blue diamond brand)
    Coconut Milk
    Vanilla Soy Milk (Silk)

I only drink the above for the calorie content, although i'll admit the coconut milk adds an almost excellent flavor to the protein :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    When I'm cutting-water. Otherwise almond milk tastes good to me.

Have you ever tried greek yogurt in your smoothie? That's good too. Even like 50-60 grams with water and ice does the trick.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Always milk or almond milk. Water...yuck.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    My 'recipe' is one scoop vega one chocolate, 1/3 cup Greek yogurt, 1/3 cup water, 6 ice cubes, 4 oz frozen banana, 1 cup raw power greens, 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder. It gets very creamy & rich tasting. I like getting the bugs from the yogurt!
  • ModerationWins
    ModerationWins Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal if you are staying under your daily allotted calories then use whatever kind of milk you want. But if you're going over your calories and still need the protein don't use milk each scoop of protein powder is like 200 calories. Also if you're adding stuff to the protein drink it's no longer a drink, but rather a smoothies (an additional meal)

Hard personal lesson learned
  • threef
    threef Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Pls be aware Abt cashew. It takes away the calcium already exists. So low fat milk is always good with powder after workout. We are always deficit by few grams of protein, no matter what we eat.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Milk tastes better, but water has zero calories....

I'll usually use almond milk because it's lower cal and adds flavour.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Skim milk and lots of ice... Mixed in a blender. It turns into a frappe of sorts.
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I make my own Kefir at home and use that with my protein powder to make a smoothie in the blender.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I use cold water to make it thicker. Never tried it with milk or drink milk any longer.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I prefer it mixed with milk (usually nonfat), but occasionally just use water.