Cutting Sugar?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Do you have a medical reason to reduce sugar? Otherwise it does not matter for weight loss. I have not tracked sugar in over a year.

Please stop suggesting that a medical reason is the only allowable or valid reason to minimize sugar. People need to discover through trial and error what dietary goals work best for their own body. Don't discourage perfectly valid experimentation.

What? That's not what she said at all.

Tracking sugar doesn't matter unless you have a medical reason to do so, because outside of that it's all about preference. Sugar has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Do you have a medical reason to reduce sugar? Otherwise it does not matter for weight loss. I have not tracked sugar in over a year.

Please stop suggesting that a medical reason is the only allowable or valid reason to minimize sugar. People need to discover through trial and error what dietary goals work best for their own body. Don't discourage perfectly valid experimentation.

she said "it does not matter" and it doesn't

whether it suits you is something different

people come to this site having believed the current hype and the current media hype is noooooo sugarrrrr baddddd

please stop suggesting that others have some kind of pro-sugar agenda because you have an anti-sugar one

I love sugar. I eat sugar every day. Small quantities. It is a valid to limit sugar. OP has personal goals and is not the 'anti sugar' cliche you are fighting.

I'm fighting some group now?

Silly me. There I was thinking I was commenting on a societal perception which has no scientific validity in the vast majority of cases. There was I thinking that I was having a discussion prompted by an OP who said she was struggling to limit sugars within 10-15g

I know you like to foster, shall we call it heated debate for the purposes of this, but sometimes you become a little obvious

Sorry I shall leave this bait dangling, carry on do ...
  • Cathscottage
    Cathscottage Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a quick fix and makes you feel nice inside for about ten minutes but then you crave more and more and more. Stop while you're ahead. Eat more protein that will satisfy you. Drink more as well. Ok that's my bit over. Good luck
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    maybe the OP is concerned about her sugar intake because the WHO has recommended it.
    http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a quick fix and makes you feel nice inside for about ten minutes but then you crave more and more and more.

This is not my experience. It's not a "fix," and I don't crave it.

Some foods with sugar, including fruit and veg and plain greek yogurt, taste good. Ice cream also tastes good.

Without knowing more about OP's goals and what she's having trouble with, it's pretty much impossible to give truly helpful advice. IME, it's pretty easy to eat a sensible amount of sugar (not too much) in the context of a satisfying, balanced and healthy diet.
  • allygory
    allygory Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I watch added sugar since being diagnosed as prediabetic earlier this year.

Both of my parents, and 2 of my grandparents were type-2 diabetics, and I'm definitely headed that way if I don't fix things. I don't find sugar avoidance helps my weight loss (except that many of the things I enjoy that are sugary are way caloric) but I do find limiting added sugar on most days coupled with making sure any starchy stuff I eat has fat/fiber or protein with it, is optimal for me for avoiding the blood sugar spikes and crashes that were making me severely hypoglycemic in the afternoons and after exercise.

I pay no attention to naturally occurring sugar
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

OP clearly and explicitly said she was struggling reducing her sugars.
    IT IS NOT A GOAL THAT WORKS BEST FOR HER.

Whoa, what if she was struggling at other goals, should goals be eliminated if they are a struggle?

If they are unnecessary, yes. Also limiting your sugar is hardly a goal unless you're eating unhealthy amounts of it. The goal is healthy weight loss, for which reducing sugar is one way to possibly achieve it. If that way of achieving your goal is unnecessarily bothersome when a different way might be easier for you... go do one of the different ways, you aren't gonna be happy with this one.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    umaarte wrote: »
    I eat a lot of fruits though for sugar, that's a healthy sugar there rather than anything from refined sugar, process food.

Sugar is sugar, regardless of its source. Your body doesn't differentiate between the two, therefore nor should you. :)

It is worth remembering that refined white sugar is all calories and no nutrients, sugar in natural packages is accompanied by nutrients and other good substances in addition to calories. Calories packed with nice nutrients are the better choice.

And that's not the sugar, that's what comes with the sugar.
    And no one eats straight up sugar out of a bag but usually foods made with sugar, coming with a variety of other macro and micro nutrients.
  • PreventType2Class
    PreventType2Class Posts: 5 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    What is different about the fructose is fruit that makes it healthier than the fructose in soda?

Whole fruit has a lot of fiber which slows down your body's digestion of glucose so you dont to get the insulin spike that soda causes.

• stevencloser
    Options
    What is different about the fructose is fruit that makes it healthier than the fructose in soda?

Whole fruit has a lot of fiber which slows down your body's digestion of glucose so you dont to get the insulin spike that soda causes.

You don't drink soda in a vaccuum usually. You drink it with a meal which may contain other nutrients than sugar, even fiber. All of that gets mixed in your stomach and that lowers any possible spike.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

But the point is that's a difference in the "food" (which no one denies different food having different nutritional characteristics.)

The fructose is the same (despite some bloggers/alarmists claims to the contrary) in either.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    umaarte wrote: »
    I eat a lot of fruits though for sugar, that's a healthy sugar there rather than anything from refined sugar, process food.

Sugar is sugar, regardless of its source. Your body doesn't differentiate between the two, therefore nor should you. :)

It is worth remembering that refined white sugar is all calories and no nutrients, sugar in natural packages is accompanied by nutrients and other good substances in addition to calories. Calories packed with nice nutrients are the better choice.

And that's not the sugar, that's what comes with the sugar.
    And no one eats straight up sugar out of a bag but usually foods made with sugar, coming with a variety of other macro and micro nutrients.

For example (and to agree), if I eat rhubarb with a bit of sugar or an apple, I'm likely to get a similar amount of sugar and will also get nutrients with both.
  • LittleRainbow123
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I seem to be struggling with cutting my sugar intake appropriately. I tend to be very close to on par or slightly above (with 10-15 grams) which of course, isn't ideal. Does anyone have any feasible, reasonable tricks for cutting it a bit? I've been trying to eat more fruit but that hasn't exactly been helping the sugar :(

LittleRainbow123, I snooped your profile and you mentioned that you are trying to lose some weight but you are also concerned about T2D. Are you currently dealing with insulin resistance that impacts your sugar/carb goal for the day, or are you just looking for ideas to help cut back on sugar-heavy foods you tend to overeat/which lead to overeating through cravings (or some combination of the two)?

Profile snooping is ok :) I am looking for the latter of the two. I know I am genetically/biologically at risk for T2D as my grandmother just passed from it so I am very aware of it.

The problem I have as some posters have noted is not the number per se but the fact that it tends to be accompanied by unhealthy habits. I have always had a sweet tooth and struggle with finding foods that satisfy, are still nutritious, but don't require crazy prep (i am a bit lazy lol). For people to say that unless there is a medical reason, there is no reason quite frankly pisses me off because they don't know my body nor do they know what is best for everyone else. If someone knows sugar tends to put them over, that should be respected NOT looked down upon.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

why would people stop suggesting something that is true? Absent a medical condition there is no reason to avoid sugar. You can eat sugar, have an overall healthy diet, and lose weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    percolater wrote: »
    bright_fit wrote: »
    Keeping your sugar in check is super important!! When you eat starchy or sugary foods your blood sugar spikes and then drops quickly and your body wants to raise the blood sugar again hence the cravings. The less sugar you eat the less hungry you'll feel!

Took me years of dieting and mfp to pay attention to how sugar was making me gain weight - not just from the calorie side of things, but from a mental health cravings side of things. Of course I have been addicted to sugar (yes it is a DRUG) since I was a kid - family food was very sugary, packaged. Its a hard battle, really hard to control but the less sugar you invite in the less you'll crave food period.

If you're struggling with cravings read the labels and have a no sugar day or week and tell me you don't feel better!

Agree 100%. I track two numbers, calories and sugar. If the sugar goes too high, even from fruit, I get overly hungry and binge. Sugar causes insulin to flood your system and insulin is a hunger hormone. Watch Dr. Lustig's videos on you-tube if you need motivation to cut sugar.

funny, protein also spikes insulin, but I don't see anyone suggesting that protein be avoided.

and Lustig has been refuted by several people, I will just leave this here..

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

http://feinmantheother.com/2011/07/29/wait-a-minute-lustig-the-threat-of-fructophobia-and-the-opportunity/
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I seem to be struggling with cutting my sugar intake appropriately. I tend to be very close to on par or slightly above (with 10-15 grams) which of course, isn't ideal. Does anyone have any feasible, reasonable tricks for cutting it a bit? I've been trying to eat more fruit but that hasn't exactly been helping the sugar :(

LittleRainbow123, I snooped your profile and you mentioned that you are trying to lose some weight but you are also concerned about T2D. Are you currently dealing with insulin resistance that impacts your sugar/carb goal for the day, or are you just looking for ideas to help cut back on sugar-heavy foods you tend to overeat/which lead to overeating through cravings (or some combination of the two)?

Profile snooping is ok :) I am looking for the latter of the two. I know I am genetically/biologically at risk for T2D as my grandmother just passed from it so I am very aware of it.

The problem I have as some posters have noted is not the number per se but the fact that it tends to be accompanied by unhealthy habits. I have always had a sweet tooth and struggle with finding foods that satisfy, are still nutritious, but don't require crazy prep (i am a bit lazy lol). For people to say that unless there is a medical reason, there is no reason quite frankly pisses me off because they don't know my body nor do they know what is best for everyone else. If someone knows sugar tends to put them over, that should be respected NOT looked down upon.

This is why I said we needed more information. I think people read your post to be focused on either the MFP goal (which many go over with fruit and other such foods) or even a self-imposed goal of 10-15 grams, and were saying not to worry about it unless there was something more: like health concerns, not getting enough of other things you needed, or, of course, if you were going over calories.

I'm still not really understanding -- is it that you are feeling hungry since not eating enough at meals and so snacking on sweet things and overeating? Can you try other sorts of snacks, like nuts or yogurt with berries (which will have sugar, of course), or cottage cheese, or hard boiled eggs? Or do you need help meal planning?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    For people to say that unless there is a medical reason, there is no reason quite frankly pisses me off because they don't know my body nor do they know what is best for everyone else. If someone knows sugar tends to put them over, that should be respected NOT looked down upon.

Re: The bolded...the unspoken/written meaning there is that as a general rule for the general population, it's not necessary absent a medical condition.

I think pretty much everyone tends to offer his/her advice with the caveat (again, sometimes without expressly writing it) that different strokes work for different folks, and that each person needs to find the method that works best for him/her.

The friction lies when people who find the way that works for them try to proclaim that their method will work for everyone and/or when it's pointed out to a new person that indicates he or she is struggling with a particular method, that perhaps a different method might be a better fit.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

Being that more information is now out here for us, a couple suggestions that have worked for me personally, as I tend to have the "sweet tooth" thing myself.

Find alternatives that satisfy the craving for sweets/"junk food" that are overall more nutritionally balanced. For me, I've found protein bars that are tasty enough to satisfy a sweets craving. Sure they have some fats and some carbs/sugars, but I can eat a single one and it keeps me satisfied for a while. As compared to some high sugar/fat treats where eating one makes me want a fifth or sixth one, and even then doesn't do much but make me want to eat more. Some fruits work for me when the cravings are minor. I've never knocked down 5 or 6 apples in a row, but could easily do it with the packaged devilish sweets and fats. Salads any anything else you can apply a topping or dressing to also help for me. I can put a sweet or fatty salad dressing on a large salad, and it's enough to help kill a craving while overall still low calories overall as compared to many alternatives.

Overall I'd say for me natural foods with sugar and/or man made foods with sugar and a higher ratio of protein work for me. But texture, size, etc all plays into it as well. A protein and fruit smoothie is delicious to me, but doesn't fill my desires as much as eating the fruit whole and having a protein bar or piece of chicken. Your mileage may vary, but play with food choices and see what works for you.

And I completely agree on the "medical issues" comments. Nobody here should IMO have to justify any choices they make regarding food. Unless they are suggesting something unhealthy to an alarming degree, I see no practical use in trying to impose my beliefs, preferences, and choices on another. But it's a trend not likely to change on these forums.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

All you said in your OP was that you were "struggling to cut back on sugar". You didn't say why you were trying to cut back. A lot of people hear stories in the media about sugar being evil and think that to lose weight they have to eat low sugar. Obviously, if sugary foods are putting you over your calories, cutting those back will be useful to you. I think you've already gotten a lot of good suggestions for doing so. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

While I am sorry that you get upset, you have to look at it in context and part of the problem is the way MFP is set up. The limitations of sugar is based on WHO and USDA recommendations for added sugar. Unfortunately, MFP doesn't delineate between the different types of sugar. It's quite possible that one can be focusing on whole natural foods and still completely blow away sugar. I frequently do this with 3 servings of fruit, veggies, and dairy. All nutrient dense but containing various types of sugar (fructose, glucose, lactose, etc...). And please understand when people saying, you don't need to worry about it unless you have a medical condition aren't advocating to get a diet high in candy bars or generally accepted "junk food".

Overall, there is a pecking order that I personally follow and you might want to consider it. 1. Calories, Protein, Fiber, all others. In your situation, I would probably considered looking at getting a combination of protein and fiber in most meals. Not only will this help with statiety but it will reduce spikes in blood sugar. So if you do feel you need a treat, you can reduce the impacts. From what I read, this is one technique (along with low carb, keto, etc...)... If I recall, they consider it a slow carb diet.