Protein Shakes?

Options
Are protein shakes good for weight loss? I'm not very good at eating breakfast so I was wondering if a shake would be good for me?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are good at getting some more protein in your diet if you aren't getting enough through your normal daily food intake.

They don't affect weight loss (other than needing to account for the calories contained therein).
  • destiny2844
    destiny2844 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ive been under my calorie intake by a pretty good amount. I'm gonna start having them for breakfast because eating solid food isn't my thing really early in the a.m.
  • LucyP12342014
    LucyP12342014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I couldn't make healthy choices at breakfast time at all. Either nothing or a big bacon egg and mushroom sandwich. I swooped breakfast for a protein shake (a reasonably low au hat one I got off amazon) 6 months ago and along with more exercise and calorie counting I've lost 2 stone since June. It's helped me :)
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ive been under my calorie intake by a pretty good amount. I'm gonna start having them for breakfast because eating solid food isn't my thing really early in the a.m.

I also don't like to eat first thing in the morning, and frequently have protein shakes for breakfast. If it fits into your calorie goal, it's a great breakfast and an awesome boost to your protein target.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you want more nutrients and calories try high protien meal replacement shakes. I try to have one for breakfast every day, that or a protien bar. But a good quality low calorie protien powder is a good way to add protien without all the calories
  • meghanmfitzgerald
    meghanmfitzgerald Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, I replace one meal, usually breakfast with an It Works Pro fit smoothie. Frankly it's the only protein smoothie I've been able to stand the taste of.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Protein shakes are good for hitting your protein macro inexpensively. Meat and eggs can be pricy, protein powder by comparison is pretty cheap and better tasting than egg whites.

I started using it when the days got shorter and my chickens' production went down. Before that I was eating a buttload of eggwhites.

I put protein powder in my morning oatmeal usually.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Maybe start with a protein bar before you buy a giant thing of protein powder.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You don't have to get a giant thing of protein powder. I got a pound of it from GNC for $20, it's lasted me like a month and a half.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    protein shakes are just supplements to help you hit your protein targets and provide for an easy, readily available source...i just don't always have cooked chicken breasts on hand.

protein shakes do not have any magical weight loss properties. if you're wanting to replace a meal, i'd look for an actual meal replacement shake that is going to provide more general nutrition. protein shakes really aren't made to be meal replacements as they don't really provide much in the way of meaningful nutrition other than protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I love smoothies for breakfast. I can sip on them until my hunger really kicks in.

This is more work than my normal peanut-butter/banana/protein powder smoothie, but greener:

4rrhf70v44mh.png