gastric sleeve surgery

Options
Hi everyone , I was wondering if any of you have had the weightloss surgery the gastric sleeve and how you are doing on it. is it easier to maintaine your calorie intake? and in general how quickly did you recover from the surgery and how much weight have you lost? is it something you would recommend to others who need to lose a lot of weight?

Replies

• Run_Away_Turtle
    Run_Away_Turtle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've had it done. From 429 to 263 currently.

It was a life saver.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone , I was wondering if any of you have had the weightloss surgery the gastric sleeve and how you are doing on it. is it easier to maintaine your calorie intake? and in general how quickly did you recover from the surgery and how much weight have you lost? is it something you would recommend to others who need to lose a lot of weight?

Your ticker says you only have 52 pounds to lose. Is that just a first goal, or you overall goal?

Unless you are obese and the benefits of the surgery outweigh the risks, such as the previous poster who was 429 lbs, then I'd say just start now with a calorie deficit. 53 pounds is not really that much to lose.

What are your stats?
  • buberabuy
    buberabuy Posts: 2 Member
    Options

• buberabuy
    buberabuy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    buberabuy wrote: »

• tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i had it done i was 380# on sept 28 now today im 318# its a good choice but it isnt a magic trick you still have to eat well and exercise to loose weight but it helped me
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Your ticker says you only have 52 pounds to lose. Is that just a first goal, or you overall goal?

Unless you are obese and the benefits of the surgery outweigh the risks, such as the previous poster who was 429 lbs, then I'd say just start now with a calorie deficit. 53 pounds is not really that much to lose.

What are your stats?

Also curious about this.
  • elenabrodet
    elenabrodet Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone. My stats are 39 years old. 5'4" and 254 pounds. On my ticker is just a starting goal. I hopefully want to get down to about 145 #s. I went to a free consultation and I have a bmi of 42.3 which is obese. I am having a hard time staying within my calorie allowance everday. I think the gastric sleeve surgery will help me and curb my hunger pains and make me feel full longer.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Elana,

Here is another recent posting on weight loss surgery that might help you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    This approach just temporarily treats the symptom, but not the cause. Soon after you'll be back to where you started, except you'll then have all kinds of digestive issues on top of it. A great money-maker for the medical folks though!! ;)
  • asyrinsgirl
    asyrinsgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had gastric sleeve fourteen months ago. High weight 356, surgery day weight 328, current weight 170.

I still struggle with food addiction and using food as a coping mechanism. It is easier to stick with my plan than it was before surgery, definitely. I'm affected by what I eat a lot more now, and it's worth it to me to eat what makes me feel good rather than what makes me feel bad.

This journey has changed my life. I have always been body positive, even at my biggest. My body now can do more than it could at 350lbs. It may even be able to carry a pregnancy to term.
  • dayzeyblue
    dayzeyblue Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve 3 years ago and yes its been a great tool...but I still have to Count calories and exercise to maintain the 60+lbs I lost...I am 5'4" and was also in the mid 200's when I got the surgery (the healing was very smooth for me and I was up and at em for reg activity in 2 weeks and back at my sedentary job in about a week after surgery, but that is only because I had to get back to work). I have had some ups and downs in weight...some due to injury some due to just going nuts w/ food and not counting cals for periods, which still happens. I can eat enough to regain the full weight, it would just take me all day and hours to still eat 2000-2500 cals a day or a few REALLY bad choices...so it is still a daily struggle against a lifetime of bad cravings. I am still working to my goal weight of 145lbs even 3 years later...it is a tool...it did help me curb my overeating in order to help me retrain my brain on portions, the days of hitting 3 drive-thrus and binging are way behind me...now it would be a waste of money and I would feel so sick and disgusted even partially thru a binge ,instead of in the aftermath. Also, after years of counting calories its almost hard to eat too bad and not be calculating in your head and horrifying yourself...still shocking sometimes when I add things up and For me it was a HUGE help but def not magic. I just started in last few months to get back on the 1200 cal a day diet and exercise 30-45 min 4-6 days a week. It really helps me to build my entire day of meals in the morning before breakfast, that way I know what I'm going to have and I know its within calories so I don't daydream about burgers and fries, I already know what I'm having...period. I will say my BFF also had the same weight to lose tho she is 3" taller than me and she just started about 6 months ago and is down 40lbs...I helped her get started by making her bfast and dinner and counting those cals for her so she could just add to her counter...she had been fighting me on counting cals for years....now 40lbs down she can count her own cals and she now realizes cals in cals out....thats all it is. Good luck to you! Its a personal choice but for me it was the right one...even if I do go bad for a bit I really think the sleeve is what helps me to get right back on track.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone. My stats are 39 years old. 5'4" and 254 pounds. On my ticker is just a starting goal. I hopefully want to get down to about 145 #s. I went to a free consultation and I have a bmi of 42.3 which is obese. I am having a hard time staying within my calorie allowance everday. I think the gastric sleeve surgery will help me and curb my hunger pains and make me feel full longer.

Would you please set your Diary Sharing settings to Public? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Marlanea_VSG
    Marlanea_VSG Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve in May of this year, have lost 75lbs, and am now at goal.

I no longer struggle with craving for sugary or carbohydrate heavy snacks. I know what I need to eat to fuel my body and help me feel good.

I would do the sleeve again in a heartbeat, I love it!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am close to someone who had the sugery eight months ago. She lost some weight and gained some back.
    Still, she is less than she was before she started the process.

• TheJazzSyndicate
    TheJazzSyndicate Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    March 2015-- 306. Surgery in August 2015- 289 Today, 12.15.15 - 219.

The process was explained to me like this by someone who had the bypass years ago "The surgery is a tool. Its 30% physical and 90% mental".

Once i bought off on this, and the fact that i may never eat certain foods again and choose not to eat certain foods again ::looking at you Wendys & MacDonalds:: the decision to have the surgery was easy. The implementation hasnt always been.

Do i still get hungry or cravings? Yes. Do i still eat to fast? yes! Do I screw up occasionally, some times days in a row? Hell yes! Do i sometimes feel like i'm missing out on food? Of course, but less and less. I know im off the daily sugar and carb binging roller coaster. i know im no longer pre-diabetic / on blood pressure meds with an unfilled prescription of zocor for high cholestorol and feeling sick every day cause i ate *kitten*. And just in case i need additional motivation, I think how miserable my dad was the last few years of his life. He was over 400 pounds and missed out on so much fun with his grandkids!

I gotta say i feel pretty good, and it hasnt always been easy, nor will it ever be. I will still always be the fat kid who binge ate BAGS of potato chips while chit chatting at parties. I Just wont let THAT guy run my life anymore.

Like i said at the start, the surgery is 30% physical and 90% mental. hope this wasnt too much and it helps...
  • TheJazzSyndicate
    Options
    March 2015-- 306. Surgery in August 2015- 289 Today, 12.15.15 - 219.

The process was explained to me like this by someone who had the bypass years ago "The surgery is a tool. Its 30% physical and 90% mental".

Once i bought off on this, and the fact that i may never eat certain foods again and choose not to eat certain foods again ::looking at you Wendys & MacDonalds:: the decision to have the surgery was easy. The implementation hasnt always been.

Do i still get hungry or cravings? Yes. Do i still eat to fast? yes! Do I screw up occasionally, some times days in a row? Hell yes! Do i sometimes feel like i'm missing out on food? Of course, but less and less. I know im off the daily sugar and carb binging roller coaster. i know im no longer pre-diabetic / on blood pressure meds with an unfilled prescription of zocor for high cholestorol and feeling sick every day cause i ate *kitten*. And just in case i need additional motivation, I think how miserable my dad was the last few years of his life. He was over 400 pounds and missed out on so much fun with his grandkids!

I gotta say i feel pretty good, and it hasnt always been easy, nor will it ever be. I will still always be the fat kid who binge ate BAGS of potato chips while chit chatting at parties. I Just wont let THAT guy run my life anymore.

Like i said at the start, the surgery is 30% physical and 90% mental. hope this wasnt too much and it helps...

• firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I was looking at having gastric sleeve done. I also have a very large hiatus hernia that would need to be fixed. I was told that due to the hernia, there could be lots of scarring which would result in a lot of medical problems.

I know someone who had it done. She is having a lot of trouble keeping her weight up and eating enough as she is constantly vomiting. There is a lot of food she cannot eat, as it now makes her I'll. She is underweight by 20 pounds. Her Doctor is constantly at her about eating more.

One statement in my research that caused me to think for a long time was that I would be taking a healthy digestive system and making it unhealthy.
  • TheJazzSyndicate
    Options
    I was looking at having gastric sleeve done. I also have a very large hiatus hernia that would need to be fixed. I was told that due to the hernia, there could be lots of scarring which would result in a lot of medical problems.

I know someone who had it done. She is having a lot of trouble keeping her weight up and eating enough as she is constantly vomiting. There is a lot of food she cannot eat, as it now makes her I'll. She is underweight by 20 pounds. Her Doctor is constantly at her about eating more.

One statement in my research that caused me to think for a long time was that I would be taking a healthy digestive system and making it unhealthy.

I had a hiatal (sp?) Hernia as well, but all seems to have healed nicely, my recovery (surgery Aug '15) internal and external has been fine. I know its only my experience, but maybe ask the dotor WHAT the likely hood of that happening is.

As far as taking a healthy system and making it unhealthy - yes techincally you are doing that, but in my humble opinion, look at the whole body.

Even tho i will always struggle with food to some extent (binge/emotional eater) if had the chance i would do the surgery again. No more threat of diabetes/high blood pressure/high cholesteral - no more crazy food induced comas and mood swings on a daily basis. I feel like im in control again and though it will always be work - So far its definitely worth it!
  • FatGirlBrain
    FatGirlBrain Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I'm 45, 5'4" and was tired of the yoyo up and down the scale between 150 and 300 that I'd been doing for the past 25 years so I had vertical sleeve gastrectomy surgery on Nov 5th this year. My highest weight ever was 300, my weight on the date of my surgery was 236, my current weight 6 weeks post op is 208. My goal weight is 155. It's a tool not a magic cure all. The weight is coming off slow and steady, and I no longer have the sugar/carb cravings. I would have done it years ago if I'd known I could...very happy with my decision.