Couch to 5K?

Options
Anyone try it? Any luck? And advice?

I have been losing slowly and took a small break for the last two months. Gained some back BUT I am back on track. The wife has finally decided to lose weight, good for her!! Looking to get the whole family doing the Couch to 5k thing.

Any pointers?

Ted

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I started running a few years ago with c25k. It's a great program! Introduced me to running, which I found I throughly enjoy.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It's a brilliant program!

A few tips... run slow and walk fast! Your run and walk pace should be fairly close. Don't be afraid to repeat days or weeks if you need to.

Running is a gait, not a speed. Speed comes with time. Learning to run is all about building endurance first. Don't worry about fast. Worry about form.

Give it a go and enjoy!
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I also started running with the program. My advice: 1.) Don't go too fast; 2.) Make sure to take rest days; 3.) Good running shoes are not to be underrated; 4.) Have fun!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Make doctors appointments? That way you can know your cholesterol and BP numbers also (free w/ insurance). Great motivator to get healthy. Take before pictures so you can post here your success.
  • AshleyinSTL
    AshleyinSTL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I completed the program and thought it was great. By the end, I was jogging for 30 minutes straight, but I was nowhere near 5 kilometers. That was pretty disappointing. Then I injured my hip, so I had to stop for a while, but when I start again, I'll have to work on my speed.
  • pichu318
    pichu318 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I just started week 3 yesterday. Just make sure to go out on at least 3 runs a week and don't feel pressured to run fast. BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES!! You should see the difference in peoples' legs after they do this o.o
  • ashtree42
    ashtree42 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do it! Two and a half years ago I had trouble running two blocks. This fall I ran a marathon!
    - Run 3x a week. This keeps you motivated and helps prevent injuries.
    - If you don't feel ready to do the next harder workout, repeat the previous one or the previous weeks worth. Move forward when you can.
    - Running with friends or family is the best motivation. You get each other out the door days you might fall victim to the couch.
    - See if there are running groups in your area that have a beginner program. You typically get one group coached workout a week. The best part is meeting the other new runners and sharing the journey.
    - Run outside when you can. Treadmills and even a track can make it harder to stay motivated during a run.
    - Get good running shoes. Best if you are fitted at a running store, but not nessasary.
    - Get comfortable running cloths. It's a lot harder to keep going if you're chaffing.
    - Running slow is fine. It's a lot faster than sitting at home.
    - Drink lots of water.
    - Any calorie calculator is probably doubling what you actually burn.
    - It's going to hurt sometimes. That's ok, just make sure you aren't running on an injury.
    - Have fun!
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 9 at the moment. I've never done any running before, but I can now run for 30 minutes. I'm nowhere near 5k yet, but hopefully that will come. Go for it! But definitely get some proper running shoes!
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    All my life I could run a grand total of 100 metres before getting out of breath and quitting.
    Thanks to C25K getting me started, I can now run 10K in under an hour (and 5K in about 26 to 28 minutes?).

My advice is to do the program, and don't give up (unless you're injured), repeating any day that was particularly strenuous if you need to... but don't push yourself. If you push yourself, you won't enjoy it, and if you don't enjoy it, you will quit. Run as slow as you need! I never pushed myself beyond my boundaries and yet, here I am.
    Also, if you can spare a few dollars and it looks interesting to you, maybe try the Zombies, Run! 5K training app? I can't recommend that game enough - it's what got me from running 20 minutes to running for over an hour!
  • Robo_mooh
    Robo_mooh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I recently started - I'm doing W2D2 this evening! :) I'm already feeling fitter!
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Caitoriri wrote: »
    Also, if you can spare a few dollars and it looks interesting to you, maybe try the Zombies, Run! 5K training app? I can't recommend that game enough - it's what got me from running 20 minutes to running for over an hour!

You and me both! I started with the (free? 99c? - I don't know whether they've started charging for it) 5K training app, and then bought a subscription for the full game. It's really gripping and a great way to motivate you into running.

I started back in April and completed my first 5K at the end of June (see profile pic!). I'm not fast and I've a niggly Achilles so I've not pushed much further, but I hope to complete my first 10K by April.

I think ChachChi has listed all the best tips, but I would reiterate the 'slow down' - if you can't hold a conversation, you're pushing too hard. Speed comes later, you need to work on your muscles and lungs first.

Good luck!

• ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Do it!

I started my weight loss by walking a lot, but, of course, the smaller I got, the more I needed to exercise to keep up the same deficit and still eat enough to keep me full. Running for 30 minutes 3 times/week seemed like it would fit into my schedule really well, as it avoided the faff going to and from a gym and showering there.

I used the NHS Couch 2 5k app and completed it in the 9 weeks- I was running 5k in 35 minutes the week after. Kept it up and shaved off 10 minutes over the next 3 months. What a rush! The slow, steady introduction to it helped it become a habit rather than something I tried, hated and gave up- I see myself as running forever now and I have never felt like that about any exercise before.

I found it great for the family as well; my partner started the programme a few weeks after I did and we are also able to take our kids for shorter runs, which they really enjoy (they are only 6 and 8).

I find I get a little bored by the end of the 5k, but I've just started training for a 10k in May next year. So far, I have found audio books absolutely brilliant for whiling the time away, especially as I am currently just interested in upping duration, before I worry about increasing speed over a longer distance.

Go for it, good luck and if you have to miss a run, don't stress. Just pick it up when you can. Once you are in the swing of it, your progress doesn't just become undone overnight. And, in a few weeks, if you feel like you will stick to it, definitely get properly fitted running shoes. I was so proud of myself the day I finally felt I had earned proper running kicks! I also love my wireless headphones, saves getting tangled up if I need to access my phone from my pocket for any reason.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I want wireless headphones so badly now that you mentioned them!