Weight and inches lost...how do they compare for you?

Options
I was just looking at my measurement records and realized that I have lost almost exactly one inch in my bust, waist, and hips for every ten pounds lost - so I have basically lost a foot in circumference! I've lost one extra inch in my hips. :smile: Overall, my weight has come off proportionally, but it didn't do so exactly one inch at a time. My hips were actually more stubborn at first, and now my waist, after dropping inches very quickly, seems to have slowed. I'm curious what correlation others have found between their weight and inches lost.

Replies

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I was losing inches much faster than pounds at first. At the time I was eating at a very slim calorie deficit plus equal amounts of cardio/weights. Equal protien, fat, carbs roughly. Maybe not losing muscle mass(?) had to do with it? I lost 5 inches on my hips in a half a year but only lost 7lbs. My waist measurements moved but slower, maybe quarter of the speed.

Now I am only relying on diet with a large calorie deficit, lower fat, high carb and protein. My waist is getting smaller slowly but surely. My hips have stayed the same! So very low movement with the measuring tape but huge losses on the scale, 12lbs.

I'm as confused as you. I record everything precisely and about every week so I have clear trends between weight loss and inches lost and how I eat/exercise.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Mine came off from different places at different times, but I lost an inch in the waist and one in the hips for every 6 lbs by the end of it! And at least 0.5 inch in the thigh for each 6 lbs (those came off quickest).

Fortunately, I didn't keep losing in the bust after a certain point, so it all worked out pretty well :) I could tell where I had put it on, and it really was the waist/flanks/tummy and butt. The waist took a long while to start coming off nicely, and then it went much faster towards the last few lbs.

It's also my waist and tummy that can show a few lbs of gain very quickly, so First On Last Off holds very true for me.
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For me, I lost 10 inches from both my waist and my hips. Losing close to 70 lbs that's about an inch for every 7lbs. I am tall though, 175cm. I didn't do any strength training while losing, just running and walking.

I didn't take measurements that frequently, but I seemed to lose weight relatively proportionately from waist and hips over the time. The last 10-20 lbs saw a lot drop off my thighs, face and chest.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I lost an inch from my waist -- the only place I even bothered to measure -- for every 5-5.5 pounds or so. I lost 127 pounds, so basically two feet of circumference.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm 164cm tall and have lost 10cm off my waist and 11cm off my hips going from around 76kg to 70kg, (around 13lb loss). I do a lot of strength training though.
  • pichu318
    pichu318 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have not lost since I (re)started on MFP this December, but I have lost about 5cm on my waist and hips with 2 cm on my chest.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Hmm, my calculations may be a little off since my measurement records don't start until a couple months after I started losing weight. You guys have all been losing lots of inches!