Treadmill with incline burns more calories?

Options

Replies

• mrsaniamanning
    mrsaniamanning Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't like holdin on lol
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I found this calculator to be fairly helpful. It even gives references for the formulas it uses. Incline can significantly increase the calorie burn, but only if you don't hold on! This calculator agrees almost exactly with the treadmill I use, so much so that I think the treadmill may use the same equations.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

I tried out the calculator on this shapesense site as well, and checked out the net calories one for my stats, but it has left me somewhat even more confused as the net calorie burn is higher (on shapesense) than the net calorie burn I get when I use the .30 x lbs x miles formula.

I guess like others have mentioned in this thread, these things are trial and error, and to just judge things on our progress throughout the weeks and months, and make adjustments if needed.

I was/am losing weight, so the overestimated burn I was giving myself didn't hinder things, but I'm glad I am coming across these formulas now rather than being stuck down the road not knowing why!
  • mrsaniamanning
    Options
    Fursian wrote: »
    I found this calculator to be fairly helpful. It even gives references for the formulas it uses. Incline can significantly increase the calorie burn, but only if you don't hold on! This calculator agrees almost exactly with the treadmill I use, so much so that I think the treadmill may use the same equations.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

I tried out the calculator on this shapesense site as well, and checked out the net calories one for my stats, but it has left me somewhat even more confused as the net calorie burn is higher (on shapesense) than the net calorie burn I get when I use the .30 x lbs x miles formula.

I guess like others have mentioned in this thread, these things are trial and error, and to just judge things on our progress throughout the weeks and months, and make adjustments if needed.

I was/am losing weight, so the overestimated burn I was giving myself didn't hinder things, but I'm glad I am coming across these formulas now rather than being stuck down the road not knowing why!

Where'd you get the .3xweightxmiles formula?
  • Fursian
    Options

The formula is from the Runners World site. They give the gross and net calories burned for both running and walking. A few people on MFP kindly shared the link, which I'm thankful for

Running Gross calorie burn: .75 x weight in lbs x distance in miles
    Running Net calorie burn: .63 x weight in lbs x distance in miles
    Walking Gross calorie burn: .53 x weight in lbs x distance in miles
    Walking Net calorie burn: .30 x weight in lbs x distance in miles

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning
  • mrsaniamanning
    Options

The formula is from the Runners World site. They give the gross and net calories burned for both running and walking. A few people on MFP kindly shared the link, which I'm thankful for

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

Ohhh nice :) what about incline?
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I have been told that walking at some incline is actually easier on the body, than walking without. The burn is higher and if it gives less chance of injury it is a win, win for me. I burn about 90 calories per 20 minute mile at an incline of 3.

I keep my treadmill on a slight incline. It seems easier on me. Think it has helped me build endurance.

I sometimes hold on too because I need to get balanced when switching the settings. Grace is not middle name.

I wear a Fitbit Zip. Other exercise I enter 1 calorie for the burn. The estimated burn makes me nervous to eat any of the calories. The treadmill calorie burn number is almost double what Fitbit says. I completely ignore it other than to say I wish!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I don't find that Runner's World formula to be accurate with my Fitbit, which I've found really reliable.

It's WAAAAAAAY under what Fitbit would give me.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The Runner's World formula is actually pretty close to what my Fitbit gives me for running, I think. YMMV.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I don't find that Runner's World formula to be accurate with my Fitbit, which I've found really reliable.

It's WAAAAAAAY under what Fitbit would give me.

I suspect the shapesense one is better since it is based on actual height and weight and, especially, actual speed, which allows for a better calculation of BMR and ability to deduct that, and not just what seems to be a rough estimate.

The RW one is going to work better for shorter time periods with less variability, but that's where the adjustment is less necessary.
  • Fursian
    Options

Ohhh nice :) what about incline?

Afraid not. I also walk at an incline. Perhaps there is a way to use shapesense's incline % calorie burn with the Runner's World formula, integrating them, lol

@PeachyCarol, The Runner's World formula is the lowest calorie burn I've came across, and I guess with all the overestimations that people are getting from wearable fitness devices and machines, it makes you gravitate to the lowest burn you can find, to "be safe"

If I use RW, I get 246 calories, net, for walking 6 miles
    If I use SS, I get 364 calories, net, for walking 6 miles

118 calorie difference
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think the RW one may be off, at least for some sizes of people, as when I calculate it out for walking it seems to overestimate what I'd burn in that hour anyway.

OP is pregnant, also, so she shouldn't be underestimating burn (this is something I discovered last night when I saw another thread).
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is pick a method (let's say eat all of the calculated exercise calories back) and monitor your results over a meaningful time frame (eg 4 weeks). If its working towards your goal then great, if not then readjust.
  • Fursian
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think the RW one may be off, at least for some sizes of people, as when I calculate it out for walking it seems to overestimate what I'd burn in that hour anyway.

OP is pregnant, also, so she shouldn't be underestimating burn (this is something I discovered last night when I saw another thread).

Ah. Yes, in this case, definitely don't want to underestimate.
  • gettinfabnfit
    gettinfabnfit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes you will burn more because it's like walking on a hill, I actually returned my treadmill though because I couldn't afford a decent model for my needs and find my elliptical burns a tad more because I don't run
  • mrsaniamanning
    Options
    Yes you will burn more because it's like walking on a hill, I actually returned my treadmill though because I couldn't afford a decent model for my needs and find my elliptical burns a tad more because I don't run

How do you calculate the elliptical?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn is based on workload intensity and weight. That's it. Height, gender, fitness level, etc., do not affect work rate enough to significantly alter the number.

Since walking at an incline increases the workload intensity, oxygen cost--and thus calorie burn--will increase. There is nothing exotic or mysterious about this effect. Any increase in the workload--increasing speed or increasing incline--will increase calorie burn.

Since many people cannot run for various reasons, incline walking is an excellent way to increase both fitness training and calorie burn. All things being equal, it is usually better to increase the incline rather than increasing speed: e.g. if one was walking 3.0/6%, it would be better to keep speed the same and increase incline to 8%-12%, rather than increase speed to 4.0 mph and keep incline the same.

If you do not hold on to the handrails, estimating calories is relatively straightforward and reasonably accurate. Most commercial treadmills will give you a reliable reading (if the TM number differs from an HRM, it is likely the HRM is the less accurate number).

In the case of the OPs workload, the exercise intensity is about 7.4 METs (gross). Multiply that by body wt in kgs (66kg) and you get about 480 kcal per hour, or roughly 415-420 net.

• Azdak
    Options

How do you calculate the elliptical?

You estimate. Since all elliptical movements are different, there is no standard equation that can estimate calories. The calculators on the machines accurately measure workload, but the equations they use to translate that effort into calories burned are not very accurate, so the number you get is not reliable.
  • mrsaniamanning
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Calorie burn is based on workload intensity and weight. That's it. Height, gender, fitness level, etc., do not affect work rate enough to significantly alter the number.

Since walking at an incline increases the workload intensity, oxygen cost--and thus calorie burn--will increase. There is nothing exotic or mysterious about this effect. Any increase in the workload--increasing speed or increasing incline--will increase calorie burn.

Since many people cannot run for various reasons, incline walking is an excellent way to increase both fitness training and calorie burn. All things being equal, it is usually better to increase the incline rather than increasing speed: e.g. if one was walking 3.0/6%, it would be better to keep speed the same and increase incline to 8%-12%, rather than increase speed to 4.0 mph and keep incline the same.

If you do not hold on to the handrails, estimating calories is relatively straightforward and reasonably accurate. Most commercial treadmills will give you a reliable reading (if the TM number differs from an HRM, it is likely the HRM is the less accurate number).

In the case of the OPs workload, the exercise intensity is about 7.4 METs (gross). Multiply that by body wt in kgs (66kg) and you get about 480 kcal per hour, or roughly 415-420 net.
    Wow thank you this is wonderful :)

• Azdak
    Options

All walking/running estimators (including MFP) probably use the ASCM metabolic equations, as they are simple and reasonably accurate. So they should agree.