Random Question: HomeOwners

Options
soldiergrl_101
soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
I am a new home owner, I was just curious if this is a normal homeowner issue, and if you have any similar situations how did you handle it?

My neighbors tree almost killed my dog yesterday it landed within inches of her...There are 4 more trees attached that are rotted and could fall any day landing on my dog or house. The rich *kitten* behind me don't give a *kitten*, but I cant take them down because there on their property line and I'd be liable legally if they wanted to be dicks :/ Every department a call says im pretty much SOL wait for the trees to fall and then sue their *kitten*...but I dont want my dogs to get hurt that is my concern.

Any helpful tips or ideas, out of all the problems I could foresee, with owning a home I cant believe this is an issue

(see how cute they are, cant have them worrying about trees)
1pma1ve3uznl.jpg

Thanks in advance

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I don't really think there's anything you can do. It's THEIR property. Keep YOUR dogs/kids/etc safe.
  • BiggieSmallsInc
    BiggieSmallsInc Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Had the same issue, my neighbor never cut the trees down because they were leaning on my property and he didn't care. I asked him a few times but no avail. Last hurricane actually blew it down into his yard so I was lucky.
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    Unfortunately none of them hang over my property they just go straight up but when the wind falls they always blow into my yard and their are no leaves to trim on them either. But their small enough around to just pull down with some pressure and rope I think, but they wont let me take them down :/

I want to say they are Birch trees cuz they are so thin and brittle but i'm not sure. Its unfair to keep my dogs locked up inside because she wont clean up her mess.

e1h575acduer.jpg
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    Had the same issue, my neighbor never cut the trees down because they were leaning on my property and he didn't care. I asked him a few times but no avail. Last hurricane actually blew it down into his yard so I was lucky.

You were lucky, I wish a hurricane would take these out so I could be done with the matter. Oh and those are her barrels and piles of crap too
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've had two separate issues over the past 25 years. The first time, I needed a bush moved at the side of my house, so that our house could be connected to the sewer. The bush was on my neighbors property. I asked her if I could uproot it and replace it after excavation. She said No. Told me to have them go under the house. Didn't like that idea, so I pulled the bush out one weekend when she wasn't home. I put a new bush in when it was finished. She didn't talk to me for about 10 years. I got over it.

Last year, the neighbor on the other side of me had a tree between our driveways. Cherry Blossom Tree. I was getting tired of cleaning cherry blossoms off my car, because that was the way the wind blew. I bypassed the "asking for permission". Bought a chainsaw and severely trimmed the tree. Neighbor never mentioned it.

Doesn't answer your question, I know. But you know the old saying? "Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission."
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I've had two separate issues over the past 25 years. The first time, I needed a bush moved at the side of my house, so that our house could be connected to the sewer. The bush was on my neighbors property. I asked her if I could uproot it and replace it after excavation. She said No. Told me to have them go under the house. Didn't like that idea, so I pulled the bush out one weekend when she wasn't home. I put a new bush in when it was finished. She didn't talk to me for about 10 years. I got over it.

Last year, the neighbor on the other side of me had a tree between our driveways. Cherry Blossom Tree. I was getting tired of cleaning cherry blossoms off my car, because that was the way the wind blew. I bypassed the "asking for permission". Bought a chainsaw and severely trimmed the tree. Neighbor never mentioned it.

Doesn't answer your question, I know. But you know the old saying? "Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission."

Actually this was great thank you. Im debating if maybe like you said when shes not home just tie the ropes around them and pull...see if they fall down and then blame it on the wind lol ...Oops. Thats probably where I went wrong I shouldnt have asked in the first place they probably wouldnt have noticed
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Poison the tree when they aren't looking.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    That'll just help it fall over. It won't cause the direction and it won't pick the time. Still a threat to the dogs.

• ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    That'll just help it fall over. It won't cause the direction and it won't pick the time. Still a threat to the dogs.

but you'll know it's coming, so you'll be prepared ;)
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options
    have you talked to your neighbors?

I have, 6 months ago when the first tree fell...They seemed nice and willing to help. Then three months went by and nothing, so i went over there again and said I just wanted to see how the search was coming blah blah blah and they basically said that its too expensive and they arent going to pay for it and that I can pretty much go *kitten* myself. Now that this second tree fell and almost killed my dog im trying to seek out a better alternative to make this happen
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

I have, 6 months ago when the first tree fell...They seemed nice and willing to help. Then three months went by and nothing, so i went over there again and said I just wanted to see how the search was coming blah blah blah and they basically said that its too expensive and they arent going to pay for it and that I can pretty much go *kitten* myself. Now that this second tree fell and almost killed my dog im trying to seek out a better alternative to make this happen

So they said they wouldn't pay for it. Did they literally say "go *kitten* yourself" or is that the approach you're taking since they won't pay to have them removed? Have you offered to pay?
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,784 Member
    Options
    If you have an HOA talk to them, if not talk to your city. Most cities will issue the person a notice giving them a certain amount of time to take care of the issue. If it isn't resolved within that time the city will do it and charge them for the work.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you talk to your insurance agent and see if they will reach out to the homeowner. If they will not, a certified, registered letter kindly explaining why you would like the trees removed will be a tremendous benefit when/if they do fall on your property. If you offer to pay for 1/2 the cost of removal, that may sweeten the deal and convince them you see it as a threat and they may come around.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    "Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission."

Terrible advice. Opening yourself up for trespassing, destruction of private property, emotional anguish, etc.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    GDLAZ wrote: »
    If you have an HOA talk to them, if not talk to your city. Most cities will issue the person a notice giving them a certain amount of time to take care of the issue. If it isn't resolved within that time the city will do it and charge them for the work.

I don't think this is always true.

Not to mention, at the end of the day, the trees belong to that homeowner in that homeowners yard.

If OP would like to have the trees removed, I think it should be at OP's expense if the homeowner is okay with it. There are liabilities involved for the homeowner too if the trees are removed.
  • efink85
    efink85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    From my many years of watching "People's Court", here is my advice. First, put your neighbors on recorded notice. Just talking to them won't stand up in court, send them a certified letter stating what happened and your concerns about a future recurrence. If in the future their trees falls on your property and damages it (including pets) they are now liable for damages since you warned them about the problem in the past and they did nothing. Other than that, I don't think you can proactively do too much. As long as the tree doesn't cross onto your property, you would have to pay damages if you cut their tree on their property (any thing that hangs over the property line you can cut). You may be able to get an arborist to certify the tree is dead/diseased and needs to be removed for safety reasons, at which point you could either talk to city hall about any local regulations or sue them in small court (why not, worth a try if its really worrying you, just bring lots of proof that its a dangerous situation i.e. pics of last instance, pics of current trees, certified arborist's letter or better yet bring them to court with you).
  • soldiergrl_101
    Options

So they said they wouldn't pay for it. Did they literally say "go *kitten* yourself" or is that the approach you're taking since they won't pay to have them removed? Have you offered to pay?

I have offered to take down the trees, no need to pay since I know plenty of tree cutters with businesses in that field. Also offered to put them in contact with them and they could work out a deal amongst each other. They told me they wont take down the tree its not their problem "not to go *kitten* myself, but reading between the lines that's how it came across". Mind you they still didnt pay for the fence that their other tree destroyed either when it fell after they said they would.