How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
Recently I've been reading some conflicting information about losing weight and weighing yourself. In some places I have read it is best to weigh yourself once a week because doing it daily you won't see any major difference and it can be frustrating. But I have also read that if you weigh yourself daily you can see what you are doing wrong in terms of either eating too much or not enough so you can make the change immediately. You can better track yourself. I usually weigh myself once a week, but now I can't decide. What do you all do?

Replies

• katiehitz
    katiehitz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My trainer just told me he wants me to wait A MONTH to weigh in! I think it depends on the person. If its damaging to weigh every day, don't do it. I'm going to shoot for 2 weeks.
  • heidikins7
    heidikins7 Posts: 22
    Options
    I weight every morning.... and yeah, it's frustrating, but I can't help it. It's a sick addiction.
  • ShannonBurdick
    Options
    I used to weigh in every day and it made me super fustrated to see the ups and downs. Now I weigh in once a week. I can't handle waiting any longer than that! lol
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I weight every morning.... and yeah, it's frustrating, but I can't help it. It's a sick addiction.

I can't help myself either. I like need to know. I sometimes even weigh myself after meals but thats mostly for laughs and not serious.
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. In fact, I weigh multiple times daily. It's not for everyone, but it helps me know how what I put in my mouth alters my weight throughout the day. I "officially weigh in" once a week, in the morning, after using the bathroom and with no clothes on. It's the most accurate way to weigh. I can't handle weeks or months without weighing in. I need to see proof that what I am doing is either working or not working so I can adjust accordingly.
  • Heraci
    Heraci Posts: 23
    Options
    I'd have to agree with Katie. It definitely depends on the person. If you're looking for instant gratification, but won't get too upset if it's not there, then do it a lot. If not, then once a week or so should be fine. Personally, I weigh myself every morning after I wake up. I'm not trying to cut weight, just trying to maintain, so that may have a factor in when I weigh myself as well. Whenever you weigh yourself, it should be a consistent time of the day because your weight will fluctuate a lot throughout the day.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

me too :)
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    No more than once a week, always first thing in the morning and on the same.
  • dHowe4406
    dHowe4406 Posts: 114
    Options
    I weigh my self once a week, it seems to be good for me. Other people like two weeks, I wouldn't go longer than that. I have read that you can weigh your self once a day but you need a scale that goes to the one hundredth so you can see your progress.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Personally, my weight fluctuates too much each day to know if it's my diet or something else to blame. I weigh myself once a week. If I'm worried I'm not on track, I'll weigh in every 3 or 4 days, but take it with a grain of salt. I'd say it definitely depends on the person.
  • Brooke1542
    Brooke1542 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself multiple times a day. It's probably not a good idea, but I've gotten used to seeing the numbers fluxuate so it doesn't bother me and seeing what I weigh at the begining of the day or end of the day makes me feel more in control.
  • Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I weigh anywhere from every three days to once a week. I work in a healthcare setting and I figure that work's scales are more accurate than mine, so I try to weigh right away when I get in on the first day of my work week. Since my schedule changes a lot, it can be up to a week before I can get on a scale.

For me, if I weighed every day, then I would become obsessive about my weight. Water retention, food, clothes all play a factor in a person's weight from moment to moment. I'd get too caught up in the changing number if I weighed that often. That's just me though.
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

me too :)

I definetly have this addiction as well. Usually im not dissapointed and if/when i do gain it doesnt bother me as much because I can usually pin point why :) other than that I just like to see the numbers every morning.
  • Madone993
    Madone993 Posts: 9
    Options
    I weigh on average twice a day. Once when I wake up and once at night before bed, its interesting to note that whatever I weigh before I go to bed the weight I see in the morning is almost always exactly three pounds less than the weight the night before no matter what the weight is.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh myself in once a week but I find that hard to do. Official weigh in day is Tuesday mornings. I'll usually sneak in a weigh in on Friday morning and then on Sunday morning to see if my numbers are going in the right direction.

I agree...sick addiction. :grumble:
  • kateistoned
    kateistoned Posts: 116
    Options
    I weigh myself nearly daily - I LOVE to see my progress. By having a scale accurate to .2 pounds, I can see weight changes in literally 1-2 days, which is awesome and super motivating. Not to mention, seeing my weight (which I'm already proud of just because it's the lowest its been in AGES) every morning is a way to start the day with a reminder of my weight loss. I just feel like it helps keep me accountable to myself. However, I only log the weight if its a loss (unless I wind up gaining weight for more than 2 weeks but that hasn't happened yet). Even if I was dehydrated or whatever on the day that I recorded that lowest weight, just seeing the number (I know its not all about the scale but I like to see numbers) motivates me to make sure to maintain that weight and lose even more!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily. Yes its a sick addiction but it depends on your mind set. There are studies out there that show people who weight daily are more likely to be successful losing weight and keep it off more efficiently. YOU have to have the mindset though that if its up a pound one day that doesnt mean kill yourself at the gym and eat nothing, drink some extra water incase its sodium and wait a couple of days of weigh ins to see if its a permanent resident (or if you just need a good bowel movement)
  • CoachKaren
    CoachKaren Posts: 90
    Options
    I weigh and measure every 30 days. It was once a week at first. Now, Once every 30 days.
  • gmann1973
    gmann1973 Posts: 247
    Options
    I weigh every 5 min lol just kiddig I do week by week because your body weight can fluctate at least 1 to 2 lbs. due to water weight. in the course of a day. I take mine every sunday when wake up before I eat or drink anything.
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i weight myself everyday but i only track it once a week. i really dont think i can go more than 1 day without getting on the scale.