some diet help please

Options
So here are my stats as of today.
Height :6'2
Weight 243lbs
Age 30
Sex :Male
BF: 20-25% just a guess

Im usually eating around 2500 calories a day. The macro break down is as follows not everyday is the sames.

Protein: 220g-250g
Carbs: 130-160g
Fats: 60-100g

I lift 4-5 days a week and cardio at least 4 days. Im trying to save as much muscle as possible while losing BF. Does my intake seem right for these goals or should I reasses what im eating? My food journal should be open to public if that helps

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight? Is it at a healthy rate (~1 to 2 pounds a week)? If so, I think you're good. I do not think you are in danger of losing an excess amount of muscle if that is your intake. At a certain point you'll need to cut calories further but if you're losing right now, I wouldn't change anything.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've had good success so far. The protein might even be a touch on the high side. I am guessing you already know this, but just in case: A progressive heavy lifting routine (like SL 5x5) will be your largest factor in retaining as much muscle as possible while cutting weight if you've got nice steady goals and the protein isn't lacking (and your protein certainly isn't!)
  • Bama1818
    Bama1818 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Losing weight for me is a little odd I've read up on it. I could stall out for a week or two but then all the sudden 4-5 pounds are gone and stay gone. Some people just are like that from all the reading I've done. I'm built like a strong fat guy so losing muscle do to calorie cutting is a big fear. Don't want to be skinny fat in the end.
  • Bama1818
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    Looks like you've had good success so far. The protein might even be a touch on the high side. I am guessing you already know this, but just in case: A progressive heavy lifting routine (like SL 5x5) will be your largest factor in retaining as much muscle as possible while cutting weight if you've got nice steady goals and the protein isn't lacking (and your protein certainly isn't!)

I think the protein is a little high myself but all the reasearch I've been doing says go between 1-1.5 grams of body weight per day. Does this seem right or have I been mislead? If its wrong where would you suggest I get the calories I'd need to replace from cutting down on the protien?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Bama1818 wrote: »
    Losing weight for me is a little odd I've read up on it. I could stall out for a week or two but then all the sudden 4-5 pounds are gone and stay gone. Some people just are like that from all the reading I've done. I'm built like a strong fat guy so losing muscle do to calorie cutting is a big fear. Don't want to be skinny fat in the end.

Yea I'm in the same boat my weight is weird like that also. I'm 6'4 230 ish and I lose like 1-1.5 lbs per week at that intake level depending on my activity level. Sounds like your plan is working so i would just stick with it.
  • jemhh
    Options

Sounds like you are doing well then. While 1-2 pounds a week is commonly said to be the safe rate, I believe it is actually up to 1% of your body weight. It sounds like you are within that range so I would not worry about excessive muscle loss.
  • Lindsaycardiodays
    Lindsaycardiodays Posts: 8 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Your fat and carbs are too low. Your protein is too high. Current research has found that between 0.7-1g per pound of fat free mass is optimal for athletes or those individuals looking to improve body composition.
    You should be eating up to (max.) 1 gram of protein per pound of lean muscle mass, not your total body weight. You can just google that if you want to check it out for yourself.
    Best of luck!
  • Bama1818
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Sounds like you are doing well then. While 1-2 pounds a week is commonly said to be the safe rate, I believe it is actually up to 1% of your body weight. It sounds like you are within that range so I would not worry about excessive muscle loss.

Well that adds some relief to my concerns for sure thank you
  • Lindsaycardiodays
    Options
    bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
  • jemhh
    Options
    Your fat and carbs are too low. Your protein is too high. Current research has found that between 0.7-1g per pound of fat free mass is optimal for athletes or those individuals looking to improve body composition.
    You should be eating up to (max.) 1 gram of protein per pound of lean muscle mass, not your total body weight. You can just google that if you want to check it out for yourself.
    Best of luck!
    bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

While I agree that 1 gram per pound of bodyweight is not necessary, there's nothing harmful about eating it. Your phrasing of "You should be eating up to (max.) 1 gram of protein per pound of lean muscle mass" makes it sound like eating that much is detrimental. Barring medical issues, it is not.
  • Bama1818
    Options
    Best of luck!

While I agree that 1 gram per pound of bodyweight is not necessary, there's nothing harmful about eating it. Your phrasing of "You should be eating up to (max.) 1 gram of protein per pound of lean muscle mass" makes it sound like eating that much is detrimental. Barring medical issues, it is not.

I read the article and towards the end it states that any excess protien will just be used for an energy supply.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Best of luck!

I read the article and towards the end it states that any excess protien will just be used for an energy supply.

Yes. Any excess anything is used as an energy supply or it makes you gain weight. If you like it, eat up. If not, don't.