Working moms and exercise

Options
Looking for supportive moms who work and still have time to exercise ! Add me :) I need realistic motivation :)

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My kids are all in college now but when they were younger I always carried sneakers in my car. I would walk around the parking lot and sometimes the track as I waited for them to get out of practices or other activities. Remember 10 minutes 3 times a day is still 30 minutes. :)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mom, but I'm a working dad with 2 kids under 5. I work out after they go to sleep.
  • iheartcookies2
    iheartcookies2 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Working mom here. :) I work out four times a week at the gym during my lunch time.
  • jesguinn
    jesguinn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm a working mom (and I spend about three hours a day commuting- yuck!) During the week I wake up at 4:00 to get my workout done in the morning before work, and on the weekends I try to have my workout done before 9:00. It's tough, but this is the only way that I feel like I can get a good workout in without sacrificing time with my family.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Another working mom here! I am a single mom to a 5, 4, and 3 year old and work a corporate job. I workout before they wake up or after they go to bed and so far that with counting calories have helped me lose 42lbs. :)
  • Mkstehle
    Mkstehle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Working Mom here with 2 boys, 12 & 14. I wake up before them to get my workout in. I know if I don't, it won't get done. I realized (finally) that I really need to work on my eating above everything else. That's the hardest part. Working out is easy for me, eating well is not!
  • resilientmom
    resilientmom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Working mom of a 12 year old boy! Just starting the workout routine as of today. Definitely here to support and I'm sure I could use it too! Feel free to add me!
  • joyceo116325
    joyceo116325 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Working mom of an almost 2 year old and 4 year old. I too get up super early to exercise. In the office I try to walk as much as I can. It's hard but possible! Feel free to add me ladies. :)
  • Havasufalls
    Havasufalls Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    60 hour week working mom of 4 kiddos! I exercise at the gym 3x a week and do home dvds after they go to bed or early Sat morning. It's hard, but definitely possible :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jesguinn wrote: »
    I'm a working mom (and I spend about three hours a day commuting- yuck!) During the week I wake up at 4:00 to get my workout done in the morning before work, and on the weekends I try to have my workout done before 9:00. It's tough, but this is the only way that I feel like I can get a good workout in without sacrificing time with my family.

I have the same length commute. Spending that much time in the car freaking sucks.

Working mom, 2 kids, 14 and 11. I try to get workouts done in the afternoons as soon after work as possible. I don't go to the gym, so often I invite the family to come with me. We all have bikes, so we bike together, and when I'm running, often one of my boys will 'run' along side me on a scooter and tell me about their day. I find it's a great way to get both family time as well as one on one time with my boys. When I'm doing body-weight exercises at home, they're often right there with me doing them too, and they love it. :) However, there are also times where I need to work out hard (usually a lengthy, fast run) and that's great 'get your head on straight' time that I take FOR ME, and for those workouts, I leave my men at home but generally come home in a much better mood than I would have been in otherwise.
  • aileenarredondo
    aileenarredondo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies you all are some inspiration :) glad to meet you
  • a2wom
    a2wom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Working mom with a 9 year old and 12 year old. I workout at 5:30 a.m. I know I won't go by the time I get home from work or after the kids go to bed. Finding an early morning workout partner helps a lot - so I actually get up when the alarm goes off rather than hitting snooze.
  • gardnercranston
    gardnercranston Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Working mom of three- age 6 and under. Like others, I need to be at the gym first thing in the morning, otherwise it's doesn't happen.
  • wendymc1977
    wendymc1977 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time working mom with half time custody of my two kids, and my partner's two kids also live with us half time.
    I'm lucky there is a gym where I work ( a community college) and even some fitness classes. I'm hoping to sign up for a couple in the new year, to get me moving. If I pay for something, I'm motivated to do it.

Sometimes I sneak out and walk around the campus for a quick break, it's just under a kilometer, about 10 minutes, so a nice little walk.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Working mom of a 2 year old and 5 year old. No crazy commute, but I'm up at 4:15 to work out 5 times a week. It's definitely not ideal, but you get used to it.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Working mom. Two jobs: school sub & weekend caregiver. No littles left, youngest is 13. Sometimes single when husband works far away for a stretch. No help, paid, familial or other. Yes for the love of god carry sneaks at all times & walk whenever you can! Also, make gym dates like dentist appts... unbreakable. (That's still hard for me. But it is necessary.) Even though I work 7 days a week, I do benefit from 6-7 hour days and short commutes. I often walk right when school lets out at a trail or park near that days sub assignment. I do yoga whenever I can fit a class in and try not to miss weekly Zumba & UrbanKick because that's where I get a HIIT style workout. When time is short or weather is bad I hit the YMCA a block away to do treadmill.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I do body weight stuff here there and everywhere, usually with my cat bitching in the background that she wants to be fed.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have 8 month old twins and work full time. I try to walk or run on the treadmill 4 nights a week and strength training the other 2. Not always possible but at least I try!
  • mandyrene21
    mandyrene21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Working mom to a 2 year old...I go to the gym around 6:30am 3 days/week to get my workout before work. I also go on my lunch break some days. It's tough but we can do it :smile:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm a secondary school teacher 4 days a week, I have 3 kids (6, 4 and 19 months) and my husband does shift work. I still work out at least 3 times a week! At the moment I have 2.5 weeks off as it's Xmas holidays, so I'm making the most by exercising pretty much every day lol.

When my husband is on late shift it's the hardest, especially as I'm stuck at work til 5ish (lessons finish at 2:55!) twice a week. The other days I go from work to the gym, then straight to collect my kids (they're only in after school club/nursery til 6).

Being a teacher and on my feet all day makes it easy to get my 10,000 steps a day. Plus my kids don't sit still!