124»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    007Aggie wrote: »
    I think company owners and management really need to think about this in terms of employee health. A cake/box of donuts/whatever as an occasional treat is one thing, but fostering an environment of constant junk isn't good for employee health, and therefore isn't good for the company. Don't forget about productivity losses, sick days, and increased health insurance costs.

Agreed. When we had Mandatory Saturdays, lunch would be provided, we would all overeat, and be in a food coma for the rest of the day. We were really only productive for the two hours before lunch.

Providing something does not equal forcing said people to eat it. When we have company lunches some people eat a lot and others eat little. I fail to see how it is the employers fault as to what volume of food people choose to eat.

I didn't say the employers were forcing employees to eat. My point was that providing the food was a fail from a productivity standpoint.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I think company owners and management really need to think about this in terms of employee health. A cake/box of donuts/whatever as an occasional treat is one thing, but fostering an environment of constant junk isn't good for employee health, and therefore isn't good for the company. Don't forget about productivity losses, sick days, and increased health insurance costs.

Agreed. When we had Mandatory Saturdays, lunch would be provided, we would all overeat, and be in a food coma for the rest of the day. We were really only productive for the two hours before lunch.

Providing something does not equal forcing said people to eat it. When we have company lunches some people eat a lot and others eat little. I fail to see how it is the employers fault as to what volume of food people choose to eat.

I didn't say the employers were forcing employees to eat. My point was that providing the food was a fail from a productivity standpoint.

or maybe they think that doing nice things for employees like providing a free lunch from time to time will help foster productivity ....

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I want to work where some of you work... I want all the foods.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    We buy the best candies for our office candy jar so I have put myself on a no candy jar rule. Seeing my coworkers constantly noshing on the candy and then complain about how they eat so little and can't lose weight is a healthy reinforcement. I'm too polite to say... it's not your metabolism... it's the candy jar!
  • Kimegatron
    Options

or maybe they think that doing nice things for employees like providing a free lunch from time to time will help foster productivity ....

I completely agree. We have had pizza parties and catered lunches here, as well as potlucks. I love them, and I hate them. However, it makes me really happy to work here, knowing that they think about us
  • Kimegatron
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    joinn68 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    It would be nice if people buying office goodies would have some lower calorie tasty items along with the rest, but let's face it. Bulk buying often doesn't give you much opportunity for that (dozen doughnuts doesn't allow you to substitute non-doughnuts), at least not at the same low price. And have you seen the price for veggie and fruit platters lately? Yikes. Getting things at Starbucks or similar where you select individual items is different.

My previous office had fruits delivered daily. Just single fruit, a different one each day. If you can buy donuts I am pretty sure some apples, oranges, pears or whatever is in season wouldn't be that much more expensive? (I dunno the price of donuts though). Anyway the fruits were really the best part of the office with the excellent expresso machine!

Around here, a dozen supermarket doughnuts is about $6-8. A fruit platter is $15+ and doesn't serve as many people. A dozen whole pears is about $25, and forget about berries, they're astronomical. Apples you could do for about the same price as the doughnuts. They're pretty cheap if you get the really small whole ones that are sold in the sleeve, but those are about 3 bites apiece. Pretty meager offering. You could do it with melon, too, but then you need to cut it up and have something to serve it in - a limiting factor if it's grabbed on the way in to work. Then you have the problem that fruit is not as universally appealing. Baked goods always disappear here. Fruit and veg? Maybe half.

It's not that it can't be done. It's that for this sort of thing people grab things that are cheap, convenient, and they think will be eaten. Having a regular delivery is a bit different (no one rushing around to grab something fast) and more expensive unless the company gets a deal.

$25 for 12 pears? Holy crap, they are like $1 each here
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

What a person eats or doesn't eat is entirely on them. But from a management standpoint, you can't foster or endorse an unhealthy environment, sit back and say "not my problem," and then act surprised when there are negative consequences to the business.

The major corporations know this, as do some of the great startups who are turning into major corporations. Many of these places provide meals for their employees, and the meal isn't a box of donuts.

Absolutely correct. I'll add, though, that the between is often as bad or worse from a calorie standpoint than just baked goods.

Where I work, the meal would be catered by one of the 'health conscious' food providers and is always a protein smothered in cream or oil-based sauce, a salad smothered in dressing, roasted vegetables drowning in a bath of oil and some kind of bite-size dessert. I'll also mention that the 'chefs' that cook this food? They need to go back to school. Everything is overcooked, over-sauced, and under-seasoned.

So that's one example of a between. If I had to eat, I'd take a doughnut over this lunch any day. Better calories, better taste ... nutrition would just have to depend on breakfast and dinner.

I don't eat when my company caters lunch.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids that work in a bakery and bring everything home to me. but I am not into that. thank goodness.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I need to feed my kids around 4000 calories per day. It can definitely be a challenge to meet their needs while keeping my own calories down.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You remind me of a story from a friend of mine, a marathoner who has stayed fit, who worked for a dairy for many years. He brought home all the extras you can imagine, and he used to love chocolate milk. Then one day he watched them add sugar to the vat at the factory. Didn't drink chocolate milk after that.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I own and work in a Cafe with fresh baked goods every day. I generally eat nothing there because once I start, it's hard to stop. But when I want something, I have it!
  • sinbos
    sinbos Posts: 28 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You see that delicious 6%fat strawberry flavored yoghurt over there? and the one with cherry? Or that nice vanila pudding? and the chocolate one?
    well guess what? I operate one of the packaging machine for that and you know the easiest way to determine if there is really strawberry under the strawberry lid and not Cherry? You taste it!
    So every 20 minutes i weight some cups and then open 4 of them (strawberry, cherry, peach and forrest-fruits) and put my spoon in there to taste. (don't worry these 4 will tossed away, won't go to sale)
    I wish donuts in a office where my problem.....