Who has a brutal temptation enviroment?

Options

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    I have a "no work food" rule. Which pretty much eliminates all temptations. If I don't buy it and bring it in, I can't choose not to eat it. I always make sure I have approved snacks available.

Ditto, with the one amendment. I see no need to eat extra food simply because it's available. If I want it and it fits into my nutrition for the day, fine. If not, I'm certainly not missing out.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I work from home, so kitchen. :)

I don't work from home, but totally this. I am far more likely to overeat when I'm home.

For those of you who struggle with random work related goodies, just start thinking more about germs and viruses. Sick co-workers coughing. Ink and paper particles that are puffed out of copy machines and printers. All that stuff is ALL OVER that box of doughnuts. Sure, it was nice of Carol to bring in that tray of brownies, but her 5 year old kept sticking his fingers in the batter. And he sneezed in it when she wasn't looking. And the leftover food someone brought in from the big party they threw last night - how long did they leave it sitting out on the buffet table before putting it away in the fridge? Was it stored properly? Eww. I HATE eating group food. If I don't grab the first bagel, I don't want them after people have dug through that bag with their grubby hands. Everyone in the office is always sick for a reason. No thanks :)
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I don't work from home, but totally this. I am far more likely to overeat when I'm home.

For those of you who struggle with random work related goodies, just start thinking more about germs and viruses. Sick co-workers coughing. Ink and paper particles that are puffed out of copy machines and printers. All that stuff is ALL OVER that box of doughnuts. Sure, it was nice of Carol to bring in that tray of brownies, but her 5 year old kept sticking his fingers in the batter. And he sneezed in it when she wasn't looking. And the leftover food someone brought in from the big party they threw last night - how long did they leave it sitting out on the buffet table before putting it away in the fridge? Was it stored properly? Eww. I HATE eating group food. If I don't grab the first bagel, I don't want them after people have dug through that bag with their grubby hands. Everyone in the office is always sick for a reason. No thanks :)

Awesome rational! thinking of the germs helps!

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Rdsgoal16 wrote: »
    Sorry but food addiction is not a real thing. For most people there is some mental health reason, which is then translated to a binge eating disorder, or using food to supply pleasure. I would be curious if you have any studies that directly correlate food to addiction?

My one dieter was in response to your comment about the ladies that bring donuts into the office. Why should they have to change their habits for one, a few, or a majority of dieters?

I am just providing an alternative suggestion that people are not purposefully sabotaging the work environment when they bring foods they like into the office. If the donuts bother so much then maybe you should bring in a veggie platter as an alternative, but why accuse the ones that like donuts of sabotage?

I'm sure there are many studies, if you are interested I would suggest google. But like addictive drugs some foods trigger feel good brain chemicals such as dopamine (Chocolate maybe?). Once people experience pleasure associated with increased dopamine transmission in the brain's reward pathway from eating certain foods, they quickly feel the need to eat again. Could the body have withdrawals and addictions to sugar, caffeine, etc etc? I think so but its my opinion. I am well aware of mental issues associated with overeating. I thought we agreed I didn't feel it was a group maliciously sabotaging an individual. I do bring in alternatives, there is a bag of sweet health baby carrots in the breakroom as we speak.....

I am not the one making the claim. And as far as dopamine centers you get the same reaction fro petting a puppy or driving a car, so are you saying that those are also addictive behaviors?

I will just leave this here, it does not relate to food addiction but deals with sugar addiction, which is pretty much the same thing...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_K0l2elQLCjbW9zYTF5UktkSnM/view?usp=sharing
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Thank you for being the one to say this! I feel exactly the same way.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Options
    [/quote]

I am not the one making the claim. And as far as dopamine centers you get the same reaction fro petting a puppy or driving a car, so are you saying that those are also addictive behaviors?

I will just leave this here, it does not relate to food addiction but deals with sugar addiction, which is pretty much the same thing...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_K0l2elQLCjbW9zYTF5UktkSnM/view?usp=sharing[/quote]

We can quote stuff all day long there miles of studies and opinions, the fact is I brought up a topic in a general diet and weight loss HELP forum, many people came on here and had encouraging stories, personal experience on alternatives and the one I liked the analogy on germs....what did you offer?

"why should we cater to the dieter" "food is equivalent to puppy petting"...

Its cool though I take it with a grain of salt...

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Vcorz wrote: »
    Everyone complains about the weight gain but no one stops bringing the treats in so......

Sounds good, but in my office its outsiders that bring in the food. Patients, drug reps, physical therapy businesses, etc. Except for the majority of the Starbucks runs, more than half the office ends up getting it 2 to 3 times a week, usually the same instigater, lol. They know not to bother asking me though.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Options
    Vcorz wrote: »
    Everyone complains about the weight gain but no one stops bringing the treats in so......

Sounds good, but in my office its outsiders that bring in the food. Patients, drug reps, physical therapy businesses, etc. Except for the majority of the Starbucks runs, more than half the office ends up getting it 2 to 3 times a week, usually the same instigater, lol. They know not to bother asking me though.

Same with our place, salesman bringing stuff in every other day...

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I have a "no work food" rule. Which pretty much eliminates all temptations. If I don't buy it and bring it in, I can't eat it. I always make sure I have approved snacks available.

Overall I think this is a great strategy, but how do you deal with birthdays?

I dealt with birthdays in my office by becoming the official birthday baker. No more supermarket cake!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Rdsgoal16 wrote: »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_K0l2elQLCjbW9zYTF5UktkSnM/view?usp=sharing[/quote]

We can quote stuff all day long there miles of studies and opinions, the fact is I brought up a topic in a general diet and weight loss HELP forum, many people came on here and had encouraging stories, personal experience on alternatives and the one I liked the analogy on germs....what did you offer?

"why should we cater to the dieter" "food is equivalent to puppy petting"...

Its cool though I take it with a grain of salt...

[/quote]

I offered the suggestion that one should not view their fellow employees eating habits as "sabotage" and that in a work environment everyone's considerations should be taken into account. If you don't want a donut, then don't eat a donut, but why should the ladies that want to bring in said food feel like they are saboteurs?

You brought up food addiction, and I challenged you on that assertion as current research does not indicate that food addiction is real; however, there are some studies that suggest food addiction may be similar to narcotic addiction, but they contain the caveat that more study is needed and that there is no final designation as to food addiction.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat work treats. It has to be something really special for me to be tempted. It's usually not worth the calories and I end up disappointed in the treat. They generally look better than they taste. I'd rather save my calories for the gelato I have at home.

I usually will wish someone a happy birthday (or whatever the treat/event is for) and then stick around and chat. No one really cares that you aren't eating if you're friendly and participating.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Options

I offered the suggestion that one should not view their fellow employees eating habits as "sabotage" and that in a work environment everyone's considerations should be taken into account. If you don't want a donut, then don't eat a donut, but why should the ladies that want to bring in said food feel like they are saboteurs?

You brought up food addiction, and I challenged you on that assertion as current research does not indicate that food addiction is real; however, there are some studies that suggest food addiction may be similar to narcotic addiction, but they contain the caveat that more study is needed and that there is no final designation as to food addiction.

Its 50/50 coworkers bringing in and salesman, reps, etc. FOR THE third and final time we have established that I am not viewing your group of girls as saboteurs. Not sure why your not grasping that. I think it's courtesy, if I knew of a smoker trying to quit I wouldn't light up a stogie and blow it in their face. The reality is treats will always be brought in, as we have both stated ultimately we make the decision to have the doughnut or not. My home is not filled with treats, why? basically because we are all humans, different will powers. To me its out of sight out of mind. The same people who bring in this crap start a fad diet every other month and complain when they gain.

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse, and an ER nurse so for some reason all ERs have this food environment where there's constant treats being brought in, ordering out, etc. It's HARD. Yesterday was the delicious company holiday dinner (successfully navigated through that - had about 450 cals) but then there was the 2 boxes of donuts, someone made homemade chocolate toffee, someone else brought in chocolate covered popcorn, another yummy homemade coconut chocolate walnut dessert thing, oh and then when I'm starving at end of shift, cupcakes appear. Yea, it's hard :/ I usually have a small taste of one or two things (log it) and have to talk myself out of eating the rest.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Options
    I'm a nurse, and an ER nurse so for some reason all ERs have this food environment where there's constant treats being brought in, ordering out, etc. It's HARD. Yesterday was the delicious company holiday dinner (successfully navigated through that - had about 450 cals) but then there was the 2 boxes of donuts, someone made homemade chocolate toffee, someone else brought in chocolate covered popcorn, another yummy homemade coconut chocolate walnut dessert thing, oh and then when I'm starving at end of shift, cupcakes appear. Yea, it's hard :/ I usually have a small taste of one or two things (log it) and have to talk myself out of eating the rest.

Momma Nurse, I applaud your willpower!

• fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I always say its not my work environment that sabotages me. Its ME, my state of mind. There are always tempting food around, when I am at my peak strength and motivation I can easily resist, I don't even resist, I am just not tempted while other days I could eat it all.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have a "no work food" rule. Which pretty much eliminates all temptations. If I don't buy it and bring it in, I can't eat it. I always make sure I have approved snacks available.

Overall I think this is a great strategy, but how do you deal with birthdays?

I dealt with birthdays in my office by becoming the official birthday baker. No more supermarket cake!

I have to really want cake to even bother with the "birthday" cake's provided by my work. They aren't that good...LOL I had noticed that I was eating things because they were there, and I was packing on the pounds. So, a way to not eat "anything". Say no to Everything! Problem solved.

• Rdsgoal16
    Options
    revertt2d wrote: »
    I always say its not my work environment that sabotages me. Its ME, my state of mind. There are always tempting food around, when I am at my peak strength and motivation I can easily resist, I don't even resist, I am just not tempted while other days I could eat it all.

I'm curious, if it wasn't around would you be able to resist easier?

• tulips_and_tea
    Options
    I generally don't eat work treats. It has to be something really special for me to be tempted. It's usually not worth the calories and I end up disappointed in the treat. They generally look better than they taste. I'd rather save my calories for the gelato I have at home.

I usually will wish someone a happy birthday (or whatever the treat/event is for) and then stick around and chat. No one really cares that you aren't eating if you're friendly and participating.

This is very true. I do the same thing.
  • niragorshia
    niragorshia Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I work with baking and cakes frosting buttercream aghhhhh.
    N i have a major sweet tooth.
    Its really hard. To cope with.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Options
    I work with baking and cakes frosting buttercream aghhhhh.
    N i have a major sweet tooth.
    Its really hard. To cope with.

Wow! Don't know if I could do it, I'm pretty strong but buttercream!