Who has a brutal temptation enviroment?

Options
I work as an engineer in a company that makes frozen beverage and ice cream machines (love ice cream). To me this is the equivalent of an addict working in a cocaine factory. To make matters worse the girls in the office bring in donuts (my second kryptonite) but I have cruised through he company xmas meal, the treats so far and am feeling good! Who else has a sabotaging environment?

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have a "no work food" rule. Which pretty much eliminates all temptations. If I don't buy it and bring it in, I can't eat it. I always make sure I have approved snacks available.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I work at a retirement home, and we have a chef... and snacks out all day long for visitors. I am pretty sure that is why I gained the 15 pounds I am now working to lose. so now I bring my own lunch unless the days lunch is very calorie friendly. My second job is at a bar... so uh whiskey lol.
  • Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My workplace is ridiculous with donuts and baked goods every day, and all of the skinny people on staff have gained weight.....and I mean from skinny to plus size in some cases.....
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Vcorz wrote: »
    My workplace is ridiculous with donuts and baked goods every day, and all of the skinny people on staff have gained weight.....and I mean from skinny to plus size in some cases.....

Sounds bad, I think this is where the last 20 came from, I used to work in a manufacturing environment walking 1/4 mile to the floor area 10x's a day and rarely someone brought in food, its like a grazing food bar here sometimes.

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I work in a doctor's office and we are constantly brought food/baked goods/donuts/starbucks/breakfast pigs in a blanket (wtf?). I don't eat any of it unless it's worth it. No donuts, because I hate the fried aftertaste I get the rest of the day, no candy unless it's a bite sized piece for after lunch dessert. Only really, really delicious cookies/baked goods, I don't feel bad taking a small bite and throwing the rest away if it's not heavenly tasting. I only acquiesce to getting Starbucks like 4 times a year. Every Wednesday we get a catered lunch that I always eat, just portion control, the rest of the week I bring my own lunch. I have pretty much mastered saying no to things, unless it's those few days a month when my hormones have taken complete control of my body and mind.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Rdsgoal16 wrote: »
    I work as an engineer in a company that makes frozen beverage and ice cream machines (love ice cream). To me this is the equivalent of an addict working in a cocaine factory. To make matters worse the girls in the office bring in donuts (my second kryptonite) but I have cruised through he company xmas meal, the treats so far and am feeling good! Who else has a sabotaging environment?

I never understood the line of reasoning that because other people in the office like to bring in donuts and what not that they are somehow sabotaging other employees. Every Friday my company, which I own half of, provides some kind of baked goods like donuts or cinnamon buns, and the ones that want to eat some, eat some, and the ones that don't, don't. Or, some people cut a quarter or a half off and eat that.

Does that mean that when one of my staff goes on a diet, that I have to stop buying said baked goods for the other 80% of the office?
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My office isn't so bad, thankfully. I work at a University and since there are always so many student workers in and out of the building, any food that is in the kitchen doesn't stay there for long. These kids are bottomless pits! Haha!

My old office was horrible, though! I would make a point of taking the long way around the office perimeter to get anywhere so I didn't have to pass through the central kitchen!
  • Rdsgoal16
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I never understood the line of reasoning that because other people in the office like to bring in donuts and what not that they are somehow sabotaging other employees. Every Friday my company, which I own half of, provides some kind of baked goods like donuts or cinnamon buns, and the ones that want to eat some, eat some, and the ones that don't, don't. Or, some people cut a quarter or a half off and eat that.

Does that mean that when one of my staff goes on a diet, that I have to stop buying said baked goods for the other 80% of the office?

Its a fact people bring it in, I don't hold it against them. AND NO I don't think it is deliberate sabotage it was a play on words....by all means buy away. Although a veggie platter would be nice once in a while
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, I just had a sabotaging donut that was brought in for someone's birthday. Oh wait, nope! It wasn't sabotaging. I checked my food diary, saw that I could fit a donut in my day, and ate one. And it was good. :p
  • ndj1979
    Options

Its a fact people bring it in, I don't hold it against them. AND NO I don't think it is deliberate sabotage it was a play on words....by all means buy away. Although a veggie platter would be nice once in a while

who wants a veggie platter at 8am on Friday...???

As far as sabotage being a play on words, fair enough I suppose; however, words do have meaning and I don't think that it is fair that everyone else has to accommodate one dieter, in an office that can hold multiple people, with multiple dietary goals....
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I work from home, so kitchen. :)
  • Rdsgoal16
    Options

As far as sabotage being a play on words, fair enough I suppose; however, words do have meaning and I don't think that it is fair that everyone else has to accommodate one dieter, in an office that can hold multiple people, with multiple dietary goals....

Um I would love a platter at 8:00am, I'm not asking you to change anything or accommodate one dieter. But from some of these responses looks like I am not the only one can be tempted by food. Moderation is the key, I cut a 1/4 off occasionally and enjoy some fried fat and dough. There are many people fighting food addictions, you might be surprised if "more than one dieter" is in the office...

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I normally work from home. However, when I'm in the field, the Carb Table from Hell resides outside of my office. To do anything, I have to pass right by it. I just make sure I have approved snacks at my desk.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I work from home, so kitchen. :)

Same! Having access to the kitchen 24/7 can be just as "sabotaging". We made stuffed cabbage leaves for lunch today which is one of my favorite foods, and I keep returning to the kitchen for "just one more piece" every few minutes. If I had a 9-5 job away from this darn kitchen it would have cut today's intake in half since I'm not even mildly tempted by donuts or dry and spongy cakes.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It would be nice if people buying office goodies would have some lower calorie tasty items along with the rest, but let's face it. Bulk buying often doesn't give you much opportunity for that (dozen doughnuts doesn't allow you to substitute non-doughnuts), at least not at the same low price. And have you seen the price for veggie and fruit platters lately? Yikes. Getting things at Starbucks or similar where you select individual items is different.
  • Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Everyone complains about the weight gain but no one stops bringing the treats in so......
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I used to work in an office environment similar to the episode of Seinfeld where Elaine was at a birthday party everyday. I mean seriously, it was a celebration everyday from happy anniversary, retirement, birthday, etc. There was a sheet cake in the break room and after a while I became more repulsed than anything. I was able to keep my weight down pretty much during this time because it was also a cubicle setting made up of a very diverse staff which some of whom brought in the pungent food available.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Um I would love a platter at 8:00am, I'm not asking you to change anything or accommodate one dieter. But from some of these responses looks like I am not the only one can be tempted by food. Moderation is the key, I cut a 1/4 off occasionally and enjoy some fried fat and dough. There are many people fighting food addictions, you might be surprised if "more than one dieter" is in the office...

Sorry but food addiction is not a real thing. For most people there is some mental health reason, which is then translated to a binge eating disorder, or using food to supply pleasure. I would be curious if you have any studies that directly correlate food to addiction?

My one dieter was in response to your comment about the ladies that bring donuts into the office. Why should they have to change their habits for one, a few, or a majority of dieters?

I am just providing an alternative suggestion that people are not purposefully sabotaging the work environment when they bring foods they like into the office. If the donuts bother so much then maybe you should bring in a veggie platter as an alternative, but why accuse the ones that like donuts of sabotage?
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Once temp worked in a chocolate factory where you were allowed to eat any of the unfoiled (unwrapped) milk chocolate ... some new people would literally stuff themselves sick for the first few days.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Options
    Sorry but food addiction is not a real thing. For most people there is some mental health reason, which is then translated to a binge eating disorder, or using food to supply pleasure. I would be curious if you have any studies that directly correlate food to addiction?

My one dieter was in response to your comment about the ladies that bring donuts into the office. Why should they have to change their habits for one, a few, or a majority of dieters?

I am just providing an alternative suggestion that people are not purposefully sabotaging the work environment when they bring foods they like into the office. If the donuts bother so much then maybe you should bring in a veggie platter as an alternative, but why accuse the ones that like donuts of sabotage?

I'm sure there are many studies, if you are interested I would suggest google. But like addictive drugs some foods trigger feel good brain chemicals such as dopamine (Chocolate maybe?). Once people experience pleasure associated with increased dopamine transmission in the brain's reward pathway from eating certain foods, they quickly feel the need to eat again. Could the body have withdrawals and addictions to sugar, caffeine, etc etc? I think so but its my opinion. I am well aware of mental issues associated with overeating. I thought we agreed I didn't feel it was a group maliciously sabotaging an individual. I do bring in alternatives, there is a bag of sweet health baby carrots in the breakroom as we speak.....