Top 4 vitamins to aid in weight loss

Options
I take a multi vitamin everyday and a omega 3. But I was wondering what other vitamins aid in helping the body in losing weight? The reason I ask is because I notice that I am falling short regularly on calcium and iron. But I read that magnesium really helps in the aid of weight loss. Just curious if I should buy some individual supplements or not. Thanks in advance for advice you guys and gals are awesome!

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    No vitamins help you lose weight.
  • Getty59
    Getty59 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ? Dont the aid your body in running efficiently and help make sure your motabalising properly?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Taking vitamins helps if you have a deficiency. If you don't have a deficiency, and you take vitamins, you just pee the excess out.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Omega 3's are supposed to help increase lean body mass.
    A basic multi-vit/mineral.
    I really only think other supplements help if you have everything else in place: accurate food log, regular exercise, tracking your weight and measurements. Otherwise, how do you know what tweaks to apply to your fitness effort, if you are not doing the basics and recording everything?
  • Getty59
    Options
    I really only think other supplements help if you have everything else in place: accurate food log, regular exercise, tracking your weight and measurements. Otherwise, how do you know what tweaks to apply to your fitness effort, if you are not doing the basics and recording everything?

I log everything this is how I know I am deficiency in 2 categories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Getty59 wrote: »

Do remember that companies are not obliged to put vitamin counts on labels, so the labels and the MFP entry are very often wrong and record no vitamin content where there actually is some. The only real way to know if you're deficient is blood tests, and even if you are deficient in some vitamins, it is unlikely that it will have a direct effect on weight loss.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Magnesium is a common deficiency. Will it help with weight loss? I don't think it will directly, but if it reduces cravings, or helps you sleep better, or helps your muscles perform better then, it's helpful! I like the CALM drink, it's sweet and is kind of like a no-cal dessert.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If you worried about being deficient get a blood test. That's the only way to find out if you are truly deficient
  • Getty59
    Options
    Getty59 wrote: »

Do remember that companies are not obliged to put vitamin counts on labels, so the labels and the MFP entry are very often wrong and record no vitamin content where there actually is some. The only real way to know if you're deficient is blood tests, and even if you are deficient in some vitamins, it is unlikely that it will have a direct effect on weight loss.

Thank you!!
  • Getty59
    Options
    Magnesium is a common deficiency. Will it help with weight loss? I don't think it will directly, but if it reduces cravings, or helps you sleep better, or helps your muscles perform better then, it's helpful! I like the CALM drink, it's sweet and is kind of like a no-cal dessert.

Awesome thank you!
  • Getty59
    Options
    If you worried about being deficient get a blood test. That's the only way to find out if you are truly deficient

Wasn't terribly worried just wondering.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and trace elements are needed to keep you healthy, they have nothing to do with weight loss.

'Healthy' can be obscure, so think of things like the following:
    Energy
    Immune system
    Hair
    Vision
    Soft smooth skin

The list goes on and on. 99.9% of the supplements industry is crap that only makes you poorer, but if your dieting or dietary habits put you at risk for deficiencies then taking a daily vitamin, an iron tablet, and an omega-3 tablet a day is reasonable. No reason to waste money on the fancy, organic brands.

As examples, my diet is mostly vegan so I add a multi-vitamin and calcium tablet a day. My wife does not eat much Iron and she has menstrual cycles so she also adds an Iron tablet. All in all I think we spend about $15 a month on these supplements.
  • Getty59
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    Vitamins and trace elements are needed to keep you healthy, they have nothing to do with weight loss.

'Healthy' can be obscure, so think of things like the following:
    Energy
    Immune system
    Hair
    Vision
    Soft smooth skin

The list goes on and on. 99.9% of the supplements industry is crap that only makes you poorer, but if your dieting or dietary habits put you at risk for deficiencies then taking a daily vitamin, an iron tablet, and an omega-3 tablet a day is reasonable. No reason to waste money on the fancy, organic brands.

As examples, my diet is mostly vegan so I add a multi-vitamin and calcium tablet a day. My wife does not eat much Iron and she has menstrual cycles so she also adds an Iron tablet. All in all I think we spend about $15 a month on these supplements.

Thanks!