Breastfeeding moms

Options
I had my son 10 weeks ago and he is exclusively breastfed! I was overweight before I got pregnant. I'm just wondering if anyone can help me figure out about how many calories per day I should be taking in to lose weight?

Replies

• ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Between 1800 and 2500 calories. What I did was take the number mfp have me and added 500. The amount you need will be different from what another person may need. Just cut slowly and see how your supply does.
  • CC2435
    CC2435 Posts: 21 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Brestfeeding is an important job! I would be careful not to decrease your calorie intake very much at all. Knowing your maintenence calorie intake will help you decide how much you should eat.

I dropped all of my pregnancy weight and more when I was breastfeeding, but gained 15lbs back when she weened. It was what naturally happened.
    Just to give you am idea:
    155lbs Pre-pregnancy weight
    210 lbs at delivery
    145 lbs when baby started solid foods
    160 lbs current weight, child is 2 yrs old

Have you lost or gained any weight during the past 10 weeks?
  • healthymissfit
    healthymissfit Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    CC2435 wrote: »
    Brestfeeding is an important job! I would be careful not to decrease your calorie intake very much at all. Knowing your maintenence calorie intake will help you decide how much you should eat.

I dropped all of my pregnancy weight and more when I was breastfeeding, but gained 15lbs back when she weened. It was what naturally happened.
    Just to give you am idea:
    155lbs Pre-pregnancy weight
    210 lbs at delivery
    145 lbs when baby started solid foods
    160 lbs current weight, child is 2 yrs old

Have you lost or gained any weight during the past 10 weeks?

When pregnant I gained 34 lbs total. Directly after delivery I had lost about 25 lbs of it. When I went for my 6 week check up, I had gained back 15 of it! I wasn't aiming to lose weight, but I was eating healthier foods (it's that portion control that kills me every time!!) and at that check up, I also got put on the Depo shot which my doctor warned very seriously it would make me want to snack and that's okay but snack healthily. I eat pretty clean I'd say! I haven't incorporated any exercise as of yet (I tore and to be honest I've been scared of getting too physical and it's a bit too cold outside to bring the baby for walks yet) a woman suggested to me to bring my son to the mall so we could take walks inside which is on my never ending to do list lol but for the moment, I was trying to clean up my diet, since I completely let clean eating habits go out the window while pregnant!