Is there a reason I'm losing weight so slowly?

Options

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You need to use a food scale as stated above. Also, what did you use as your activity level when you ran your goals here at MFP?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I mean I do consume 1300 a day and my caloric needs arent much anyways because of my lifestyle... but 1200 a day is pure misery for me, I wouldnt be able to stay awake and it might cause serious emotion shifts ( ei i will burst into random tears if I am too hungry) I can't go below what I am currently doing. i am at the point my body SHOULD be adjusted to the calorie change, right? or am I supposed to be hungry all the time? I feel 1300 is barely enough, like I wouldn't be able to sustain this is I actually did have a job.

But you aren't consuming 1300 a day. You said that your MFP goal is 1300 and you are eating back 75% of your exercise calories. How many calories have you eaten on each of the past 10 days? Not your net. Your gross--the total number you've actually eaten. (in your estimation)
  • AlissaGilbert1
    AlissaGilbert1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    sugom2 wrote: »
    Try to keep positive. If you haven't already done so, don't eat bread, rice or pasta during the week--you should see a big difference. Stick to homemade salad dressings--such as dijon mustard, stay away from as much canned or processed foods. That will also help. Being un-employed really sucks--I was there last year, took me 7 months to find a job. See if you can increase your walks per day by adding in another 30 minutes or so. That will also help.

What is your reasons for eliminating those food items? I have lost 80lbs eating bread every day and pasta at least once a week and sometimes more often. I do however stay away from most highly processed foods. Not because I can't lose weight eating them but because of the sodium and my HBP.

My reason is because I am starving. Oatmeal with banana in the morning, a sandwich for lunch, an apple for snack...and a small portion of dinner... it's just not enough. I have really low energy and being that hungry cause serious emotion shifts in me. I need more food. if i have to cut bread to replace a lower calorie more voluminous food then I happily will. Like the way I eat now is perfectly healthy imo, but it makes it really hard to sleep being this hungry..
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If you are comfortable sharing your height and weight, I would like to see if we could up your calories and still get successful weight loss.

If not, use scoobysworkshop.com to calculate your TDEE-20% to determine what you could be eating.
  • AlissaGilbert1
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I mean I do consume 1300 a day and my caloric needs arent much anyways because of my lifestyle... but 1200 a day is pure misery for me, I wouldnt be able to stay awake and it might cause serious emotion shifts ( ei i will burst into random tears if I am too hungry) I can't go below what I am currently doing. i am at the point my body SHOULD be adjusted to the calorie change, right? or am I supposed to be hungry all the time? I feel 1300 is barely enough, like I wouldn't be able to sustain this is I actually did have a job.

But you aren't consuming 1300 a day. You said that your MFP goal is 1300 and you are eating back 75% of your exercise calories. How many calories have you eaten on each of the past 10 days? Not your net. Your gross--the total number you've actually eaten. (in your estimation)

In mfp any calories you exercise off, you eat back. I usually don't even reach 1300 even after easting back those calories. I usually have a deficit of 75-150 calories a day.
  • AlissaGilbert1
    Options
    If you are comfortable sharing your height and weight, I would like to see if we could up your calories and still get successful weight loss.

If not, use scoobysworkshop.com to calculate your TDEE-20% to determine what you could be eating.

5'6 medium frame, 150 lbs.sedentary. I work out about 4 hours a week. idk my body fat percentage because i don't have the measuring tape so idk. I looked up a tdee calculator and it says i need 1900 a day( so that's bullcocky) idk, i have referenced so many calculators and formulas they always say something different
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Try to keep positive. If you haven't already done so, don't eat bread, rice or pasta during the week--you should see a big difference. Stick to homemade salad dressings--such as dijon mustard, stay away from as much canned or processed foods. That will also help. Being un-employed really sucks--I was there last year, took me 7 months to find a job. See if you can increase your walks per day by adding in another 30 minutes or so. That will also help.

What is your reasons for eliminating those food items? I have lost 80lbs eating bread every day and pasta at least once a week and sometimes more often. I do however stay away from most highly processed foods. Not because I can't lose weight eating them but because of the sodium and my HBP.

My reason is because I am starving. Oatmeal with banana in the morning, a sandwich for lunch, an apple for snack...and a small portion of dinner... it's just not enough. I have really low energy and being that hungry cause serious emotion shifts in me. I need more food. if i have to cut bread to replace a lower calorie more voluminous food then I happily will. Like the way I eat now is perfectly healthy imo, but it makes it really hard to sleep being this hungry..

You shouldn't be that hungry. You don't need to eliminate any entire foods from your meal plan, but you do need to choose foods that will fill you. My typical day while losing looked like 1.5 servings of cereal with 3/4 cup milk for breakfast, lunch would be either a salad with a low calorie dressing (highly recommend bolthouse yogurt ranch 2T is only 45 calories) with some skinless chicken breast, or leftovers from the night before. Supper would be something like a roasted chicken breast with lots of veggies (with a bit of butter), and a small serving of mashed potatoes, or something like a chicken stir fry with a small serving of rice, or if my calories were really tight for the day, some riced cauliflower. Add in a few snacks like a greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or shrimp with cocktail sauce, plus one square of high quality dark chocolate, and you should come in around 1400 calories or less.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

If she's not losing or barely losing right now, you won't be able to up her calories in a true sense, just in a mathematical sense as she is most likely eating more than she thinks right now.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

In mfp any calories you exercise off, you eat back. I usually don't even reach 1300 even after eating back those calories. I usually have a deficit of 75-150 calories a day.

I think you may be slightly confused, with MFP you are supposed to NET 1300. So if you burn 150 through exercise you eat 1450 - 150 burned = 1300 ..most suggest only eating back half of your exercise calories because calories burned estimates are always off on the high side...
  • quiksylver296
    edited December 2015
    Options

5'6 medium frame, 150 lbs.sedentary. I work out about 4 hours a week. idk my body fat percentage because i don't have the measuring tape so idk. I looked up a tdee calculator and it says i need 1900 a day( so that's bullcocky) idk, i have referenced so many calculators and formulas they always say something different

So, at TDEE-10% (I didn't do 20% because you don't have much to lose), your calories can be 1745 per day. That sounds about right to me. I'm 5'9, and have mine set at 1930 per day. (BTW, if you do this, don't eat back your exercise calories...)

Also realize, because you have less to lose, it's going to come off slower. Work the system and it WILL WORK, but you are going to have to be patient and give it time. It may take three months to lose ten pounds, not three weeks.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

In mfp any calories you exercise off, you eat back. I usually don't even reach 1300 even after easting back those calories. I usually have a deficit of 75-150 calories a day.

I assure you I understand how MFP works. How many calories have you actually been eating?
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Question....Is your clothing fitting different? Are you seeing a change in your shape? When I started, it was all about the number but now, it is all about the booty :sweat_smile:
  • AlissaGilbert1
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

In mfp any calories you exercise off, you eat back. I usually don't even reach 1300 even after eating back those calories. I usually have a deficit of 75-150 calories a day.

I think you may be slightly confused, with MFP you are supposed to NET 1300. So if you burn 150 through exercise you eat 1450 - 150 burned = 1300 ..most suggest only eating back half of your exercise calories because calories burned estimates are always off on the high side...

lol, idk why we're not understanding each other because you literally just restated what i said( or I thought I said?) haha anyways, yes, I only eat back a portion of my exercised calories..because i know the estimates are usually off
  • AlissaGilbert1
    Options

I assure you I understand how MFP works. How many calories have you actually been eating?

okay i average 1250 net calories, sometimes more sometimes less, never over 1350.
  • AlissaGilbert1
    Options
    Question....Is your clothing fitting different? Are you seeing a change in your shape? When I started, it was all about the number but now, it is all about the booty :sweat_smile:

no, that's why I'm concerned, no changes in the way clothes fit or how I look, I mean a tiny bit maybe but not significant at all.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

okay i average 1250 net calories, sometimes more sometimes less, never over 1350.

Back to the food scale issue... Are you really eating that amount of calories if you are not using a food scale?
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    [/quote]no, that's why I'm concerned, no changes in the way clothes fit or how I look, I mean a tiny bit maybe but not significant at all.[/quote]

Tiny bit is quite a lot for such a short time. You will get there. Don't be so hard on yourself Hun
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

As I lost weight I had to keep looking at the food that I ate until I found the foods that kept me full. Those foods kept changing from time to time.

I had to limit pasta and when I did eat it I filled it with vegetables to make it go further.

Maybe you are being too aggressive with your weight loss. I am at 171 and am still losing 1lb a week. After 10more pounds I will be happy with a couple of pounds a month.

Good luck...
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

So, at TDEE-10% (I didn't do 20% because you don't have much to lose), your calories can be 1745 per day. That sounds about right to me. I'm 5'9, and have mine set at 1930 per day. (BTW, if you do this, don't eat back your exercise calories...)

Also realize, because you have less to lose, it's going to come off slower. Work the system and it WILL WORK, but you are going to have to be patient and give it time. It may take three months to lose ten pounds, not three weeks.

This is so true! Realistic expectations may need to be used here.

• AlissaGilbert1
    Options
    no, that's why I'm concerned, no changes in the way clothes fit or how I look, I mean a tiny bit maybe but not significant at all.[/quote]

Tiny bit is quite a lot for such a short time. You will get there. Don't be so hard on yourself Hun[/quote]

7 weeks is a short time?