Excess skin after weight loss

Options
My plan is to reduce waist circumference from 113cm to 90cm (from 44.5 to 35.5 inches). How likely is it to get excess skin in this case? I am currently at 103cm (40.5 inches) and I don't see any excess...

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your body. Generally, the younger you are and the slower you lose, the more your skin snaps back.
  • lionkingbg
    lionkingbg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am 34 years old. My waist has been 110-113 cm for a long time (over 10 years)..
  • lionkingbg
    lionkingbg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Tnx!
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    The major players in how much loose skin you will be left with seem to be genetics, age and the time taken to lose the weight. Another thing that I think really doesn't help matter is Yo-Yo dieting continually re-stretching the skin does seem to make the damage that much worse.

Other contributing factors which may help minimize the damage would be strength training, staying well hydrated and keeping skin supple (although I think this may be leaning towards Woo/myth).

I have seen many here on MFP saying that you should wait 2 years after your loss to see how your skin is going to look....ie: another time for patience as there can be a lot of change to that skin tone over time as you maintain your loss and continue with your exercise programme.
  • HostageCat
    HostageCat Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Its hard to say if you will get loose skin or how much you may get, it comes to many factors, how much you lost, how long you were overweight, your age and genetics. The only way to find out is to lose the weight. Things that may help with loose skin is strength training, drinking plenty of water, dry brushing and a good moisturizer.