Is there a reason I'm losing weight so slowly?

Options
124»

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    For me, I've found it to be more filling if I mix my macros. If I eat just fruit, not filling. Eat some fruit w/ some peanut butter (which has a little protein and fat) then its filling. A very filling meal, for me, is 4-5 ounces of chicken breast/1-2 veggies including some sliced sweet potatoes.

Ultimately figure out what combinations work for you. Nothing wrong with eating bread, cheese, etc. Just be aware that when you have a low daily burn total & therefore aim for a small deficit: to succeed in weight loss you need to make sure you really are in a deficit. It might be that you're doing fine and just need to be patient as weight loss will be slow. Or you may be able to tweak some areas so that you can fill more satisfied without increasing calorie content. This is not a one size fits all project. We're each unique. :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think some people have given good advice, but the reality comes down to this: You didn't weigh in before you started. So you may have weighed a couple of pounds more than 151 as your starting weight. And now you're down to 151. But you don't realize you're losing weight because of that.

I say, keep on doing what you're doing. Get a food scale -- it's a great investment -- but other than that, don't obsess. Our weight as women naturally fluctuates within a few pound range anyway, due to hormones, water weight, time of day, time of month, hydration, lack of sleep, any number of reasons. It could be hard to see the real fat losses on the scale after only a month or two when you have a small deficit and some fluctuations. Trust the process.

And measure, don't only weigh. If you're seeing inches come off, you're losing fat. The scale will catch up.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You're eating too many calories. I agree with getting a food scale (it's not necessary but if you're not losing, you're probably underestimating your food).

And you don't have to cut anything but you definitely need to make better choices. That's a lot of carbs and probably not enough protein and fat. Ditch the sandwich at lunch and use a low carb tortilla or just have some meat and veggies. Honestly my goal is higher than yours and even now I hardly have sandwiches because they don't fill me up.

And yeah. If you're really hungry... move more. There's no way I would have lost anything if I hadn't exercised.
  • AlissaGilbert1
    AlissaGilbert1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    the comments here are becoming counter productive, i think, since there are so many...having to restate a bunch of things and getting mixed up between the comments and commenters lol. Thank a bunch you all. I've gathered enough to figure out what I can try. it's kind of tiring hearing everyone tell me I don't have to cut out bread, because as i've stated many times, I'm already hungry with bread in my diet, i can't lower calories much more because I'm already treading minimum for survival. if i take it out and replace it with veggies, I get to eat more=happier me, more sustainable diet. Also the fact is since i don't currently use a food scale, i probably DO overestimate calorie intake, and if that is the case, I definitely need to cut the carbs. So please don't tell me to keep bread in my diet and eat less at the same time...because that's not gonna happen. Thanks to you all for insight.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, it took me a year and a half to lose 15 lbs. That is less than a pound a month. If I had eaten any less, I would have been hungry all the time. And I never managed to fit in more exercise. So I accepted it would be slow, because if I was hungry all the time I would have ended up quitting and not losing the weight at all. I don't mean to discourage you, just to point out you are definitely not alone! When you are on the smaller size and don't have much to lose, you don't have room in a healthy diet to get much of a deficit.

A food scale can make a huge difference - it was an eye opener for me. Macro percentages are very individual, but I found focusing on getting plenty of protein helped me feel more satiated on the calories I had to work with, but everyone is different. Hang in there, you can do it, but patience will be a key!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    lol i don't eat peanut butter.... is this just a weight loss saying? hah youre the second one to say it

Peanut butter is just one of those things where you can really see the difference between serving size perception and reality :)

• nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1300 for a couple of weeks and have an open diary if you'd like to take a look and maybe get some ideas. I rarely eat bread as the yeast does nasty things to me so lunch isn't a sandwich.

Please keep in mind that 3500 calories is a pound, so with a 75-150 calorie deficit each day it's going to take a really long time to get to that pound.

Good luck, and hang in there!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    the comments here are becoming counter productive, i think, since there are so many...having to restate a bunch of things and getting mixed up between the comments and commenters lol. Thank a bunch you all. I've gathered enough to figure out what I can try. it's kind of tiring hearing everyone tell me I don't have to cut out bread, because as i've stated many times, I'm already hungry with bread in my diet, i can't lower calories much more because I'm already treading minimum for survival. if i take it out and replace it with veggies, I get to eat more=happier me, more sustainable diet. Also the fact is since i don't currently use a food scale, i probably DO overestimate calorie intake, and if that is the case, I definitely need to cut the carbs. So please don't tell me to keep bread in my diet and eat less at the same time...because that's not gonna happen. Thanks to you all for insight.

I'm with you on bread, there's no way I could fit it in 1300 calories. My advice is a lot of lean meat and veggies and ditch the banana in your oatmeal and have a few nuts or an apple instead (bananas don't fill me up either, but apples do). Soups are great too.

Good luck.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    noon1200 wrote: »
    Don't take a single measurement as your weight, weigh yourself at least three days in a row and take the average.

With 15 pounds to lose, you should be shooting for losing one pound every two weeks. It's going to take at least seven months to lose the whole 15, so I wouldn't worry much over a couple weeks.

If your actual losses aren't matching your expected losses, then you can look at tightening up your logging. I'd only eat back 50% of MFP's exercise numbers, and I wouldn't log walking two miles.

+1 be patient. .it took me a year to lose 20lbs...the less you have to lose the slower it comes off as we've less fat overall to lose...
  • brownels
    brownels Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have a similar story. My advice: 1) don't eat back any exercise calories at all, unless you become a serious fitness nut and are working out all the time. 2) try and find some less processed bread--even if you have to eat a smaller portion--and combine with a protein. So, whole grain real bread & peanut butter, or cheese, or sardines. This combo will carry you hunger-wise longer. That processed bread is like eating sugar--it will give a quick energy boost and the poof it's gone. 3) if funds are a concern, brown rice & black beans (not canned--soaking and cooking the dried beans is tons cheaper). Add cumin and some salt, and there is a very hearty, inexpensive, complex carb&protein combo that will take MUCH more time for your body to digest than the 45 cal air bread. My 2 cents!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    My doctor informed me not to touch my exercise calories. Say I burn 300 calories. That's it, done, those are not calories to eat back. You might want to try that. You also NEED to invest in a food scale. Your tablespoon of peanut butter is not a portion of peanut butter. It's almost enough to cry over what your REAL portion of peanut butter is.

You shouldn't be hungry while losing, no one should starve for their weight. If you're really having such a hard time and believe you're in the right about everything why not see a doctor? Sometimes people may have underlying illnesses that make it hard to lose weight, or medications may make it difficult as well.

That's fine, but there's no reason that anyone should follow the advice a doctor gives to some other person.
    If my doctor advised me to eat 2500 calories a day, would that be good advice for everyone, regardless of whether they're a sedentary, 4'11" 98-lb nonagenarian with limited mobility or a 6'5" 190-lb lumberjack training for an ironman competition in the off-hours?
    If my doctor advised me to get my appendix out, would you go grab a knife and carve yours out, without seeing a doctor yourself?
    A doctor's advice for one patient is not automatically valid for the next patient who walks in the door, much less for someone the doctor has never even heard of, much less examined.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My doctor informed me not to touch my exercise calories. Say I burn 300 calories. That's it, done, those are not calories to eat back. You might want to try that. You also NEED to invest in a food scale. Your tablespoon of peanut butter is not a portion of peanut butter. It's almost enough to cry over what your REAL portion of peanut butter is.

You shouldn't be hungry while losing, no one should starve for their weight. If you're really having such a hard time and believe you're in the right about everything why not see a doctor? Sometimes people may have underlying illnesses that make it hard to lose weight, or medications may make it difficult as well.

That's fine, but there's no reason that anyone should follow the advice a doctor gives to some other person.
    If my doctor advised me to eat 2500 calories a day, would that be good advice for everyone, regardless of whether they're a sedentary, 4'11" 98-lb nonagenarian with limited mobility or a 6'5" 190-lb lumberjack training for an ironman competition in the off-hours?
    If my doctor advised me to get my appendix out, would you go grab a knife and carve yours out, without seeing a doctor yourself?
    A doctor's advice for one patient is not automatically valid for the next patient who walks in the door, much less for someone the doctor has never even heard of, much less examined.

Exactly.
    People often say here that their nutritionist/dietician/doctor told them not to eat back their exercise calories. What they are missing is the fact that many of these use a TDEE calculator where activity level is factored in and they are NOT following MFP. With MFP exercise is not factored in. So when you are following TDEE, you do not eat exercise calories back and that advice is correct. It does not necessarily apply to someone following MFP since it does not account for exercise calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Exactly.
    People often say here that their nutritionist/dietician/doctor told them not to eat back their exercise calories. What they are missing is the fact that many of these use a TDEE calculator where activity level is factored in and they are NOT following MFP. With MFP exercise is not factored in. So when you are following TDEE, you do not eat exercise calories back and that advice is correct. It does not necessarily apply to someone following MFP since it does not account for exercise calories.

Very good point

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I mean I do consume 1300 a day and my caloric needs arent much anyways because of my lifestyle... but 1200 a day is pure misery for me, I wouldnt be able to stay awake and it might cause serious emotion shifts ( ei i will burst into random tears if I am too hungry) I can't go below what I am currently doing. i am at the point my body SHOULD be adjusted to the calorie change, right? or am I supposed to be hungry all the time? I feel 1300 is barely enough, like I wouldn't be able to sustain this is I actually did have a job.

But you aren't consuming 1300 a day. You said that your MFP goal is 1300 and you are eating back 75% of your exercise calories. How many calories have you eaten on each of the past 10 days? Not your net. Your gross--the total number you've actually eaten. (in your estimation)

In mfp any calories you exercise off, you eat back. I usually don't even reach 1300 even after easting back those calories. I usually have a deficit of 75-150 calories a day.

I assure you I understand how MFP works. How many calories have you actually been eating?

okay i average 1250 net calories, sometimes more sometimes less, never over 1350.

Back to the food scale issue... Are you really eating that amount of calories if you are not using a food scale?

Okay, seems this is the point everyone keeps coming back to. I'll get a food scale, but truth be told, I don't think I'd be so hungry all the time if i were significantly overestimating my caloric intake. I'm not saying it's spot on, but there was a time in my life that I became moderately anorexic for an extended period of time , and this feels weirdly similar to that, except it's apparently okay to be this hungry lol...so my confusion could easily be traced to that I suppose. My perception of unacceptable hunger is set to real life experiences. probably tmi, but your last comment just provoked some critical thinking. I try to understand things as best i can.

The food scale will tell you a different story. I was so sad the day I first weighed my portion of cheese. It was so tiny and pathetic. If you are hungry all the time, then as you have mentioned you may need to choose foods which provide additional bulk such as veggies. I find that, for me, proteins and fats tend to keep me feeling full longer. So you may need to play around with it a bit until you find what works for you. You will, on occasion, feel hunger.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'unacceptable hunger,' but I can tell you my perception on hunger cues has changed significantly in the past 7 months. I used to have myself convinced that I couldn't sleep if I felt hungry and would actually get out of bed and eat more to make sure my stomach wasn't growling. I spent 4 weeks in a temple in Thailand where we were not to eat after noon. I learned very quickly that I can in fact sleep with that hunger feeling, and that it isn't the end of anything. I don't enjoy the feeling, but it isn't something that I loath as I used to.

I suggest getting the food scale, and being more patient in your plan. FYI (in case it is relevant or helpful), I am 5'2", and currently at 185 (started at 222 on here, but higher before), and losing on 1600/day (ignoring exercise unless I am hungry, because some days I am a lump).
  • Getty59
    Getty59 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what is your sodium consumption under over? If over a lot maybe u are just retaining water and are actually still losing fat.
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    no, that's why I'm concerned, no changes in the way clothes fit or how I look, I mean a tiny bit maybe but not significant at all.

Tiny bit is quite a lot for such a short time. You will get there. Don't be so hard on yourself Hun[/quote]

7 weeks is a short time?[/quote]

I have been using MFP since June. I don't think noticed a big difference in how things fit, or how I looked, for at least 3 months. So, for me, 7 weeks would have been a short time :) What I did notice was that I lost in strange places first - my arms slimmed down very quickly, as did my back and collarbone area. But the areas that I judge my clothing by (hips, stomach, legs), took longer to show the change. Perhaps you've lost in places that aren't super noticeable?
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    In reality you don't know what weight you started at and you are guesstimating how much you are eating. In the next few weeks weigh all foods, drink lots of water and now you have a starting weight so consider this a new start. Chances are things are shifting however since you don't know where you started how do you know things aren't changing. I'm betting on over eating and not realizing it.
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Also if you are still starving at 1300 cal then either up your calories or exercise a little more so you can eat some back.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You don't have much to lose, so loss will be slower. I'm the same height and a few lbs heavier, and I want to lose about 15lbs, and I know it'll be slow.

I'd also suggest more exercise. You're young, and you say you're unemployed, so you must have plenty of spare time to exercise. Go for some long walks. Do a fitness DVD or YouTube workout at home. Do couch to 5k. There are plenty of options.

I personally rarely eat back exercise calories. My TDEE is around 2500 most days, and I eat 1600-1700 calories per day. I'm a teacher on my feet all day (usually get 10,000 steps on my Fitbit just from work), I have 3 young kids who I run round after, and I work out 3-5 times a week. So I really don't think you eating back exercise calories is helping, especially if you're not really doing much exercise.
  • monrbrown730
    monrbrown730 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree that you really need to make sure that your portion control is on track. Are used to think that I was eating superhealthy but I was having way too much fruit and not enough veggies. I also think you need to figure out a way to get more weights into your workout I don't think you are getting your heart rate high enough to get to that calorie burn. She can afford weights try to use heavy things like books figure out some type of modification that will have you doing some type of resistance training