Healthy diet

Options
I've just joined the gym and back on my fitness pal my problem is that I find it hard to make a healthy meal as I don't like a lot of healthy stuff! I do love my chicken and meats if someone could fire me recipes of meals that include chicken or other meat it would be great or maybe a website that could help me

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd just google search for recipes. You can do stir fries with any veggies and meat. Pizza on a thin crust, you control the toppings. We do a lot of burgers and tacos and breakfast for dinner.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Make an effort to like veggies. Try a new one at least once a week.

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    you dont have to eat "healthy" to lose weight. I've just found it easier. for me it was more important to feel full and satiated than taste (although if it doesn't taste good i dont eat it.) so you get creative. broccoli with italian spices is so good! roasted cauliflower with zero oil is delicious! citrus this time of year is amazing. whole foods, slow grains are my go-tos. pinch of yum is now one of my favorite blogs for recipes. made her homemade ramen (with a ton of alterations) and it is so tasty. less than 200 calories for over 400 grams of soup.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What are you defining as healthy stuff? I think of dinner as some protein (usually some kind of lean meat/fish), a lot of vegetables, and usually some kind of starch, like pasta or sweet potato or lentils. I don't really use recipes, but just combine what I have in a way that seems appealing or (often) just cook them separately. If the issue is not liking vegetables, a lot of times that's about learning to cook them in different ways -- roasting is often a good entry, or sauteeing them in a little olive oil. I think doing them as a stirfry or in a pasta sauce (so you get a bite of the meat and seasoning you are using with them too) or in a soup can be a good way to get started.

Can you start by looking at what you currently make and figuring out ways to cut the calories and maybe improve the macros or add some more nutrients (if you are focusing on that stuff)?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This is a site that I and a lot of other MFPers use.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Why are chicken and meat not healthy? I am a huge meat eater and see nothing wrong with it.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I agree with jemhh. Chicken and meat grilled up, sautéed, marinaded, etc. are great! Just add in some veggies and fruits and voila! you've got your "healthy foods". Do you have to eat healthy? No, you don't. If you want to avoid the hunger pangs from eating empty calories, than just keep eating the chicken and meats. To lose weight, you stay within your calorie allotment.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Chicken and meat are fine foods, but watch your protein intake, carbs, and fat so that you get the right amount of those macronutrients. There are plenty of recipes on line and in stores. Try to eat most food from nature and less from a factory.
  • WigglexWigglexWiggle
    Options
    I personally really like Pinterest for recipes. Careful though, they have a lot of naughty recipes too.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I personally really like Pinterest for recipes. Careful though, they have a lot of naughty recipes too.

What is a naughty recipe?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I've just joined the gym and back on my fitness pal my problem is that I find it hard to make a healthy meal as I don't like a lot of healthy stuff! I do love my chicken and meats if someone could fire me recipes of meals that include chicken or other meat it would be great or maybe a website that could help me
    What type of foods did you eat before?

I'd take your previous diet and just eat less of it and cook it in a less calorific way to start with. Move to a smaller plate, try to use less oil. Bake instead of fry.

What "Healthy" stuff do you like? Are they low calorie? If so increase the volume of them on your plate.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    There are no 'bad foods', there are just bad relationships with foods. Learn to limit the treats that you love.

I increased the greens I eat simply by adding them to my daily smoothie.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I love pintrest too. It's so easy to find recipes that are delicious and easy to make. HungryGirl has recently moved away from the processed crap that used to be her staples so I've been impressed with her recent recipes. I think she does a good job of incorporating fruits and vegetables for people who normally have an aversion to them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @blue_chick_1 . I suggest logging your food the way you eat now for a week or two. MFP itself will give you hints on what your current diet profile is like and where there could be improvements. I know the first time I logged a Costco Muffin was a massive revelation. Massive.

You may find that very small changes to your diet, like baking your chicken instead of frying, removing the skin, can give you a whole lot more protein with a lot fewer calories.

As for a diet plan, I find the choose my plate to be healthy and balanced.

Most people who think they may not be eating that well are short on their fruits and vegetables. Do you want to incorporate more fruit and vegetables in your diet?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Spotted dick.
  • jgnatca
    Options
  • hmichaud09
    hmichaud09 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My husband does not eat healthy (veggies? Just potato, cucumber and corn tho he gave that one up). He just finds things that he likes and eats in moderation. He's lost 10 lbs so far in the last month or so.

I google recipes for my lunches and think about how I can tweak them to be healthier. I've been doing a lot of lo mein type of meals, with soba noodles.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Spotted dick.

Even though I know it's a thing, my better sense is telling me "don't google that at work"
  • jgnatca
    Options
    103210.jpg

I'm braver. Spotted dick. The google trick is to hit up the recipe site first before searching.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options

The following film has some examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdXj8mdi04M