How to Lose inches from thighs?

Options
I am very heavy on my lower half. Is there any way to lose inches off thighs? When I used to go for walking, I lost easily from my upper half. But I seem to be not losing inches off my bottom half. :(
There is no gap between my inner thighs. & to top it all, I am short that makes them look weird. :(

Replies

• la_traviesa36013
    Options
    bump
  • voldemortharrypotter
    Options
    :smile: Wow!! I have the exact same problem!! I would also be grateful for any tips, but the only thing I know is to do lunges and squats (like full squats) along with the exercise you normally would do. The reason why the extra is there is because the lunges and squats only tone, they don't actually burn the calories that will allow you to lose weight.:smile:
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Me too! Only just realised how bad a problem after seeing recent holiday snaps! Only thing is I have a broken toe so cant over do the exercise!
    I am interested to know if there are also any foods that are good for this problem ??
    jaycee xx
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Sorry, folks, but there isn't any way to spot-reduce fat. The first place you put on fat is going to be the last place it comes off. All you can do is keep concentrating on fat loss (not just weight loss) and your thighs will get smaller. Combine strength-training exercises with your cardio to help shape your muscles so that when the fat comes off, your legs will look lean and fantastic.

Good luck!
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm that way as well, doing Jillian Micheals 30 day shred helped a ton!! In 30 days I lost 3 inches off of both thighs!! I lost inches from everywhere else along with it but that was a the biggest difference!
  • m_tran
    m_tran Posts: 2
    Options
    I find a combination of cardio and pilates helps me. Lots of legs lifts and lunges.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    RUB carrot juice on them, it has no fat.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Sorry, folks, but there isn't any way to spot-reduce fat. The first place you put on fat is going to be the last place it comes off. All you can do is keep concentrating on fat loss (not just weight loss) and your thighs will get smaller. Combine strength-training exercises with your cardio to help shape your muscles so that when the fat comes off, your legs will look lean and fantastic.

Good luck!

This !
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options

Good luck!

This !

Strengthen training your thigh muscles can make them bigger, making the problem worse.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am very heavy on my lower half. Is there any way to lose inches off thighs? When I used to go for walking, I lost easily from my upper half. But I seem to be not losing inches off my bottom half. :(
    There is no gap between my inner thighs. & to top it all, I am short that makes them look weird. :(

To tone, you could try cycling. You can't spot reduce fat as people have said, but you can improve the muscle tone which will help. :-)
  • jmula
    jmula Posts: 38
    Options
    strength training will make the thighs tighter. they will build muscle as the fat is being burned off. If you plan your diet and workout in conjunction, you can strength train and not gain size in your legs. use higher reps (10-12) for toning. It will not make you gain any bulk, but add a nice toned shape. If you want to add size, you would do (8-10) reps. If you want to gain strength, your target would be (6-8).

Keep the cardio up, eventually you'll see the fat leave the "troubled" area(s). There always the first to store fat, and the last to give it up. Dont get discouraged. Stick with your plan and it will happen.

I'm fighting my last 10 lbs. Its in the first place I gain weight. My stomach. (I feel your pain) :)
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Strengthen training your thigh muscles can make them bigger, making the problem worse.

Completely NOT true....!

I've just completed 4 weeks of ChaLean Extreme (lots of squats & lunges with heavy weights - 15 lbs+), and I have already lost 1 inch of each thigh....

I've also been doing cardio as well (Turbo Jam), so I would suggest you do both....
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    strength training will make the thighs tighter. they will build muscle as the fat is being burned off. If you plan your diet and workout in conjunction, you can strength train and not gain size in your legs. use higher reps (10-12) for toning. It will not make you gain any bulk, but add a nice toned shape. If you want to add size, you would do (8-10) reps. If you want to gain strength, your target would be (6-8).

Keep the cardio up, eventually you'll see the fat leave the "troubled" area(s). There always the first to store fat, and the last to give it up. Dont get discouraged. Stick with your plan and it will happen.

I'm fighting my last 10 lbs. Its in the first place I gain weight. My stomach. (I feel your pain) :)

Your rep break down isn't quite right.

1 to 5 reps = Strength & Power (Myofibrillar Hypertrophy)
    6 to 12 reps = Size (Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy)
    13 to 20 reps = Muscular Endurance

I have more on this topic here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/234432-if-you-think-you-gained-muscle-read-this?hl=if+you+think+you+gained+muscle
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Completely NOT true....!

I've just completed 4 weeks of ChaLean Extreme (lots of squats & lunges with heavy weights - 15 lbs+), and I have already lost 1 inch of each thigh....

I've also been doing cardio as well (Turbo Jam), so I would suggest you do both....

This needs to be put into context. It depends on how much muscle we are taking about but I agree with asmcriminal. It can make it worse if you develop huge muscles. When I was in college I used to do the elliptical every day for 60 minutes on a very high resistance. At first I loved the resutls, then my thigh muscles started to get bigger than I wanted. Even Jillian Michael's says in her videos she hates the machines at the gym that build the thigh muscles "we don't want to build that muscle, we want to make it long and lean" :-)

In response to the original poster, just keep doing what you're doing and it will eventually come off when there is no where else left for it to come off!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    "we don't want to build that muscle, we want to make it long and lean" :-)

She seriously said that? And that many people still buy her dvd's? wow.

And I agree with Sara.
  • marianne_s
    Options

Completely NOT true....!

This needs to be put into context. It depends on how much muscle we are taking about but I agree with asmcriminal. It can make it worse if you develop huge muscles. When I was in college I used to do the elliptical every day for 60 minutes on a very high resistance. At first I loved the resutls, then my thigh muscles started to get bigger than I wanted. Even Jillian Michael's says in her videos she hates the machines at the gym that build the thigh muscles "we don't want to build that muscle, we want to make it long and lean" :-)

In response to the original poster, just keep doing what you're doing and it will eventually come off when there is no where else left for it to come off!

Did you actually get bigger thighs....? Did you even measure them?
    You may have thought your muscles were bigger..... but that probably was just your perception....

Seriously, women cannot build bigger muscles (without supplemental assistance)..... we do not have enough testosterone in our bodies.

Plus, are you really saying that you got bigger muscles just from using the elliptical.....? Seriously....?

Personally I will stick to the facts.... the fact is that I've been lifting 10 - 25 lb weights, 3 times a week, for the last 4 weeks....

and I another fact is that I've lost a total of 7 inches in those 4 weeks.... 2 inches of my waist, 1 inch of each of my thighs & arms... and 1 inch of my hips.....

I did NOT bulk up..... the measurements don't lie....
  • End6ame
    Options

Completely NOT true....!

You may have thought your muscles were bigger..... but that probably was just your perception....

Seriously, women cannot build bigger muscles (without supplemental assistance)..... we do not have enough testosterone in our bodies.

Plus, are you really saying that you got bigger muscles just from using the elliptical.....? Seriously....?

Personally I will stick to the facts.... the fact is that I've been lifting 10 - 25 lb weights, 3 times a week, for the last 4 weeks....

and I another fact is that I've lost a total of 7 inches in those 4 weeks.... 2 inches of my waist, 1 inch of each of my thighs & arms... and 1 inch of my hips.....

She may have. An elliptical at the highest resistance level will apply more resistance to the body than 10-25lb dumbbells. Also because the nature of the elyptical, even at higher resistance, is for endurance her muscles would have produced more sarcoplasmic fluid leading to a greater increase in muscle size rather than muscle strength.
  • marianne_s
    Options

She may have. An elliptical at the highest resistance level will apply more resistance to the body than 10-25lb dumbbells. Also because the nature of the elyptical, even at higher resistance, is for endurance her muscles would have produced more sarcoplasmic fluid leading to a greater increase in muscle size rather than muscle strength.

Ok.... if you say so..... :noway:

have a read -
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/female_athletes.htm
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=54
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/376497-how-women-bulk-up-with-weight-training/
    http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/ss/strengthmyths_5.htm
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Any woman who is gaining size from lifting heavy weights is either taking steroids, is eating way too many calories, or has a hormonal imbalance. I used to be skeptical about this myself because I've always had very muscular legs, but it wasn't until I started eating a very clean diet that I realized it was an excess of calories that had caused me to build so much muscle in the past. I've been lifting heavy weights 4 days a week since January, combined with the clean diet and cardio, and I have only gotten smaller.
  • End6ame
    Options

Ok.... if you say so..... :noway:

have a read -
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/female_athletes.htm
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=54
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/376497-how-women-bulk-up-with-weight-training/
    http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/ss/strengthmyths_5.htm

Yes, I am very knowledgably in weight training. The very article you referenced from EFS states that “Muscle bulk comes from a high volume of work.” Every stride on an elliptical at a high resistance would be considered one rep and there for, would be a very high rep workout leading to increases in size (sarcoplasmic fluid) within the muscles. I would recommend learning about Myofibrillar and Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and how they effect the muscles rather than regurgitating articles from the web. Will a women gain the same muscle size as a man, no, but that doesn’t mean that they cannot gain any muscle size naturally.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/234432-if-you-think-you-gained-muscle-read-this?hl=if+you+think+you+gained+muscle