Eating too little calories

Options
Today, I ate a little over 800 calories within 3 meals & 1 snack. It wasn't intentional but it kind of just turned out that way. I ate breakfast at 8:15, had a snack a few hours later, and then ate lunch at 2:00. I then fell asleep for 7 hours, woke up and had dinner. I'm not hungry but I got that "under calorie, unhealthy" warning after submitting my diary. My question is, should I eat another snack to meet the minimum calorie intake or just let it be.

Background: Regarding that 7 hour "nap". I work alternating nightshifts so my body sometimes shuts down for sleep at random hours.

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, don't worry about it for today. One day of undereating isn't a huge deal, just like one day of overeating isn't a huge deal. However, it would be a bad idea to eat that little, consistently, in the long run. So just use this as a learning opportunity to plan things out in the future!
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Man... I wish I could just sleep like that at any time. I would think irregularity like that would trigger strong self preservation cravings down the road, so it isn't good to make a habit of. Like it is often said, the only time you'll ever eat 2 l of ice cream is when you're dieting haha.

So unhealthy? Not too bad if its an isolated incident I think. Just a guess though
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have days like that, my schedule is crazy and so Saturdays and Sundays I sleep in much longer than my mother thinks is healthy ;) Then I don't really eat until its supper time and I am all out of the desire for food by then. On the other hand Mondays I probably eat more than I should so it evens out in the end.
  • slheddlesten
    slheddlesten Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, Work all night and all day and sleep 4-5 hours a day during the week. Write out and plan out what you will eat and when, then work on establishing a pattern of when you will sleep and stick to it every day for 2 weeks.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    open up your diary
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Unless hungry - let it be. :)
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    open up your diary

She didn't ask for input on her diary
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I used 980 calories and it said the same thing. Sorry but I'm trying to lose weight and no exercise today so I got to eat less than I do.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    I used 980 calories and it said the same thing. Sorry but I'm trying to lose weight and no exercise today so I got to eat less than I do.

22 year old male shouldn't be eating 980 calories!!!

Looking at your photo you don't look like you need to lose weight!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    pie_eyes wrote: »

22 year old male shouldn't be eating 980 calories!!!

Looking at your photo you don't look like you need to lose weight!!

I second that. A 22 year old male should not be eating 980 calories regularly. Doing so one in a while is fine, but a bigger calorie deficit is not always better. If you eat so little regularly, you will lose lots of muscle, and you will start to face nutritional deficiencies and their related health problems. Add to that the fact that the calorie goal given to you by this site does not include the exercise you intend to do unless you actually do it. The goal has a build in deficit, so even if you are not exercising you should still eat your calorie goal.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    OP is listed as a female. But it's still too few calories.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So you weigh all your food with a food scale? If not, it is possible you ate more than you thought. If so-I wouldn't worry about it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I almost said that too. Then I realized she quoted and was responding to pie_eyes who is listed as male. He said he eats 980.

800 is too low but one day being low will not hurt. If it becomes a regular occurrence, that is an issue.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options

Replies are not the OP but to the other poster eating 980 calories who is male.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I think if having a low calorie day isn't a daily occurrence, there is no need to worry. I've worked the night shift a few times and it is hard to eat on a schedule sometimes.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It happens to me every so often. I'd rather listen to my body that its full than to try and cram some last minute calories in. Like others said, if it happens often its def an issue.
  • ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I try to hit my goals every day, but I focus most on looking at the weekly average, week after week. Long-term consistency is the key. I'm sure you have days where things work out that you eat more than your goal, so it probably averages out. I also think looking at it weekly helps those who don't live a 9-5, steady, 24 cycle/schedule. If you are awake 20 hours one day and 10 another, you wouldn't eat the same amount just because your calorie counter says both are a "day". I'm bulking, but it doesn't change for losing. Being steady over time is what makes changes to your physique.