Maintainers for over a year secret?

Options
Just curious...How many people have reached their goal, been maintaining for at least a year or more, and still come back to My Fitness Pal to check in once in to post their weight to stay accountable? I am wondering if this is the secret to keeping the weight off.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It is for me. I'm much more lax in my logging than I used to be, but I still log just to stay generally accountable for myself. I've been maintaining since summer of 2014. I don't log shifts in my weight, but probably would if they became significant and required going back into deficit mode. I just log food/drink and exercise.... though I let my apps log the exercise for me, really. :)
  • vjessup
    vjessup Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining at goal for just a little over a year now. I still weigh & log everything that goes into my mouth. This is (for me) what keeps me accountable. It's just part of my daily routine now & requires so little effort I plan on continuing for the rest of my life. I know there are many people that are successful at maintenance without logging, but I know myself well enough to know I'm not one of these people.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've been maintaining almost 3 years. There is no secret. I log breakfast every morning, sometimes I finish the day sometimes not. More importantly, I'm part of a community through my friends on MFP who are committed to a new lifestyle. I weigh myself every two weeks to a month and maintain an active life.

Also, I'm visible and I don't hide what I look like. Secrets are the problem.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I think for me...after I get to my goal that I will have to be accountable for my weight. I am slowly learning life style changes that must happen in order not to fall back into bad eat choices and behavior.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    llbrixon wrote: »
    Just curious...How many people have reached their goal, been maintaining for at least a year or more, and still come back to My Fitness Pal to check in once in to post their weight to stay accountable? I am wondering if this is the secret to keeping the weight off.

I have been maintaining for two years, and it ROCKS! This is the first time I've maintained for six months, and prior to this I was never a healthy weight. The secret to keeping the weight off is having your priorities straight and simply learning how to manage your food so that you eat about the same amount of calories your burn. For me--and not everyone does this--I weight and log my food and count calories. I enjoy doing this because it's part of my day and takes little time. It's amazing that I still do not perceive what an actual portion is.

I frequent the forums because I believe in giving back what has been given to me--two fold or more. I like chiming in and sharing what I've learned. I see a lot of woo posted here in the form of do this and you will lose weight, and I like dispelling those silly rumors.

I've learned a lot here, and continue to do so. For example, I learned that no diet will work if I eat more calories than I burn, and I will lose weight on any diet as long as I eat at a calorie deficit. To me, this means that diet, unless prescribed by your doctor for a health reason, is preference only. Nothing more, nothing less. There are no special diets, no magic pills, potions, extracts or supplements, weight loss absolutely comes down to a calorie deficit.

I've also learned that exercise is 100% choice and that it is not necessary to weight management. I love to exercise, it has many health benefits, and it raises your total daily energy expenditure so that you can eat more, but lots of people lose weight and maintain without it.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I think for me...after I get to my goal that I will have to be accountable for my weight. I am slowly learning life style changes that must happen in order not to fall back into bad eat choices and behavior.

The way I see it, we are always accountable for our weight. Here is not the accountability factor, the individual themselves is.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    The secret is not to stop what got you to your weight loss or goal. Don't stop. That's the key. Follow the same basic routine that got you there.
  • Melij
    Melij Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I log everyday. It is the easiest way to make sure I'm not going overboard. I weigh once a week.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I don't log my food anymore at all. I have a 6-8 lb range that I stay in and my clothes let me know when I'm getting to the higher end of that. When that happens I usually just cut out alcohol and extra goodies at work for a month and bam, back down in to the lower end of the range. For most of my life I've been in "maintenance" though so I haven't had the real struggle like some others here. The only reason I started using MFP was because I couldn't lose my new marriage/pregnancy weight 5 years ago. I enjoy the community aspect and still like to log my exercise, if even just to inspire others on my friend's list.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    *hands up* me me me :smiley:
    2+ years maintaining goal range :smiley: , I still log most meals and I am active.

I jump on the scales a few times a week to keep an eye that all is well.

I would say have a goal weight range of +/- 3 to 5lbs, when/if you get to either side of that range (and it seems a true gain and not a normal/natural fluctuation etc) adjust calories accordingly up or down.

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    There is no secret. It's been a tougher journey than losing for me, but the keys are to continue with the behaviors which worked while you lost. For me, that's weighing myself every day, working out by doing exercises I enjoy, weighing my food (most of the time), but accepting I'm human and fall down occasionally.

Actually, maybe there is a secret.. personally I think it's that a lot more people keep the weight off than the stats suggest.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I'm going on three years. I don't log or otherwise keep any kind of diary. I spent my time learning how to eat appropriately while I was losing and simply carried that over into maintenance. The difference between maintaining and losing weight is a mere handful of calories...an extra snack or two or slightly bigger portions at a meal.

I eat the same way now as I did while I was losing. My diet consists largely of whole foods and meals prepared from scratch, whole ingredients or minimally processed food stuffs. My diet is substantially plant based in that I eat a lot of whole grains, legumes, lentils, seeds, nuts, veggies, and fruit. I do also eat meat and other protein sources and keep it to lean sources most of the time...we eat a lot of cod and salmon, chicken...we eat lean pork or beef probably once every couple of weeks. I get most of my fat from avocados, nuts, cooking oils (primarily avocado and olive) and the like. Basically, my diet is largely based on the DASH diet as my primary purpose in doing all of this was to help better control my hypertension, cholesterol (was through the roof) and blood glucose (was starting to show per-diabetic readings and I'm hereditary pre-disposed).

When I was losing, I pretty much determined that eating out frequently made weight management more difficult that it needed to be so I really dialed that back and continue to only eat out on occasion. As a family, we use long weekend getaways and vacations and other "special" occasions to indulge in eating out...otherwise we have pizza night out every couple of weeks and my wife and I try to have a date night at least once per month if not twice at one of our favorite restaurants.

I also exercise regularly just as I did while losing weight. I actually probably exercise more and with greater intensity now than I did then because I'm not dieting and have more energy to just get at it. I generally ride about 80 miles per week on my bike and I lift 2-3x per week. I walk my dog regularly and do a bit of hiking and swimming in the warmer months. I also do all of the things I did while losing to improve my NEAT...I take the stairs at work; park further away from the office building, stores, the gym, etc.

I weigh myself regularly to make sure I'm on track. Body weight isn't static so you should have a range for maintenance...nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs all of the time...maintenance is a range, not a specific number. If I see that as a general trend I appear to be putting on actual weight or my clothes are fitting tighter, I'll just cut out a snack or reduce my portion sizes and otherwise analyze any changes in my diet overall and adjust accordingly. Weighing in regularly and being mindful of how my clothing fits, etc ensures that I can nip it in the bud rather than letting it go and putting a bunch of weight back on.

I'm on MFP regularly primarily for the social media aspect...I don't use MFP to stay on track; my habits keep me on track.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I still exercise most days, trying to increase my burns, and I still log everything. Not gonna lie though, it's been tough the last month with all those special occasions and I've probably gained a couple pounds! But I'm not too worried about it because I'm sure I'll lose them easily after Christmas.
  • melzie7
    melzie7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've not been good at maintaining in the past so this will be my greatest challenge but I am determined I'll not add sugar to anything ever again or eat cakes/biscuits but I'm struggling with fruit.....I cut it out and am fearful about bringing it back in in case my weight goes up again. To me the whole thing has been about ditching sugar and eating more nutritionally rich foods.....but can I sustain this?
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for just about a year. Every once in a while I take a day off from logging, but when I've tried to step away from it completely, I notice my portion sizes climb gradually. I like to keep a record of my exercise anyway, so it's not difficult or time-consuming to log my food while I'm on here, and I weigh food less and stress out less about exactitude (often simply quick adding calories when I eat out) than I did when I was losing. I'm about to step away from the Internet for a couple of weeks, and I'm curious to see how I do, but I'll also be on vacation, so my whole routine will be different. I don't find maintaining any more or less challenging--just different--and I, too, actually work out more now because I have more energy. I weigh three times a week (don't own a scale, so I weigh at the gym) and I track my weight with trendweight.com, which someone on here once recommended.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've been at maintenance for a couple of years now. Twice a year or so I log my food for a few weeks just to check on my macro balance and make sure I'm getting enough protein and my diet hasn't drifted too far back over to the carb side. It's sort of like rebalancing your 401K once a year.

Other than that, I don't pay much attention to my diet except to eat protein whenever I can. I weigh myself once a week, and if my weight starts trending up, I cut back on sweets, alcohol, and portion sizes and add in another day or two of cardio and in a few weeks it's righted itself again.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    melzie7 wrote: »
    I've not been good at maintaining in the past so this will be my greatest challenge but I am determined I'll not add sugar to anything ever again or eat cakes/biscuits but I'm struggling with fruit.....I cut it out and am fearful about bringing it back in in case my weight goes up again. To me the whole thing has been about ditching sugar and eating more nutritionally rich foods.....but can I sustain this?

I wish you the best with your plan! Many will say sugar is not evil, and if you are able to enjoy it in moderation, doing so can prevent feeling deprived, cravings, and unplanned impulse consumption down the line. Nothing wrong with a celebratory splurge every so often. "Everything in moderation, including moderation." (Oscar Wilde)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    "Everything in moderation, including moderation." (Oscar Wilde) - good quote @ahoy_m8 :smile:
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Really interesting thread.
  • smelbo
    smelbo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There is no secret. It's been a tougher journey than losing for me, but the keys are to continue with the behaviors which worked while you lost. For me, that's weighing myself every day, working out by doing exercises I enjoy, weighing my food (most of the time), but accepting I'm human and fall down occasionally.

Actually, maybe there is a secret.. personally I think it's that a lot more people keep the weight off than the stats suggest.