slimfast

Options
Has anyone on here used slim fast as well ?if do what were your results ?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I have not ever used it, but the common theme I hear from those who have is that it can work in the short term if you stick to the plan. The main problem is a regain of all (and in some cases, more) weight after you stop, since it teaches you nothing about how to eat a proper diet in the long term.

My personal opinion is that learning how to balance your daily meals with your caloric requirements is much more sustainable (not to mention, tastier than drinking a bunch of shakes) long-term option.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I used Slim Fast years ago. Lost weight AND regained it. That's one of the problems with meal replacement plans, they teach you nothing about what you need to know to keep the weight off.

Another issue: Slim Fast is very high in sugar. Sugar is not satiating. I was hungry most the time. Sugar is just a cheap filler.

You could do much better by making your own meal replacement smoothies....get some quality protein powder, add some fat, and get some fiber. Protein shakes are not designed to replace meals.

But learning to prep real meals - measuring portions and logging food that you will eat in the future - those are learning experiences you can use after the weight is off.
  • thisfitmama16
    thisfitmama16 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I used Slim Fast years ago. Lost weight AND regained it. That's one of the problems with meal replacement plans, they teach you nothing about what you need to know to keep the weight off.

Another issue: Slim Fast is very high in sugar. Sugar is not satiating. I was hungry most the time. Sugar is just a cheap filler.

You could do much better by making your own meal replacement smoothies....get some quality protein powder, add some fat, and get some fiber. Protein shakes are not designed to replace meals.

But learning to prep real meals - measuring portions and logging food that you will eat in the future - those are learning experiences you can use after the weight is off.

Thank-you I found this to be helpful , I was thinking about doing slim fast and counting cals at the same time
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Thank-you I found this to be helpful , I was thinking about doing slim fast and counting cals at the same time

Slim Fast is designed you so don't have to count calories. That's the problem. You can drink a 200 calorie shake for breakfast & log it...period....done.

OR you can measure a single portion of oats, 1 Tbl. of chopped nuts, 1 Tbl of craisins, and 1 packet of Splenda, then log that.

The difference is I will not be drinking shakes during maintenance (I would be totally sick of them by then anyway). But I will still be eating "regular" food for breakfast. Measuring and logging ACTUAL food is so very helpful. I am fat because my portions are too big.

MFP helps you too by allowing you to create recipes....so you don't have to log individual ingredients all the time. Plus you get to see what's in the food you chose (protein, fat, fiber, etc.). You choose what to eat, and see if that is well rounded and filling. It's all a learning experience.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I don't use the slimfast brand, as mentioned earlier too much sugar, however I do eat protein bars or shakes on occassion. Sometimes, if I have a larger than usual meal for lunch, I will have a protein shake for dinner to both compensate calorie wise, but also because I'm usually not that hungry.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I use a protein shake for breakfast and log the calories, using the Wal-Mart brand body fortress, super advanced whey protein (Strawberry) I like the taste and its 170 calories and 30g protein. I liked the slimfast vanilla with blueberries and ice blended into a smoothie.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I do not know how that company dares to put so much sugar in a shake. I guess people don't know.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i drank it but I did not find it good as a replacement. it did not keep me full. it tasted good-the strawberry