Appetite suppressants

Options
Just want to say hello to everyone as I'm new here but not new to dieting!

I'm wanting to take appetite suppressants to stay withing my calorie allowance and just wanted to see if anyone is taking them alongside calorie counting, any comments appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I don't want to artificially mess with my hunger cues. Low calorie, high volume foods like broccoli work great for me. Also, if I eat sufficient protein in relationship to carbs, I don't get the munchies.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I'm wanting to take appetite suppressants to stay withing my calorie allowance and just wanted to see if anyone is taking them alongside calorie counting, any comments appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

They're a waste of money.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Yah, don't waste your money. They are all gimmicks. Try increasing foods with protein and fiber. Protein-rich meals keep me fuller longer.
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I did. I took Topamax. Which isnt technically an appetite suppressant but its used to help with binge eating and can cause weightloss. Anyway I only used it for about a month at 50 mg. It didn't do anything for me i even gained weight while taking it though not because of it. It also can cause blindness and i started having blurry vision which is a bad warning sign so i stopped taking it. So didn't work for me but it might for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Blurry vision isn't the only side effect of Topamax.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/topamax-side-effects.html
    For the Consumer

Applies to topiramate: oral capsule, oral capsule extended release, oral tablet

As well as its needed effects, topiramate (the active ingredient contained in Topamax) may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.

If any of the following side effects occur while taking topiramate, check with your doctor immediately:

More common
    Any vision problems, especially blurred vision, double vision, eye pain, or rapidly decreasing vision
    burning, prickling, or tingling sensations
    clumsiness or unsteadiness
    confusion
    continuous, uncontrolled back-and-forth or rolling eye movements
    dizziness
    drowsiness
    eye redness
    generalized slowing of mental and physical activity
    increased eye pressure
    memory problems
    menstrual changes
    menstrual pain
    nervousness
    speech or language problems
    trouble in concentrating or paying attention
    unusual tiredness or weakness

Less common
    Abdominal or stomach pain
    fever, chills, or sore throat
    lessening of sensations or perception
    loss of appetite
    mood or mental changes, including aggression, agitation, apathy, irritability, and mental depression
    red, irritated, or bleeding gums
    weight loss

Rare
    Blood in the urine
    decrease in sexual performance or desire
    difficult or painful urination
    frequent urination
    hearing loss
    loss of bladder control
    lower back or side pain
    nosebleeds
    pale skin
    red or irritated eyes
    ringing or buzzing in the ears
    skin rash or itching
    swelling
    trouble breathing
    Incidence not known
    Blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin
    blisters in the mouth
    blisters on the trunk, scalp, or other areas
    bloating
    clay-colored stools
    constipation
    cough
    diarrhea
    increased rate of breathing
    joint or muscle pain
    pain or tenderness in upper abdomen or stomach
    red skin lesions, often with a purple center
    sores, ulcers, or white spots in the mouth or on the lips
    yellow eyes or skin
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Talk with your doctor about pharmacology interventions if you think you need it. Don't just go to the drugstore for over the counter because it can be dangerous.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Unless prescribed, I wouldn't take anything. certainly not otc diet pills.
    before you take anything, be aware of all the side effects.
  • heathereh2015
    heathereh2015 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had this problem, but when I started to eat more protein like suggested it helped!
  • Marigold000
    Marigold000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies!
    I was thinking of useing xls medical appetite supressant because my sister is already useing them and says they work for her ....anyone tried these ?

I don't eat much meat or chicken what would be good protien alternatives ?
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Eggs! I like to scramble a couple in a microwave - quick and filling.
  • heathereh2015
    heathereh2015 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    An easy protein that I eat is spoonfuls of canned black beans on a tortilla with low fat cheese! My son is eating that now for lunch :) I also buy the Lara bars! They help with my sweet tooth and have a good amount of protein!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. Just a bandaid.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    gorymeraz wrote: »
    artichoke vials, they work, i used them a while ago, they will give you some gagging effects sometimes though and they are bad for the kidney if used long term.

Nope to this one. Seriously :(
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!

Seriously, if you want something, get it from an MD -- something that is FDA approved.
    Stay away from trash you can get over the counter.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself: How does an appetite suppressant actually teach me how to NOT over eat?

Answer is: THEY DON'T. If you cannot learn how to control your appetite through eating, you'll be on the suppressants the rest of your life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    gorymeraz wrote: »
    artichoke vials, they work, i used them a while ago, they will give you some gagging effects sometimes though and they are bad for the kidney if used long term.

This should seem like enough reason to NOT use this... :#
  • Marigold000
    Marigold000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies think I will stick to upping my protein and seeing how it goes
  • bethclabburn
    bethclabburn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use something called Alpha Cuts, it's a fat burner, appetite suppressant and gives energy.
    Me and my hubby use it as pre work out, he asked our trainer about it first, he says they all work if the diet is good too.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I use something called Alpha Cuts, it's a fat burner, appetite suppressant and gives energy.
    Me and my hubby use it as pre work out, he asked our trainer about it first, he says they all work if the diet is good too.

Anything works if your diet is on point - because THE DIET is what's actually working, not the "supplements".

The diet/supplement industry is a multi-billion dollar fraud machine and the only people who benefit from it are the people selling all that garbage which does absolutely, positively nothing that a good diet and training program will accomplish by itself.