This is my story.

Options
My battle began December 14, 2012. My daddy was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer and my mom found a lump in her breast. My world was crashing down around me, so I stopped caring as much for me and began worrying about my parents. The lack of exercise and emotional eating took its toll. My mom found out hers was nothing to worry about, but my daddy was a different story. He battled this horrible disease for 2 years, 1 month and 2 days. He passed on January 16, 2015. In the past 3 years, I have gained an unhealthy 50 lbs. As I approach the 1 year anniversary, I am finding that I am struggling to discover peace and also determination. I know my daddy would not want me to be like this. I want to lose the weight and have an exercise program that I stick to, as well as accountability partners to help motivate me through this journey.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. I'm sure this is awful for you. Hugs!!!!
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my dad at a young age to ALS. He passed in January as well. It does get easier and you always have your memories. Hugs to you and I wish you peace and inner strength to find your determination.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry sweetheart. It's tough losing a parent. Hang in there. Hugs
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. You can get through this.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry for your loss, and your struggles these last few years. Though it has been many years, I know what it's like to lose a parent to cancer. My heart goes out to you.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    @ckohler15 Welcome to MyFitnessPal. I am so sorry for your loss. There is a great community here that can be there for you in all your struggles. Reach out and find people to connect with, friends really do help.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon that when we get so focused in taking care of others, we don't keep as focused on taking care of ourselves. There's a lot of good people and resources here to help. What kind of approach to diet and exercise are you thinking about? What questions do you have?
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Im sorry for your loss.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    That's 2 years of struggle. I feel for you and hope that you now can turn a page in your book to care for yourself. Best to you!,
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I too am so sorry for the loss of your dearly loved Dad..... <3

It sounds as though you are at the beginning of a new Chapter in your life....now ready and able to look at taking care of yourself and work towards achieving whatever goals that will enhance your life and bring you joy and satisfaction.

I wish you all the very best and wish you a very warm welcome to the MFP community.