Most accurate TDEE calculator other than MFP?

Options
I tried several and some state 1700 and other 1500.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MFP is not a TDEE calculator.

There is no most accurate. They are all estimates. 200 calorie difference isn't huge. They are meant to be a starting place, not an exact. Pick one or average them, log as accurately as possible over a period of a few weeks, ie more than 2-3, then evaluate. Adjust up or down slightly if needed. Give it another few weeks. Re-evaluate.
    Real world results will tell you where you should be.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates at maintenance and this would be Tdee, but I like your idea to average both. Thanks!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It calculates NEAT at maintenance, not TDEE.

This.
    MFP does not include exercise until you log it, even at maintainance. TDEE includes all activity.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The most accurate way of calculating your own TDEE is to track your data and weight loss and calculated your operating TDEE.

Use this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-data-export-tool-the-overview-659927
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    At first I used the difference between what iifym.com and scooby's gives me. Now I just use my own data though.
  • arditarose
    Options
    MFP actually calculates my TDEE because I don't do cardio lol. It kind of just happened that way...I had to figure it out.
  • hellonew2015
    edited December 2015
    Options

This.
    MFP does not include exercise until you log it, even at maintainance. TDEE includes all activity.

Wouldn't TDEE=NEAT if sedentary?
  • hellonew2015
    Options
    Thanks all for your input!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I really do like Scooby's best:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I think back when I started losing I was nerdy enough to take the average of all the models he has in his drop-down list, lol. Now that I'm in maintenance, I know my own. One of the most forgiving of those models works best for me, as it turns out, but I'm 45 and lift, and I'm also large-framed. Regardless, the extra calories are very nice :) And one of the models still works, so I can't say I'm any outlier.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I really do like Scooby's best:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I think back when I started losing I was nerdy enough to take the average of all the models he has in his drop-down list, lol. Now that I'm in maintenance, I know my own. One of the most forgiving of those models works best for me, as it turns out, but I'm 45 and lift, and I'm also large-framed. Regardless, the extra calories are very nice :) And one of the models still works, so I can't say I'm any outlier.

The averages of all the activity levels? lol curious because now I want to do that.

I find scooby's to be on the high side for me but I like to be hopeful.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    No, the averages of what each model gives. If you check out that drop-down box down below, you get different calorie levels based on which model you choose. You have to know your bodyfat for some of them.

I get less on Scooby's default model because I'm 45, I think. In reality I can eat more than that and not gain, thank God. I don't count my exercise, but my exercise also doesn't burn many calories itself.
  • arditarose
    Options
    No, the averages of what each model gives. If you check out that drop-down box down below, you get different calorie levels based on which model you choose. You have to know your bodyfat for some of them.

I get less on Scooby's default model because I'm 45, I think. In reality I can eat more than that and not gain, thank God. I don't count my exercise, but my exercise also doesn't burn many calories itself.

Oh I never noticed what you are talking about. My exercise burns so little too. I only lift so I'm always hesitant when I select my exercise because I assume the calculations are figuring in some sort of cardio too.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Average from sites was 2500. Calculated 8 months ago at 2650. Recently recalculated using 82 days worth of data at 2454. Basically scooby and the other sites were very close. Ultimately rely on your own data.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

This.

Wouldn't TDEE=NEAT if sedentary?

Not quite

TDEE = NEAT + EAT + RMR + TEF

If sedentary TDEE = NEAT + RMR + TEF
  • hellonew2015
    Options
    Thanks!