Best free step counter app on Iphone?

Options
Hi I need your advice.

I have been using the built in iPhone step counter. I love the simplicity and accuracy. But mfp doesnt ignore the calories if I switch on calories adjustment with the iPhone and I find it distracting.

I tried a few others that link to mfp (which is my preferred way) but with all of them I have to start the exercise before it starts counting. Only "Under Armour Record" doesnt do that but I am no interested in sharing my steps or the social aspect of it. I find it a bit cluttered, too. If I have to, I need to get a seperate app that I cant link to mfp..but there are tons put there! I would like to have one with a simple interface and if it could differenciate between running and walking or map my walks that would be great but its not a big deal if it cant. Any advice?

Replies

• Matt71Fleming
    Matt71Fleming Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use pedometer++ and it links up well with myfitnesspal.Not much to look at but it does me fine and no complaints
  • judywoody
    judywoody Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    hi matt, just downloaded it and I like it..but I cant link it to mfp? This app is not an option in mfp :-(
  • Matt71Fleming
    Options
    Apologies judy I've not got it linked either.Ive pacer linked to myfitnesspal.So sorry.I use pacer to log my runs and when I check pacer with pedometer++ they are exactly the same numbers.Others I've used in the past have been way off each other.I found it easy to use.I also like pacer.I find it easy to use.Sorry again for the bum info.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Pacer and Pedimeter++ have the same step count because they're both pulling data from the same source - your phone.

I just started using Runtastic, which is GPS-based, so it keeps track of my walks (when I tell it to, for exercise purposes). MapMyWalk does the same thing. You can choose to link to MFP or not. These are both free apps.

I'm using a Jawbone UP2 step tracker on my wrist for the non-exercise parts of my day, but prior to that I used my phone. I found the phone to be very inaccurate. Since it's inaccurate, all the apps pulling data from my phone were giving me skewed data. After a while I had to break down and spend $ for a tracker since I found it important to me.
  • Matt71Fleming
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    Pacer and Pedimeter++ have the same step count because they're both pulling data from the same source - your phone.

I just started using Runtastic, which is GPS-based, so it keeps track of my walks (when I tell it to, for exercise purposes). MapMyWalk does the same thing. You can choose to link to MFP or not. These are both free apps.

I'm using a Jawbone UP2 step tracker on my wrist for the non-exercise parts of my day, but prior to that I used my phone. I found the phone to be very inaccurate. Since it's inaccurate, all the apps pulling data from my phone were giving me skewed data. After a while I had to break down and spend $ for a tracker since I found it important to me.

I understand that they pull data from the same source.A previous app was not giving me the same results.I used a pedometer in my other pocket for a day and found my phone with pacer was near enough the same results.Each to their own.I'll continue using my phone.Im fitter than I've been in 20 years lowest weight in 25 years so it's working for me.
  • judywoody
    judywoody Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »

What kind of phone are u using? I find the iPhone way more accurate than Android...Even counted my steps manually to compare and its pretty bang on!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I use an iPhone. It tracks about 15% more steps than my Jawbone UP2 that's on my wrist.