Introducing: The Carrot Hotdog

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Don't call it a hot dog and many panties will get untwisted. Nice idea, why not? I love roasted carrots so this is worth a try. I wouldn't have it when what I really want is a hotdog though, but I've been going through a carrot craving phase lately and this sounds like an idea to try.
  • breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    these sound really yummy- thanks for sharing :) I 100% agree with amusedmonkey on the panties comment. Loads of these foods would be so much better received if they weren't marketed as alternatives but just recipes in their own right.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I have no interest in carrot on a bun. The flavors and textures just don't go together.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Can't wait till they start making veggie "turkey" legs......................................

My thought is, if one is vegetarian, then why are they trying to simulate eating a meat/meat product with these recipes? If the goal is to be meat free, then why bother calling it a hot dog? Things that make you go hmmm.

Nothing against anyone being a vegetarian, just wondering why there needs to be a "meat" recipe.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Can't wait till they start making veggie "turkey" legs......................................

My thought is, if one is vegetarian, then why are they trying to simulate eating a meat/meat product with these recipes? If the goal is to be meat free, then why bother calling it a hot dog? Things that make you go hmmm.

Nothing against anyone being a vegetarian, just wondering why there needs to be a "meat" recipe.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Don't ask...
    http://avocadosandales.com/2015/08/12/vegan-turkey-leg/

I believe some vegetarians do so because they enjoy meat, but can't have it for moral reasons, so they simulate the experience with whatever resources they have by playing around with condiments and shape. Names are a part of this simulation.

With that said, most of these substitutes are not really a vegetarian thing. Just people who have been fed a lot of media about what is healthy and what is not. Having a "healthy" hot dog weighs lighter on their conscience if they are on a diet, even if it tastes nothing like a hot dog. Same as above, it's basically some form of make-believe.

I tend to not really dwell on naming when such ideas are presented. A carrot is a carrot, and it's delicious, regardless of what you wish to call it. Having it in a bun with condiments that are usually used for hot dogs is a curious idea that I'm willing to try. Because, why not? I might end up liking it.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Perhaps some people are after foods that perfectly simulate meat because that's what they'd rather be eating if not for some ethical or religious reason, but I know for sure that when I eat a "veggie burger" it isn't because I secretly want to eat meat--it means I want to eat something in the form of a patty, fully dressed, on a bun. Why not make a patty or hot dog out of something other than meat? In fact, I've never seen a cow that looked like a hamburger patty, nor have I ever seen a chicken that looks like a nugget. Those are culturally specific ways of preparing food, and while those have traditionally been meat, it doesn't have to be that way. The "Burger" or "Hot Dog (Sausage Link)" or "Nugget" transcends the ingredients.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    ModernRock wrote: »

Perhaps some people are after foods that perfectly simulate meat because that's what they'd rather be eating if not for some ethical or religious reason, but I know for sure that when I eat a "veggie burger" it isn't because I secretly want to eat meat--it means I want to eat something in the form of a patty, fully dressed, on a bun. Why not make a patty or hot dog out of something other than meat? In fact, I've never seen a cow that looked like a hamburger patty, nor have I ever seen a chicken that looks like a nugget. Those are culturally specific ways of preparing food, and while those have traditionally been meat, it doesn't have to be that way. The "Burger" or "Hot Dog (Sausage Link)" or "Nugget" transcends the ingredients.
    Meat of any type has a pretty distinct taste and texture. Part of the reason why I've never considered becoming a vegan or vegetarian is because there are no plants that can simulate that. If there was something legitimate that existed, I might consider it. But it's something about the smell of roasting meat on a grill that keeps me in the game.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Some people don't find that distinct flavor and texture to be a deal breaker. They're not missing anything by having a burger made out of beans instead of cow. I'm still after a good texture to a patty because that's part of what makes a Burger, but instead enjoying the distinct flavor and texture of black beans and spices when they're cooked into a patty.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I have no interest in carrot on a bun. The flavors and textures just don't go together.

This is my only beef.

I don't care what people call their food. This just doesn't go.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Seriously, no RealCarrotFacts fans here? It's one of the best things on Twitter.

j1NxSLY.png
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    lol. you could even make cocktail weenies with baby carrots. mocktail weenies. No way. I love carrots but that would just be messed up.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Not my type of thing but I do love baby carrots wrapped inn bacon, they are lovely!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    lol. you could even make cocktail weenies with baby carrots. mocktail weenies. No way. I love carrots but that would just be messed up.
    Not my type of thing but I do love baby carrots wrapped inn bacon, they are lovely!

See, now we're getting somewhere! Let's take a nice roasted baby carrot, maybe with some brown sugar or maple, wrap it in back, throw it in a mini-crescent roll...that's something I could probably get behind!
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    when I was a kid my dad use to give us a carrots on wheat bread and I loved it. I might get some tonight :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

This is my only beef.

There's nothing wrong with beef. You don't have to limit your beef to your hot dogs. :)
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

This is my only beef.

There's nothing wrong with beef. You don't have to limit your beef to your hot dogs. :)

Wat?

Oh you're joking
  • arditarose
    Options
    ebonyroche wrote: »
    when I was a kid my dad use to give us a carrots on wheat bread and I loved it. I might get some tonight :)

Sorry. I snorted. I do hope you enjoy your carrot on white bread tonight though.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    ebonyroche wrote: »

Yeah, but it has to be shredded or grated. And it needs other stuff. Like turkey, chicken, avocado, hummus, and/or cheese. I used to get sandwiches from the food co-op in college with havarti or turkey, plus avocado, tomato, carrots, and sprouts. They were so good.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    But can I eat carrot dogs on the military diet?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Meat of any type has a pretty distinct taste and texture. Part of the reason why I've never considered becoming a vegan or vegetarian is because there are no plants that can simulate that. If there was something legitimate that existed, I might consider it. But it's something about the smell of roasting meat on a grill that keeps me in the game.

While I'm not a vegan, never have the desire to be one and agree 100% with your last sentence, have you ever tried a nice, big grilled portabella mushroom as the "meat" for a sandwich? Even though it's not quite the same as real meat, it's very tasty! I don't mind it as an alternative once in a while.