Eating and self control

Options
I have noticed that I have no self control when it comes to eating sweets. I can't just have a spoonful of ice cream or just one cookie. I have to have multiple and it ends up leading to even more sweats. I'm not as concerned about that calories, more about the unhealthy habits I have formed. Please let me know if you have any ways to "talk yourself out" of eating sweats uncontrollably. Or maybe you think of it a different way and can tell yourself just one. Anything will help

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Can't help you, I'm just like you :s If I buy it, I eat it. So I just try not to buy anything I don't plan on eating.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Don't start is the only thing that works for me.

I find that having less-sweet versions helps. Unsweetened chocolate (like Ghirardelli 100% Cacao), maraschino cherries dipped in baking chocolate, black bean fudge with twice the cocoa and one third the sugar. Satisfies the chocolate craving without triggering the sugar craving.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You could make it fit into your calories for the day. Moderation. Keep track of your calorie intake and if you have a few calories left in the day give yourself a treat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If you can't make moderation work (like I can't), you may find some substitutes that will allow you to eat more. I found mine. I don't post them a lot on here because they get poo-pooed. I spent a lot of time in the grocery store reading nutrition labels, and learning how to doctor things up with an oreo, low fat whipped cream, powder peanut butter, cocoa powder.

Moderation is great but I need a big bowl of something.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty good with moderation... for the majority of food. That said, I love potato chips and while sugar isn't my weakness rich sweets, like cake and pastry are. After a few failed attempts to use portion control or reserve them for the occasional treat I just had to accept those things are better left at the store.
    You might have to consider making the same call.
    Good luck!
  • jinkoori
    jinkoori Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I once struggled with this, too. I used to love carbs and was an overeater even though I wasn't overweight. But it's changed now: I don't feel compulsion anymore, and I crave more healthy foods. I'm also surprised since it came somewhat suddenly. I felt this change when I resolved to myself that I want toned, muscular abs for figure skating and so started eating more protein, fiber and healthy carbs. And maybd because of it being habitual, my preference also changed. I think changing my motivation helped me the most. Before, my motivation was just to look good and fit and maintain a healthy bmi. But now, it is to be stronger, more than just to look stronger. ^^
  • Vodka97
    Vodka97 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I work at Subway, and get there at 5AM and don't leave till 2:30PM pretty much 4 times a week. I often forget to take food (and even then, it's hard to bring that much food to work), so as much as I try not to eat subway, 9 hours there with no food...I'm dying by the end of it if I don't.
  • christinaarcand
    christinaarcand Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with this a lot. In fact I've realized that my problem is not a lack of self control. That it's an actual binge eating disorder. Yes I have to take responsibility for the times that I am not craving something and do indulge but I also feel like there are many times when I am totally out of control, I medicate with food. Beyond the normal just Oh, I had a bad day. It's becoming habitual and I have to break the cycle in order to achieve my goals. I've ordered a book brains over binge and I tried to get counseling but so far I haven't been able to . I'm trying to use different outlets, this for example to help me get control of things.
    This week I quit drinking alcohol which I know is packing on the pounds and I think I need a break. Back when I quit smoking I had to quit drinking for about 4 months too, so I am thinking the same rule applies.

I've always been the person who can eat healthy all day but then at night, I binge or I can't control myself. I can't have just a handful of chips, I don't feel satisfied and I can't have just a little piece of cake or brownie, I want more. I know that I have to relearn my relationship with foods and also keep the booze out of the diet but also not deprive myself. that's the hard part. Learning to not deprive but also learning how to not want more. It's a cycle. It's frustrating.
  • Exerorg
    Exerorg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If it's due to hunger, try forcing yourself to eat regular food or drink water instead. I know that if I feel full I'm much less likey to reach for the sweets.
  • 46HealthyMe
    46HealthyMe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is something that I also struggle with. When I'm stressed it's way worse too.
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I want sweets I have some kind of spicy herbal tea instead. No calories, but flavor and it often satisfies whatever I was wanting.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ekruska802 wrote: »
    Sometimes if I want sweets I have some kind of spicy herbal tea instead. No calories, but flavor and it often satisfies whatever I was wanting.

This is literally what I'm doing right now. I just made this batch of brownies for a party I'm going to-a layer of chocolate chip cookie, layer of peanut butter oreo, layer of brownie with ghirardelli chocolate chips, topped with whipped chocolate frosting. I already tasted one but reeeaaalllly can't have another. Tea time!
  • knolan147
    knolan147 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Do not buy sweets. They are just too irresistible! Lol! I had an ice cream addiction that was rivaled by none. I know it's a problem so I buy sherbet when I want ice cream. It's not as fattening, it's tangy and I eat less, and it stays in the freezer for more than one day. Feel free to add me if you like. You are not alone.
  • erebar
    erebar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I recently gave up all sweet treats for a prolonged period and after about 3-4 days it was easy. But this week with Christmas approaching and all the treats around I tried to enjoy a little bit and ended up gaining like 3-4 lbs. because I couldn't stop eating the stuff until I felt sick. Sometimes I wonder if I have a sugar addiction or binge disorder.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It sure is easier to ignore sweets if you don't eat them for a few days. I read a facinating article on research that showed that some bad belly bacteria might sabatoge the brain into feeding them to the detriment of the person. It went on to say that one can overcome this by healthy eating in the relatively short term. It was in Medscape, for the other medical folks out there.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Sugar is an addiction. I really believe this! Once I weaned myself off of my sugar addiction, I did not full the need to eat sugary things. You can relate if you see lots of food you love and your mouth goes crazy and you feel the need to eat something right then... you have lost totally control and all you want to do is eat. The holidays are here and it is really hard for me to ignore the sweets. First...do not buy them! If you have them in the house, put them out of sight! Drink your daily water! If you want something sweet, then eat an apple slowly!
  • tasaiar1
    tasaiar1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My husband and I battled this in only one way. We stopped buying them. We used to go through packets of biscuits in one sitting.

We starred going shopping as normal. Putting what we craved in the basket at the beginning of our shopping trip. Then along the way we'd substitute each unhealthy item for something else we actually need (we were students back then and were teeing to save money as well) do that helped a lot.

For a long time we had no snacks at home. Now 3 years later we but only 1 unhealthy item and we take one sweet or biscuit. Then put the packet back. I store these in a sealed box at the top of a cupboard I can't reach. So I tend to get really lazy in getting a chair and climbing up for more :) that's really helped me in self control. I usually have non lol