Feeling Faint??

Options
I wasnt sure where to put this topic but I seemed liek it would be ok to put it here.
Anyways, lately when I get up off the couch or get up from laying/sitting down I get this really weird feeling like Im going to faint. I have to grab ahold of something to make sure I dont fall. Does anyone else ever have that feeling, and does anyone know what could cause this??

Replies

• joegray
    joegray Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    your just getting up too fast
    Takes me a few seconds to get my vision clear if I jump up too fast
  • sarapulsifer
    Options
    Really? Thats so weird. Thanks though :)
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    Could be that you are getting up too fast, but if it happens any other time it could also be low blood sugar. Try eating an orange and that might help. Also make sure you are not exercising too hard and not eating enough calories
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Er, it's not really that normal. At least it doesn't happen to me every time I get up - just when my blood sugar is low. Makes sure you're eating enough (i.e. eating exercise calories back if you're not doing). If you've just started on MFP, then maybe it's just your body readjusting to the new intake :)
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Could be a number of things. If it's a relatively new occurrence it could be an inner ear inflammation, or it could be that your blood pressure is on the low side.
  • pedalpusher5
    Options
    Two things come to mind, low blood sugar and low blood pressure.
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    i get this too ,not just when i get up too quick ,but sometimes during a normal day ,my eyesight goes funny & can feel the colour drain from my face & feels like im going to pass out ,also get shakey with it ,worst time is when it happens in the supermarket at the checkout ,cant tell you what it is but just wanted to tell you i get it too x
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It could also be low iron
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have blood pressure on the low end of normal, and that's fairly typical for me. Doctor said nothing to worry about. My husband has had three attack of passing out and hitting his head after watching a movie (so being sat or laid down for a long time somewhere warm) and then getting up too quickly!

Get yourself checked out, try and balance your blood sugar levels through the day, and get up slower.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    -low blood sugar
    -low blood pressure
    -Inner ear infection

Go see you doctor....
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    This is not normal, you need to see your doctor.
    No one on a forum knows enough about you or your medical history to be able to pick what is going on.
    There's a very good chance that it's not anything to worry about, but without seeing your doctor you don't know that.
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I had this problem but with mine I actually fainted turned out to be low blood pressure. If this is the cause of yours make sure you are staying well hydrated and if need me up your sodium intake a little:-)
  • hellsbell
    hellsbell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Found this info in an article - a description of lightheadedness (here is the link with the full text: http://www.pneuro.com/publications/dizzy/):
    This is what you feel when you get up too fast, as if not enough blood is getting to your brain. A certain small amount of transient lightheadedness is normal, but sometimes lightheadedness is more persistent. This occurs with anemia from blood loss, volume loss from sweating, when you are short on fluids. Medicines that affect blood pressure regulation include antihypertensives, diuretics and antidepressants.
    My BP is naturally on the lower end of the normal range and I always need to be careful not to get up too fast, turn too quickly etc. especially after working out. If you work out make sure you're drinking lots of water!
  • missanitab
    missanitab Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would just go to the Doctor and to be absolutely sure!
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think that if it happens infrequently you're probably getting up too fast...but if it happens every time you get up, or even daily that would be less normal.

Make sure that you're eating enough and that you are evenly (as possible) spreading your food throughout the day. Try to eat a little something every 2-3 hours to keep your blood sugar from dipping way low.

Are you drinking enough water? I get the spins at night (just like you might from drinking too much) if I haven't had enough water during the day.

Alternate option: No sitting on the couch. :P

Hope you're feeling back to normal soon.
  • sarapulsifer
    Options
    I never eat all my calories back because I get too full. But this isnt a recent thing. Its been happening for a while now. The low blood suger/pressure does make sence seeing how I dont eat all my calories back everyday. But I will deff talk to my docter at my appointment. By the sounds of It I have to make a list to bring with me lol!
  • joegray
    joegray Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i get visual darkness for about 2 seconds
    blood gravitates to your legs when lying down and when you get up, your body adjusts
    get up too fast and blood rushes to your head - causing lightheadedness
    its probably just affecting your more because of the extra training you've been doing
    and the need for more oxygen to your muscles
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Good question to ask your Doctor. It could be a number of things some serious some not, but I would not take it lightly.