BODYBUILDING Community!

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    memo1974 wrote: »
    Week 2: not great, lost one pound. Last week was 198, now 197. I know it may be just water, but it should be 1 pound heavier not lighter!
    Well, calories are going up this week by 200, 2700 is the goal.
    Also, working on cleaning my diet as much as possible. Gotta get those chicken and rice meals in!

Eating "clean" means significantly more food volume. On a bulk is when you should be relaxing a bit and enjoying greater flexibility. If your macros and micros are met you can easily enjoy pizza or ice cream to fill in the rest.
  • memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Week 2: not great, lost one pound. Last week was 198, now 197. I know it may be just water, but it should be 1 pound heavier not lighter!
    Well, calories are going up this week by 200, 2700 is the goal.
    Also, working on cleaning my diet as much as possible. Gotta get those chicken and rice meals in!

Eating "clean" means significantly more food volume. On a bulk is when you should be relaxing a bit and enjoying greater flexibility. If your macros and micros are met you can easily enjoy pizza or ice cream to fill in the rest.

You are totally right, but I'd been a little too loose with my diet, (pizza, fried chicken, etc.) I want to eat the calories needed, but I want to apply the 80/20 rule, 80% from clean good sources, 20% everything else.
  • memo1974
    Options
    Week 3 and going strong. The recap so far:
    Week 1: 196 lbs.
    Week 2: 198 lbs.
    Week 3: 199 lbs.

2800 calories for week 4. Plus change in routine after 4 weeks. I was working out Monday , Wednesday, Friday. Changing to Monday thru Friday, that way I can work more volume per muscle group.

The optimist goal is 210 in 12 weeks. The pessimist goal is 205 in 12 weeks.

Cheers.
  • zatotheck
    zatotheck Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Whats up guys!
    I'm taking in 2800 calories per day. I don't have a goal to gain or lose weight but I wanted to take the next step in my 'fitness journey' so to speak and that is paying attention to macro nutrient ratios. Right now I am aiming for 40%p/40%c/20%f. While trying to adhere to these ratios its pretty much impossible to eat non nutritional food. Meaning to say that if I have pizza with 35g of fat and little protein I am going to have to spend the rest of the day figuring out how I am going to get in 200+ grams of protein while only having 25g of fat remaining.

I am only about a week in to this diet and so far I feel great. I had a squat workout yesterday which went perfect. Only hangup is that I need to space my meals out more evenly. At the beginning of the day I am eating here and there and that at night I end up cramming all these calories down to hit my goals.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Started my bulk back up at the beginning of November after running keto during the summer. Taking it slow with putting weight back on my strength and size is returning pretty quickly.
  • tjackson0588
    tjackson0588 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    jkuckian wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm a body builder, add me as a friend if you're trying to gain weight and we can be friends on here! I'm currently at 3,500-4,000kcal a day, 55%Carbs, 25%Protein, 20%Fats and making very good progress :-)

Join the community and we can make this journey a lot more fun!

5'6 160 new to this eating so much 3000 to 3500 cal a day any suggestions on what to eat that helps so don't have to eat so much

• Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    5'6 160 new to this eating so much 3000 to 3500 cal a day any suggestions on what to eat that helps so don't have to eat so much

Nuts, a few handfuls can get you around 400 calories. Cooking with oils or getting them in your foods will add some as well. Drink coffee? Drop a tablespoon of coconut oil in it in the morning. Won't taste it but i'll add some easy calories.

• seanm55
    seanm55 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Started training June 2013 weighed in at 168, I'm now 210 lbs training 5 days a week, goal is 235, eating about 3000-3600 calls a day 40,40,20 splits for macros, goal has been to gain half pound to a pound of muscle tissue a month.
  • tjackson0588
    tjackson0588 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back I haven't seen much gain but my buddy told me to switch up my work outs every 6 weeks to do different world out exercises is this true or am I just at a Plato
  • memo1974
    Options
    Week 3 and going strong. The recap so far:
    Week 1: 196 lbs.
    Week 2: 198 lbs.
    Week 3: 199 lbs.

2800 calories for week 4. Plus change in routine after 4 weeks. I was working out Monday , Wednesday, Friday. Changing to Monday thru Friday, that way I can work more volume per muscle group.

The optimist goal is 210 in 12 weeks. The pessimist goal is 205 in 12 weeks.

Cheers.

Well, week 4 is gone, and I am back to 198. I was a little under the weather this week, so no gainz.
    Lets try this again in week 5.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Been running DUP and working on bringing kcals up for a slow but steady bulk (aiming for ~.5-.75 lb gain/week).

Week 1: 174.5
    Week 2: (got sick end of wk 1) 174.2
    Week 3: ...we'll find out after I run averages.

So far avg kcals are around 2700-2800. I'm beginning to think I'll need at least 2800-2850 to see slow and steady weight gains. Gotta love the assessment stage of a lean bulk.
  • Exerorg
    Exerorg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get into bodybuilding. I'm currently 5'3 and 130 lbs. The past few months I've been lifting 2 hours with 30 minutes of cardio a day. I've been eating roughly 2500-3000 calories and haven't gained any weight. Any tips?
  • memo1974
    Options
    Exerorg wrote: »
    I'd like to get into bodybuilding. I'm currently 5'3 and 130 lbs. The past few months I've been lifting 2 hours with 30 minutes of cardio a day. I've been eating roughly 2500-3000 calories and haven't gained any weight. Any tips?

Lol, I wonder why?
    If you are seriously asking this question, I think you need to go back and learn how building muscle works. Hint: it's not by working out 2 and a half hours a day
  • Exerorg
    Exerorg Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Lol, I wonder why?
    If you are seriously asking this question, I think you need to go back and learn how building muscle works. Hint: it's not by working out 2 and a half hours a day

Like I said, I'd like to get into bodybuilding. What I've been doing now is just keeping in shape and increasing muscle strength.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Running my first bulk and getting into more body building. While I was losing I mostly stuck to compound lifts/powerlifting.

I'm about 8 weeks in since I started reversing and 6 weeks in a true surplus. I retain so much water, my weight is literally everywhere. Looks like I'm gaining about .5 lbs per week though.

The sad part about this bulk is that I'm gaining on 2000-2100. It honestly feels like I'm cutting still because I'm so hungry from lifting. I know I could add some cardio to eat a bit more but I hate it.

What do you think, will I eventually be able to add more calories after gaining a few more pounds? After I cut, is it possible I'll have a higher TDEE than I do now?
  • monrbrown730
    monrbrown730 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to compete in my first bikini competition. I have never tried to build muscle before! looking forward to see how much my body changed in the next few months!
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Eat more food, spend less time in the gym. Enjoy the gains.
  • txchipk
    txchipk Posts: 9 Member
    Options

You don't need 30 minutes of cardio each day if underweight and trying to gain. It is being counterproductive at this point. You likely also need to increase the intensity of lifting...you should be tired after an hour. If you are lifting for 2 hours, you are either lifting too light or taking really long rest breaks. You should be able to hit 18-22 sets (not counting warm ups) using weights heavy enough to stay in the 8-12 rep range in an hour and that should be sufficient.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

Eat more food, spend less time in the gym. Enjoy the gains.

This. Also, pick a good program. Stronglifts and Starting Strength are great for beginners. Say goodbye to your abs while you do them, because you need to eat to grow.

A ridiculously dedicated non-pro (which is to say, "non steroid user") is unlikely to spend more than 1.5 hours in the gym, and the average is probably around an hour. A good program will save you a TON of gym time and maximize your gainz.

The Bodybuilding.com forums are going to have much better info than this one. Just avoid the teen section and listen to people who have actually accomplished something.
  • AliMalek21
    AliMalek21 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    jkuckian wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm a body builder, add me as a friend if you're trying to gain weight and we can be friends on here! I'm currently at 3,500-4,000kcal a day, 55%Carbs, 25%Protein, 20%Fats and making very good progress :-)

Join the community and we can make this journey a lot more fun!

its not about the calories , its about what nutrition ur consuming and the amount