Sodium intake vs. Potassium intake?

Options
MelaniaTrump
MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
edited December 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Is there a calculator out there? I have read (I think) that the less sodium you ingest, the less your body needs potassium. I eat very little potassium (I google every food, not just look at this database).
I eat 1,600 a day of sodium (diary open). More lately with the holidays and the drama. So I am hoping that 2,500 potassium a day will be enough of a goal to set.
Calculator of sodium intake vs. potassium required intake? Or is there a calculator on gender or height or percent of calories? I'm 5'3 and calories set at 1330.
I could not eat the recommended 4,300 a day if my life depended on it. Feel free to look at diary. I know protein powder contains about 40 mg potassium, but I don't bother putting that in

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I think the RDA is 3500.
    You can't go by what is in the MFP database because food labels aren't required to list it. If you eat green leafy veggies, spinach, kale etc, you are probably getting close to what you need. Have a bananna to increase even further.
    My protein powder contains 129 mg of potassium.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    There's potassium in just about everything. Even water. I used to be a heavy coffee drinker and I got half my daily value of potassium from coffee alone. My guess is that you're consuming more potassium then you think. Unless you're having symptoms of low potassium, don't worry about it.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited December 2015
    Options
    For gooness sakes, coffee does have potassium. Who knew? But is it from the tap water? Or from coffee itself? I have a Brita water pitcher filter. I wonder if green tea also has potassium.... never thought about all this.
    ..... Yes, green tea, black tea, coffee, all have potassium. Yipee.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Potassium isn't required to be listed on food labels in the US so most foods in the database don't have potassium.

Potassium is hard to track since it's in everything. If you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables you probably get the RDA of potassium.

I used to track my sodium and potassium because of a kidney condition I have. Potatoes, tomatoes and avocados are some of the foods highest in potassium....but most fruits and vegetables are good sources.

Also yes coffee...coffee contains a decent amount of potassium.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you're using Brita or something similar to filter your water or a water softener, you're actually ADDING potassium to it. It's used to remove sulfur from water (potassium permanganate).
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to watch them closely? I know there are a few people who have to, but for the most part our bodies maintain the balance without monitoring.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm done watching it after reading these answers... You guys are awesome. Brita filter adds it? Wow. Only 1:1 ratio as a mininum? Tracking just to know. To learn. To live a life of optimum health.