Losing Fat?

Options
Good morning good morning! I hear a lot about focusing on losing fat as well as losing weight in general- my question is how do I get my focus on that? Is it cardio related- reaching that target heart rate? Or strength training? Still new at this weight loss thing so any advice is much appreciated!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns fat, weight training builds muscle.
  • arschweiss
    Options
    Muscle burns fat so you want to do both cardio and weight training.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Combine the 2. If you do only cardio you will burn muscle along with the fat. You need the strength training to limit the amount of muscle you do lose, as you lose the weight. But most importantly diet, losing weight is 80% diet, so make sure you are feeding yourself properly in order to lose fat and retain muscle. This is done by adding more protein and setting a weight loss goal that is reasonable for your goal, and current stats. If you have over 20 lbs to lose 1 lb/week loss is ideal, if 15 lbs or less to go, your weekly loss goal should be 0.5lbs/week.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You want to do both. Doing strength training will help you retain your muscle as you lose weight, and increase your metabolism. Not to mention help with the lose skin a bit. I'd recommend checking your body comp, setting a goal that way, and reevaluating every so often to see where you're at.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • MeganJo
    MeganJo Posts: 69
    Options
    This video will explain the dynamic of doing both for you =]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZTQH0N2bcQ&feature=channel_video_title