Question for those who meal prep and carry food around

Options
How do you heat up the food? Like if everyone wants to go to Wendy's and I have my lunch already packed with me.. do I have to eat it cold?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I would think most restaurants would frown on you bringing your own food in to their place of business.

If you don't want Wendy's - either stay at the office and eat what you brought, or go along and enjoy the camaraderie and eat before/after.
  • karwowski1992
    karwowski1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would think most restaurants would frown on you bringing your own food in to their place of business.

If you don't want Wendy's - either stay at the office and eat what you brought, or go along and enjoy the camaraderie and eat before/after.

Right. I don't think I'll ever ask a restaurant to heat up food that I brought in since I've worked in a restaurant before and don't want to be 'that person' but I would like to know how people who meal prep do it. They have all their meals ready for the day and I just think it would be such a great help to stay on track.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

This.

If you're going to be away from a microwave or other heating device, get a thermos. But I wouldn't take my packed lunch into a restaurant with me.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    Serious?
  • karwowski1992
    Options
    Serious?

Nope. Just feel like wasting time asking random questions I'm not serious about.
  • karwowski1992
    Options
    Do you go out to eat with your co-workers every day? I would find that difficult. My job staggers the shifts and breaks so that we never get to have lunch at the same time. I'm always eating in the break room with workers from other departments.

ETA - if it's just a once a week type thing, I'd just plan to have Wendy's and work it into my day.

Nah. I always eat my lunch at work. It's mostly on weekends when I'm never home but don't feel like eating Wendy's 3-4 times a day.
  • txchipk
    txchipk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How do you heat up the food? Like if everyone wants to go to Wendy's and I have my lunch already packed with me.. do I have to eat it cold?

I eat what I brought right before going out to lunch with my co-workers. I just order some ice tea or Coke Zero and enjoy the company.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Do you go out to eat with your co-workers every day? I would find that difficult. My job staggers the shifts and breaks so that we never get to have lunch at the same time. I'm always eating in the break room with workers from other departments.

ETA - if it's just a once a week type thing, I'd just plan to have Wendy's and work it into my day.

Nah. I always eat my lunch at work. It's mostly on weekends when I'm never home but don't feel like eating Wendy's 3-4 times a day.

I guess I'm confused. If you're out and about with friends, I'd do one meal a day out with them if it's something you're planning.

If you're just out shopping all day, look at either having some lunch bags that can keep food warm, or focus on foods that you can eat cold or room temp. I'm strange, and I don't mind eating all sorts of things cold as long as they aren't straight out of the fridge and very cold (stir fry, roasted vegetables, etc). But there's tons of things like jerky, nuts, cut raw vegetables, hummus, pretzels, etc that can be eaten cool or room temp.

ETA: And I third (or fourth) that I'd never take my own food into another restaurant.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Yes.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Preparing your meal
    Foil is about to become your new best friend. Grab a sheet of foil large enough to comfortably cover the food/ingredients. You don't want to be cheap on foil here, more is better. Wrap the foil around, creating a package, and crimp the foil tightly. You want a seal all around the food. And then do it again. And then again. Triple-wrapping in foil is the only way to ensure a tight, sealed, safe package.

Cruise-Control Pork Tenderloin - Cooking distance: 250 miles
    I like this one because it's soft and tender, and is a great treat for the end of a long journey

Ingredients:
    1 large pork tenderloin, butterflied
    3 tbsp Dijon mustard
    2 tbsp dry white wine
    1/2 cup red onion, minced
    2 tsp rosemary (fresh), crushed
    Salt & pepperer all of the ingredients (except the pork) and spread across the inside of the pork tenderloin. Close up the pork, triple-wrap in foil and place on a medium-hot part of the engine. Turn once (125 miles) during cooking.

Any-city Chicken Wings (sweet) - Cooking distance: 140-200 miles
    Is there a better snack food than buffalo chicken wings? I can't think of one, personally. So imagine my delight when I discovered a car-engine recipe. Feel free to swap out ingredients according to how hot/spicy/tangy you like your wings. This is my take on the recipe (the optional ingredients).

Ingredients:
    18 chicken wings
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 tbsp molasses (optional)
    1 cup red wine vinegar
    1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
    4-6 minced jalapenos
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp honey (optional)
    1 tbsp oregano
    1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
    Pinch of salt
    Fresh black pepper (optional)
    Splash of Tabasco Chipotle sauce (optional)
    Splash of Worcestershire sauce (optional)

Blend together all of the ingredients (except wings) and pour over chicken wings. Cover tightly in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Drain wings (save the marinade) and divide into three foil packages. Brush with marinade, then triple-wrap each package tightly and place on medium-hot part of the engine. I like my chicken well done so I do the 200 miles, or around 3 1/2 hours.

Good & simple Cajun Shrimp/Crayfish - Cooking distance: 35 miles
    I love shrimp, and this is a quick journey. For most, it's an average morning's commute. What a way to start the day...Cajun Shrimp for breakfast.

Ingredients:
    1 pound large shrimp or crayfish tails, in shells.
    6 small green hot peppers
    2 cloves garlic
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    Butter or spread
    Salt & pepper

Remove seeds from peppers (ouch, they are hot) and mince with the onion and garlic. Butter your foil, add the shrimp and cover with your spicy mixture. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper, then triple-wrap and place in a medium part of the engine. Delicious, seasoned, spicy shrimp or crayfish await.

Eggs On Cheese Pie - Cooking distance: 55 miles
    Another good breakfast food, or anytime food. Legend has it that the recipe (minus the cooking method) originated in medieval monasteries. A holy treat.

Ingredients:
    Breadcrumbs (Italian or fresh homemade)
    1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, cubed
    6 eggs (free range folks....be good)
    Diced Canadian bacon (optional)
    6 empty tuna-fish cans for cooking
    Pinch of cayenne and paprika (optional)
    Butter or spread.
    Salt & pepper.

Wash 6 empty tuna cans and butter the insides. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of breadcrumbs into each can and shake to cover the base evenly. Dump out excess. Now cover with mozzarella (and bacon if desired) then crack an egg on top of each, add seasonings and spices on top, then cover with mozzarella. Wrap cans tightly in foil, place on a hot part of the engine with good contact for the base of each can, and after 55 miles they should be good. If not, keep driving till the cheese has melted.

Pat's Provolone Porsche Potatoes - Cooking distance: 55 miles
    Good for vegetarians and a great side dish, this is simple, tasty car engine cooking.

Ingredients:
    1/2 pound new potatoes
    1 cup milk
    1 cup water
    2 ounces grated aged provolone (or my favorite, aged cheddar)
    Butter
    Salt & pepper

Peel and slice potatoes to 1.4 inch thick. Place in a saucepan with the milk and water and simmer 10 mins. Drain, then spread onto heavily buttered foil. Sprinkle with your cheese (or cheeses, experiment with flavors) and seasonings. Sprinkle with butter, triple-wrap and place around medium-hot parts of the engine. Delicious.

And finally, practice makes perfect.
    You aren't going to get all of this right first time. Experiment with different ingredients, different parts of the engine and different cooking time.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Preparing your meal
    Foil is about to become your new best friend. Grab a sheet of foil large enough to comfortably cover the food/ingredients. You don't want to be cheap on foil here, more is better. Wrap the foil around, creating a package, and crimp the foil tightly. You want a seal all around the food. And then do it again. And then again. Triple-wrapping in foil is the only way to ensure a tight, sealed, safe package.

I like this one because it's soft and tender, and is a great treat for the end of a long journey

Ingredients:
    3 tbsp Dijon mustard
    2 tbsp dry white wine
    Salt & pepperer all of the ingredients (except the pork) and spread across the inside of the pork tenderloin. Close up the pork, triple-wrap in foil and place on a medium-hot part of the engine. Turn once (125 miles) during cooking.

Is there a better snack food than buffalo chicken wings? I can't think of one, personally. So imagine my delight when I discovered a car-engine recipe. Feel free to swap out ingredients according to how hot/spicy/tangy you like your wings. This is my take on the recipe (the optional ingredients).

Ingredients:
    18 chicken wings
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 cup red wine vinegar
    4-6 minced jalapenos
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp honey (optional)
    1 tbsp oregano
    Pinch of salt

Blend together all of the ingredients (except wings) and pour over chicken wings. Cover tightly in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Drain wings (save the marinade) and divide into three foil packages. Brush with marinade, then triple-wrap each package tightly and place on medium-hot part of the engine. I like my chicken well done so I do the 200 miles, or around 3 1/2 hours.

I love shrimp, and this is a quick journey. For most, it's an average morning's commute. What a way to start the day...Cajun Shrimp for breakfast.

Ingredients:
    2 cloves garlic
    Butter or spread
    Salt & pepper

Remove seeds from peppers (ouch, they are hot) and mince with the onion and garlic. Butter your foil, add the shrimp and cover with your spicy mixture. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper, then triple-wrap and place in a medium part of the engine. Delicious, seasoned, spicy shrimp or crayfish await.

Another good breakfast food, or anytime food. Legend has it that the recipe (minus the cooking method) originated in medieval monasteries. A holy treat.

Ingredients:
    Butter or spread.
    Salt & pepper.

Wash 6 empty tuna cans and butter the insides. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of breadcrumbs into each can and shake to cover the base evenly. Dump out excess. Now cover with mozzarella (and bacon if desired) then crack an egg on top of each, add seasonings and spices on top, then cover with mozzarella. Wrap cans tightly in foil, place on a hot part of the engine with good contact for the base of each can, and after 55 miles they should be good. If not, keep driving till the cheese has melted.

Good for vegetarians and a great side dish, this is simple, tasty car engine cooking.

Ingredients:
    1/2 pound new potatoes
    1 cup milk
    1 cup water
    Butter
    Salt & pepper

Peel and slice potatoes to 1.4 inch thick. Place in a saucepan with the milk and water and simmer 10 mins. Drain, then spread onto heavily buttered foil. Sprinkle with your cheese (or cheeses, experiment with flavors) and seasonings. Sprinkle with butter, triple-wrap and place around medium-hot parts of the engine. Delicious.

You aren't going to get all of this right first time. Experiment with different ingredients, different parts of the engine and different cooking time.

Not that I've ever tried this, but I feel like this could go wrong really fast...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Preparing your meal

Ingredients:
    3 tbsp Dijon mustard
    2 tbsp dry white wine

Ingredients:
    18 chicken wings
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 cup red wine vinegar
    4-6 minced jalapenos
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp honey (optional)
    1 tbsp oregano
    Pinch of salt

Ingredients:
    2 cloves garlic
    Butter or spread
    Salt & pepper

Ingredients:
    Butter or spread.
    Salt & pepper.

Ingredients:
    1/2 pound new potatoes
    1 cup milk
    1 cup water
    Butter
    Salt & pepper

468394fc32d72c2bdc04abd04834782a2de7fee5834b5df2fa3b9295262db4cb.jpg
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    If it's just the weekends, then I'd simplify things and bring things that don't need to be heated up or kept warm. Weather permitting, could you maybe have the others pick up their fast food and then meet at a park or somewhere to eat together? I'm not completely sure I have the situation accurate though, so I could be wrong.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Serious?

Nope. Just feel like wasting time asking random questions I'm not serious about.

Smartypants makes me giggle
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Serious?

Smartypants makes me giggle

Ugh, the rest of my post was cut off. I would bring stuff that is suitable to be eaten cold. Cut up veggies, salads. I like bringing a wrap to put the salad in. Very filling. I just keep things separate so it doesn't get mushy.
  • LBL1986
    LBL1986 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have minimal will power LOL so I actually only meal prep for the work week. I have my breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks planned out and try to stick to those.

Now when the weekend comes around and I know I'll be eating out with people I research the place in advance. Even the most unhealthy fast food restaurant has items on their menu that allow you to get your macros in and stay within your calorie goal for the day.
  • rhianna818
    rhianna818 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot of my time on weekends running errands so I understand what you are saying. I will try to eat before I go, and then I pack bottled water and snacks to eat while running around. If I must stop somewhere to eat, I check the calories before I even order, usually while I am in the parking lot. So for example Wendy's, I can have a grilled chicken wrap and small chili for less than 500 calories. Chipotle I can get for 590.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Do you not have a microwave where you work? I used to travel 500+ miles a week in my car for work and had no access to a fridge/microwave/etc. I packed my lunch with an ice block and would stop at a gas station or Meijer store cafe and use the microwave there.
  • karwowski1992
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    If it's just the weekends, then I'd simplify things and bring things that don't need to be heated up or kept warm. Weather permitting, could you maybe have the others pick up their fast food and then meet at a park or somewhere to eat together? I'm not completely sure I have the situation accurate though, so I could be wrong.

Going out with friends was just an example. It's mostly me running errands and being so hungry that I just cave and get food I should be eating (or I can eat... but not multiple times a day). There are many tips you guys have given that I'm definitely using though. Some I can't believe I haven't thought of already.
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use a food thermos and do take my food with me/ where I live restaurants are very accommodating espcially that the group as a whole is spending money there- so I've never had problem taking my fruit /food along etc. Food thermos keeps food hot for hours/ I take noodles, soups or whatever I fancy. Don't feel pressured into eating what you don't want- have a drink from them and enjoy your own healthy choices :)