Combatting Holiday Cravings??

Options
I've done so well sticking to my diet since the summer, and now that the holidays are here my self control is going out the window. I rarely have sweets at my own house, but now that I'm staying with my family, the temptation is there. This weekend alone I had 2 packages of Reese's cups and so much fudge. But it's like when I start eating it I just can't stop! How do I control the cravings?

So far I've tried freezing goodies my family makes, and drinking lots and lots of tea.

Replies

• ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Are you banning these items for most of the time, and then deciding it's time to break the rules?

If so, you need to hop out of that mindset, you can allow yourself treats that fit in with calorie goal. If you don't restrict them so much you may feel a decreased need to keep eating them past satiety.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    Are you banning these items for most of the time, and then deciding it's time to break the rules?

If so, you need to hop out of that mindset, you can allow yourself treats that fit in with calorie goal. If you don't restrict them so much you may feel a decreased need to keep eating them past satiety.

This is my experience as well. When my sister bought me a box of chocolates last January, I ate it all in 2 days. Since then I've bought a lot of chocolate and it's always in the house and I've learned to have one square at a time... because it's not going anywhere and I can buy more if I want.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    You're doing gr8 if you've been doing well since summer :) that's when I started messing up. Don't feel bad, just consider the other advice.
  • jrc5423
    jrc5423 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »

That's good advice. I do eat treats fairly often. I definitely don't deprive myself. Maybe it's the fact that they are far more abundant at my family's house and I get the pressure to partake in the feasting and one bite wont ruin my diet comments. So maybe it's the people I need to deal with and not so much the food idk.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned about the treats as well - I do permit myself to have something I like every day (usually it's nuts), but my concern now is how in the world to log all sorts of stuff that I don't normally eat and isn't in the database - even food at meals - what DID my daughter put into the sweet potatoes besides the vegetable itself? How assess calories? I'm going to try to eat mostly familiar foods whose calorie measure I know better, but it's threatening to think about eating other stuff - eg., she made ginger cashew cookies, which sounds great - now I need to go online and do all sorts of sleuthing until I can pin down their calorie count so I can have one. Does serve as a bit of a deterrent for indulging TOO much but also a nuisance since I WILL be away from home and subject to what she serves as well as put in the way of far more temptation.