Any Vegan or vegetarians?

Options
2»

Replies

• Merope92
    Merope92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same here :)

I used to be a vegetarian (for 2 years) - now from time to time I banned nearly all products of animal origin and now learning to get fit and lose weight with a vegan lifestyle <3
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Wait... So as vegans you can eat more calories?

How does that gel with "a calorie is a calorie?"
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm a yoghurt eating vegan -- vegenarian for short ;)
    Going on 40 years, and I still have nails and hair.
  • ericGold15
    Options
    Wait... So as vegans you can eat more calories?

How does that gel with "as calorie is a calorie?"
    NO ...
    A vegan calorie is equal to a non-vegan calorie.

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    so glad to see more vegans! its the best way to eat hands down! so much fun in the kitchen making raw desserts that are actually beneficial and also eating way more calories per day and keeping weight off is too good to be true, just shows whats meant for a human body :) if you put a baby in a cot with a bunny or an apple, and the baby eats the bunny and plays with the apple, then ill believe you if you say humans are meat eaters

Hmmm... I predict bunny eats apple; baby attempts to eat bunny's poop.
  • JanuaryBlueJay
    JanuaryBlueJay Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Vegan here :) Feel free to add me! I'd love to share and discuss recipes
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    so glad to see more vegans! its the best way to eat hands down! so much fun in the kitchen making raw desserts that are actually beneficial and also eating way more calories per day and keeping weight off is too good to be true, just shows whats meant for a human body :) if you put a baby in a cot with a bunny or an apple, and the baby eats the bunny and plays with the apple, then ill believe you if you say humans are meat eaters

And these are for what exactly?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtXFwZEeUMIfxjeZwiHnCdIVoClISt1KnngClWjV3lpc58d2rG

Nothing wrong with being a vegan and taking that moral stance...but there's no need for utter nonsense.

To that end, I do honestly wonder how many people claiming to be vegan are actually vegan rather than perhaps strict dietary vegetarian. I almost always see diet in these discussions and veganism goes well beyond diet...it is my understanding that vegans do not consume, nor do they use animal products of any kind in their day to day lives...no leather handbags, no leather shoes, no fir, etc...I'm actually curious about wool though...animal doesn't have to die to get its wool...but maybe sheep aren't treated that great on wool farms...no idea, but actually curious about that one.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ...To that end, I do honestly wonder how many people claiming to be vegan are actually vegan rather than perhaps strict dietary vegetarian. I almost always see diet in these discussions and veganism goes well beyond diet...it is my understanding that vegans do not consume, nor do they use animal products of any kind in their day to day lives...no leather handbags, no leather shoes, no fir, etc...I'm actually curious about wool though...animal doesn't have to die to get its wool...but maybe sheep aren't treated that great on wool farms...no idea, but actually curious about that one.

I'm an omnivore but absorbed a lot of info about ethical veganism while living in vegetarian communities for three years. There's more about harvesting wool in the link.

Vegan Clothing Explained

...The thing to understand about veganism, as a philosophy, is that it starts with the precept that we, as humans, do not have any right to "use" animals for anything. That our use of animals, who have no choice in the matter, is a form of exploitation. And that we should avoid, to the extent it is possible, all forms of that exploitation.

It's helpful to realize that when vegans have that philosophy as a starting point, the extent of the harm to the living creature is simply moot. Vegans do not want to participate in what they consider to be exploitation, just as many other people don't want to buy clothing made with sweat-shop labor....

Read more http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-fashion/vegan-clothing-explained.html#14503916475081&action=collapse_widget&id=0&data=
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ...To that end, I do honestly wonder how many people claiming to be vegan are actually vegan rather than perhaps strict dietary vegetarian. I almost always see diet in these discussions and veganism goes well beyond diet...it is my understanding that vegans do not consume, nor do they use animal products of any kind in their day to day lives...no leather handbags, no leather shoes, no fir, etc...I'm actually curious about wool though...animal doesn't have to die to get its wool...but maybe sheep aren't treated that great on wool farms...no idea, but actually curious about that one.

I'm an omnivore but absorbed a lot of info about ethical veganism while living in vegetarian communities for three years. There's more about harvesting wool in the link.

Vegan Clothing Explained

...The thing to understand about veganism, as a philosophy, is that it starts with the precept that we, as humans, do not have any right to "use" animals for anything. That our use of animals, who have no choice in the matter, is a form of exploitation. And that we should avoid, to the extent it is possible, all forms of that exploitation.

It's helpful to realize that when vegans have that philosophy as a starting point, the extent of the harm to the living creature is simply moot. Vegans do not want to participate in what they consider to be exploitation, just as many other people don't want to buy clothing made with sweat-shop labor....

Read more http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-fashion/vegan-clothing-explained.html#14503916475081&action=collapse_widget&id=0&data=

Interesting...pretty much what I thought. I figured wool would be a no-no.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My diet is vegan or plant based. I don't eat dairy, eggs, animal products. I was vegetarian in the past. My diet went vegan because of a medical injury that has caused me to have a severe histamine intolerance and animal products are too high in histamine for me personally. I try to lean towards vegan in my other choices. But, no I am not strict.
  • Tylre4815
    Tylre4815 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am currently a pescetarian (which means I eat seafood but no land animals). Eating two separate fish fillets today really had me on the edge of wondering if I even want to eat seafood anymore. I might go full vegetation soon. Anyone please feel free to add me. ~Tylré
  • Monketo2002
    Monketo2002 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm transitioning into veganism but am 100% vegetarian rn & about 80-90% vegan aim towards at least 99.9% Vegan
  • Pretty2Petite
    Pretty2Petite Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian trying to go vegan. Feel free to add me :)
  • ericGold15
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I agree that veganism is an ethical stance, but like all ethics there is always a range and interpretation. You might as well say there is only one kind of Christian. Moreover, from my experience we are all hypocrites. Just not to the same degree.

So I speak for myself. I know that people who call themselves 'Vegan' will be closer to me in ethics that e.g a not otherwise specified 'Christian,' but that still leaves a lot of room for differences. In general I value and respect life, and I do not view one life as having more intrinsic value than another. Given a choice (and other than my time as a soldier in war I have not had to choose my life over another,) I choose to live and let live; to prosper and let prosper.

I consider another's death for my pleasure anti-ethical. That is probably a common denominator amongst Vegans. I say 'in general' because I can be harsh for example towards mosquitoes and flies. If they come into my home and do not take the hint when I open the window or door for them they are on my radar for elimination.
  • pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Vegan!!!!!
    All about ethics for me - no leather, fur, etc. What can I say, I love animals :)
  • ericGold15
    Options
    I am currently a pescetarian (which means I eat seafood but no land animals). Eating two separate fish fillets today really had me on the edge of wondering if I even want to eat seafood anymore.
    I stopped viewing animals as food right about 40 years ago. I used to scuba drive, and one weekend I brought home an abalone for family and a lobster for my girlfriend's Japanese Mom. After I watched the abalone writhe in it's shell as it was being scooped out, and heard that lobsters were boiled alive I never hunted animals again.

I call seaweed seafood. Arbitrary of me, I call zooplankton seafood too. Fish I call fish.
  • Pretty2Petite
    Pretty2Petite Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm transitioning into veganism but am 100% vegetarian rn & about 80-90% vegan aim towards at least 99.9% Vegan

Me too