Kenpo Karate?? Long term goal of Black Belt!

Options
Hi Everyone!

Looking for some others who do Karate on their weight loss journey. I just started Kenpo 2 months ago and I'm 52 years old. I'll test for my Yellow belt in about a month. I've wanted to give up several times, cause of my medical limitations and weight gain. But with prayer and persistence I will hopefully reach a long term goal of Black belt! It's on my Bucket List! Blessings 2 All!

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey!
  • alliex
    alliex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't do Karate for weight loss but I am a red/black belt in Taekwondo so almost a black belt. i've been doing it for almost 5 years. I hope to take my black belt grading in October 2016.
  • fitnforward
    fitnforward Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your belts! I'm not really doing it for weight loss it was more of a different challenge for me. I love it! I'm starting to add some kickboxing and I want to add weight lifting. I'm at 185 goal of 120 at 5'4". One step at a time. :)
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Congrats on your journey, best wishes for your testing. I started Krav Maga, still at white belt. I am taking it to learn new skills & further develop myself for general health & fitness reasons. There's a quote posted on one of the walls "a black belt is a consistent white belt". Just be consistent in what you're doing & everything else will fall in place.
  • MCR_Jay
    MCR_Jay Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I took up Shotokan karate two years ago after a seven year break. It helped me drop the last 20 of my ~60lb loss. It's hard, I cant remember the last day I didn't wake up in some sort of pain, but stick with it - it's worth it when you get that new strap around your waist.

Hopefully I'll grade for the second black belt of my career late next year.

Good luck. Keep it up.
  • zsafavian
    zsafavian Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started Tae Kwon Do almost 5 months ago with the goal of reaching black belt in 3 years. I just reached gold stripe. My goal for 2016 is to be a brown belt by the end of the year. I'm also not doing it for weight loss, but mostly for a long-term challenge. So far I'm loving every minute of it.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Mma green belt here but my schools striking is kenpo. I don't train for weight loss but it doesn't hurt and the extra Iim doing in preparation for my grappling tournament is helping.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I used to do Kenpo years ago; made it to purple belt. I thought it was a great workout, and I don't like working out so that was a big deal for me... I liked how it made me think, not just move.