Within 4 pounds of goal. Should I up my calories?

Options
I started MFP back in November of last year and have lost 46.2 pounds, getting me within 3.8 pounds of my goal. My program right now has me at 1350 net calories and losing ~1 pound per week, but since I am so close, I was wondering if it would be best to switch to a .5 lb/week loss so that I start gradually getting used to more calories. I am planning on dropping a little under my goal so that I have a little "wiggle room" and maintain my weight around my goal weight even with fluctuation.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have about 7 lbs to go to my big goal of 140 and I've done exactly that. I've dropped my goal to 0.5 lbs a week and I get 1500 calories, which I aim to eat every day. I don't really eat back exercise calories at this point, but I've been getting lots of protein and I've been doing more strength training than cardio in the past few weeks. It seems to FINALLY be working after 6 months of the same weight. It's definitely better to have a smaller calorie difference when your BMI is in the 25-27 range.
  • Kristierlong
    Kristierlong Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I'm within 10 of my ultimate goal weight. Would love to hear responses as well.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes, actually when you are down to your last 15 or so you should change your goal to 0.5 lose/week. This helps ensure that what you are losing is fat, and not muscle. Having too large of a deficit when you don't have much to lose can cause your body to burn muscle, instead of fat, for fuel. Congrats on your progress.
  • missblackberry9630
    missblackberry9630 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You should go into your profile and ajust your settings, how much you weigh, how much you want to weigh and as the guy suggest, change weight loss goal to .5 lbs and it will adjust your calories for.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    BUMP- want to refer to this WHEN I get there- which will be a while- but I WILL get there by this fall.........:happy:
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I started MFP back in November of last year and have lost 46.2 pounds, getting me within 3.8 pounds of my goal.

BTW- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!! That is SO encouraging! Keep cheering us "newbies" on.........
  • Beachbride07
    Beachbride07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    SOO close! Stick to it girl... Thanks for the information for when I get there!
  • aksingingbreeze
    aksingingbreeze Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!! I changed my goal to .5 pounds per week! Though I won't be getting much "traditional" exercise in because I am moving from Houston to Denver and it is pretty crazy trying to get everything done in a really short amount of time! But, I am being REALLY active. :-p PackIng and cleaning keeps me moving!