Christmas dinners.

Options
What's everyone's plan for Christmas dinner? Are you planning to eat in moderation and stay within your calorie goal, or are you using it as a cheat day?
My problem is my gram. She cooks with a lot of butter. Lmao. A scoop of her mashed potatoes is probably 600 calories alone.
I'm just now really trimming down. My abs are coming through. Will one day of eating bad stuff ruin this?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    One day, no, as long as you get back on track the next day. I'm taking a diet break this week so I don't have to stress about how much I'm eating.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I am planning on eating a little of everything. I am going to be at my parent's house so breakfast and lunch will probably be pretty light. I might think twice about having seconds though. If I do eat more than I plan then I will just move on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Worst case is you lose 1 week of progress. I'm not worried about it because for me the menu won't be anything special this year, and I don't like the dessert that my husband wants to make (dessert is always my downfall, so fine by me!).
  • luvsubrooke
    luvsubrooke Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Worst case is you lose 1 week of progress. I'm not worried about it because for me the menu won't be anything special this year, and I don't like the dessert that my husband wants to make (dessert is always my downfall, so fine by me!).

I have a huge family, so it's literally every food and dessert you cold possibly ever think of. The dining room table alone is nearly 20 feet long! I'm not excited about it. Lol I'll just cut the calories for breakfast and lunch that day.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I actually had my xmas dinner early...I ate four cookies, fried noodles, papaya salad, turkey....One day won't hurt your way to the finish line. Stay motivated! :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I have a huge family, so it's literally every food and dessert you cold possibly ever think of. The dining room table alone is nearly 20 feet long! I'm not excited about it. Lol I'll just cut the calories for breakfast and lunch that day.

I dont understand why you would not be excited to share a meal with family and friends. Just eat the food that you like, enjoy the time with your family, and don't worry about your abs for a day. Trust me, one day of indulgence is not going to ruin your progress.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My Dad's side had Xmas dinner catered :/ Didn't stop my Granny from making some meats and desserts (7 layer bars, my favorite, I had like 4), and I made roasted butternut squash with tumeric and smoked paprika. I hate catered holiday dinners, it's so lame. I think that if I didn't have the 7 layer bars, I would have still been in a deficit that day haha! They are so good though :'( I have no idea what type of food my sis is having on Xmas Eve, but I was tasked to make my apparently amazing deviled eggs, which are high in calories. Man, as long as I don't gain, I'm cool with it, as I have a belated honeymoon in New Orleans January 8
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I agree with above. The worst that has happened to me is I have plateaued for a week. I use my Fitbit weekly average weight to cancel out data noise and when I did a restaurant laden road trip the week before thanksgiving + ate 4000 calories on thanksgiving day I posted a .10 of a pound increase week over week, and then went straight back to losing. I anticipate something similar here in the xmas/new year/driving-to-my-snow-cabin corridor... It really doesn't bother me as long as I don't gain a bunch of fat. I accept that there are 49 or 50 other terrific weeks for fitness gains.
  • scolaris
    Options
    @Kimegatron ... Oh honey! That's gonna be FUN... My favorite city!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eat up :) One day will not ruin you for the rest of your life.

I'm feeling kind of blah about Christmas when it comes to food. If I had a big dinner in the works I would be more excited about it.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    christmas eve - jan 1st im putting the calorie tracker away

just like i did last year :D
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    @scolaris , I went there in '98, so I'm stoked to see it as an adult, ha ha
  • scolaris
    Options
    Oh yes enjoy the many many many adult pleasures of NOLA
  • luvsubrooke
    luvsubrooke Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Eat up :) One day will not ruin you for the rest of your life.

I'm feeling kind of blah about Christmas when it comes to food. If I had a big dinner in the works I would be more excited about it.

There will be plenty of food here for you! Haha join and we will pig out together with no regrets :p

But no really, I'm excited to spend time with family, I just get nervous thinking about pigging out. Lol I think I'll go for moderation but still enjoy myself. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    I've just started a 2-week diet break, as of yesterday. :) Eating whatever I want for 2 whole weeks!

But also exercising lots.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm going to enjoy Christmas but not go crazy. Boxing Day I'm having my parents round so that will be another anything goes day then I'm really going for it. I've fallen off the wagon and now I'm motivated to refocus and change back to healthier habits
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What's everyone's plan for Christmas dinner? Are you planning to eat in moderation and stay within your calorie goal, or are you using it as a cheat day?
    My problem is my gram. She cooks with a lot of butter. Lmao. A scoop of her mashed potatoes is probably 600 calories alone.
    I'm just now really trimming down. My abs are coming through. Will one day of eating bad stuff ruin this?

First, I don't consider delicious food to be bad stuff...

Second, one day won't undo your progress. Even if you add up all the other "special" days in a year it's probably less than 10 events. It's your choices the other 355 days that count. Plus it's leap year, so you have 356 to make up for the 10 days of indulgence!

Third, see if you can get that recipe from your gram, they sound amazing!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

No. And it's not bad stuff. It's your gram's cooking, enjoy it and her company while you have her with you.

• kimbobbers26
    kimbobbers26 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am having smoked salmon,prawns and salad for a starter and turkey,ham and loads of veg for my dinner.Im skipping cheese and desserts but I will have a few proseccos(don't want to cut out all the naughty stuff)
    I think a little of what you fancy does you good :)
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm not feeling very well this week :(. I had intended to just let everything go this week and get back on the horse after the new year but I've felt too sick to eat properly, let alone eat all the holiday treats.

So at this point I don't know.