why did my allowed calories per day go up on here?

Options
So I started out with 1500 calories per day. And then after I had lost 5lbs it was increased to 1800 calories per day. I wasnt sure what thi is all about. I know exercise earns more calories and that is a great incentive. I know having a nice protein shake and an egg salad sandwhich really fills the hunger after a great workout. But why increased calories? Is this a glitch or maybe a mistake I made possibly in my settings?

Replies

• malovafarms
    malovafarms Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    mine went from 1500 to 1600.. but Im not complaining ! lol .. same weight loss goal for the week.. not sure .. whats your exercise settings at?
  • Skydancer35
    Skydancer35 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Um... I started out at 3 times a week to hit the gym. The only problem is Ive got a toddler and Im a SAHM so I dont get out often enough to get to the gym lol. So my solution was to use a pedometer and meet a Step goal daily for at least 5 days and I have my exercise set to 5 days a week now. Maybe that is what did it? I have lost 5lbs in the last month, I now weigh 165 lbs. So Im not sure...
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You changed your settings. I customize my setting all the time
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    MFP bases your calorie deficit off your stats, and exercise level. If you tell it you're going to increase your exercise from 3 times a week to 5 times a week, it rightly assumes you are going to burn more calories, so it gives them to you.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    MFP bases your calorie deficit off your stats, and exercise level. If you tell it you're going to increase your exercise from 3 times a week to 5 times a week, it rightly assumes you are going to burn more calories, so it gives them to you.

In the Goal setting area, if you update the number of times per week for your exercise goals, that has no effect on the Calorie goal. What will increase your Calorie goal is if you change your activity level, such as from Sedentary to Lightly Active, or Lightly Active to Active, or if you change your desired weekly rate of loss, such as from 2 pounds per week to 1.5 pounds per week.

​Please see this article, and search for other helpful articles, on the MFP Help pages...
    • We also ask you for your weekly exercise goals (which should not be included in your initial activity level), in order to provide an incentive for you to reach. However, we do not account for additional exercise outside of your reported daily activity level, until you actually perform and log exercise to your diary under the "Cardiovascular" section.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Simple - overestimation of calories burned.
  • Skydancer35
    Skydancer35 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies this really helps!
  • xmaplegunmanx
    xmaplegunmanx Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Skydancer, this is totally off topic, but I'm a SAHM with an 8 month old and at 170 pounds! I just think it's cool how we have some similarities, mind if I add you as a friend? :smile: