You've Come a Long Way, baby!

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
I make a Buche de Noel for Christmas dinner every year. This year I will make two, one extra for a party I am going to tonight. The base is a sponge cake where you have to beat the egg whites separately and fold them in to the thick part of the batter. Anyway, 2 years ago I couldn't even stir it. I had to take about two stirs with the spatula, rest, two more stirs, rest, etc. I had to sit down the whole time plus sit down when I made the filling, frosting, and put together the cake.

A week after that, I was in the hospital with severe anemia (no wonder I had no strength in my arms) and basically found out that my weight and diet were direct contributors to it (acid reflux causing tiny gastric bleeds which my diet couldn't replace). I also found out that I had just tipped over the line into T2Dm. I decided then and there I was going to get a handle on my health again.

Fast forward two years. This morning I had no problems mixing the cake batter. I am making the cake for a party with my hiking club after we do a 5 mile hike. I have lost 129 lb (22 more to go), I swim 1.5 miles 3 times a week, I walk 5-7 miles daily (and have walked up to 24 miles with the club in one day), my glucose has been at normal levels for over a year, my hemoglobin has been at normal levels for almost 2 years, and I am once again enjoying the things I love to do . . . including baking.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You are awesome!! <3
  • earlnabby
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You are awesome!! <3

Aww, thanks silly-icon_zpsmaoddlnt.png
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    and stirring some awesomeness into that cake too. wow....great story! Thanks for sharing! <3
  • forruths
    forruths Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic-well done!
  • magicsd
    magicsd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! Thank you for sharing!
  • mariannekehl
    mariannekehl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love it! Way to go!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!! Congrats. That's an awesome success story. :smile:

I used to make Buche de Noel every Christmas too but got lazy. It's a lot of work but quite yummy. I'll be over in an hour for mine, ok?
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Nice! Congrats!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Nice one
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    <3
  • earlnabby
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Fantastic!! Congrats. That's an awesome success story. :smile:

I used to make Buche de Noel every Christmas too but got lazy. It's a lot of work but quite yummy. I'll be over in an hour for mine, ok?

Compared to making any kind of cookies, Buche de Noel are not much work at all (no more than any kind of layer cake). I think it is because it isn't putzy unless you go a little crazy with the decorations. Some years I make marzipan mushrooms and other years I just stick some fake greenery and a bird ornament on it.

Here is this year's (all gone. It was a hit last night at the party):

b32db089-0538-4fba-a3d0-97890fd27ba5_zpsi62fonvh.jpg

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Niiiiice!

You've done a fantastic job and should be proud. Can you send me a yule log too? kthxbye
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Woohoo!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It's beautiful! I would always go a bit crazy with decorating. I should have thought of the fake stuff. Do you make your own frosting? That always seemed to slow it down too (and I would end up eating half of it while making it, too!).

But I didn't mean to distract the thread. Your hard work is just so impressive! To go from hardly being able to stir batter to walking and swimming all over the place is just amazing. My Santa hat is off to you.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    It's beautiful! I would always go a bit crazy with decorating. I should have thought of the fake stuff. Do you make your own frosting? That always seemed to slow it down too (and I would end up eating half of it while making it, too!).

But I didn't mean to distract the thread. Your hard work is just so impressive! To go from hardly being able to stir batter to walking and swimming all over the place is just amazing. My Santa hat is off to you.

Yes, I make my own frosting. Super easy. Just dump stuff in the bowl and beat the heck out of it with the mixer. I guess it helps that I have a stand mixer so I can do two things at once.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Stories like yours are my favorites. Losing weight is fabulous, but regaining health and functionality is just priceless.

You're awesome.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    This is such a wonderful story :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I love that story

It's all about taking responsibility and taking control and being totally awesome

And you are totally awesome ..holy cow 129lbs and look how fit you are
  • 4PinkLady9
    4PinkLady9 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is Awesome! Congratulations!!!! :)
  • Omoe11
    Omoe11 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Great story...congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!