Am I making a mistake eating baked potato for dinner?

Options

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Eat it. Simple. Count in your daily calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I never eat potatoes. Everyone here says they are low in calorie...I never thought so. Maybe I'll start baking a potato once in awhile. I think may just because I'm a volume eater I'd rather have a ton of veg and a good serving of meat over a potato but I really need to stop eating the same thing constantly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i eat potatoes twice per week on average...sometimes baked and sometimes roasted...and i like them in certain stews and soups...and since i make a lot of soups and stews this time of year, i probably have them more than twice per week...

IMO, they're a whole food...I don't shun whole foods.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I never eat potatoes. Everyone here says they are low in calorie...I never thought so. Maybe I'll start baking a potato once in awhile. I think may just because I'm a volume eater I'd rather have a ton of veg and a good serving of meat over a potato but I really need to stop eating the same thing constantly.

100 grams of baked potato is less than 100 calories. I get my volume from broccoli and eat half of a baked potato for dinner and have the other half with eggs the next morning. To reduce butter calories, I use cottage cheese or sour cream instead.

e88fb03622ae27b87872e51a6ee87349.png
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Just try a baked potato. They are very satiating. They're also pretty low in calorie for how satiating they are and they're really good with other things. You can still have a ton of other veggies.

Or maybe try twice baked potatoes? Scoop out the filling, mix it with cottage cheese for some protein and some steamed broccoli, put it back in the oven to heat through. If you have the calories, you could top that whole deal with some cheese and broil the top.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of my food from a local farm. At this time of year I'm overrun with potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash, and root veg. Luckily I'm happy eating all the the above. (I may need to freeze some squash soup, though.)
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Do they have these potatoes or equivalent in the US?
    http://www.carismapotatoes.com.au/
    They taste exactly the same as a regular potato, the only difference I notice in preparing them is they are not starchy. When you wash them the water runs clear instead of cloudy.
    250 gram serve is only 113 calories and very satisfying.
  • lovethepirk
    lovethepirk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Only you can answer that question...Eat a diverse set of vegetables and you are good to go. Eat beautifully colored foods to crank up those polyphenols.

If you are worried about the stigma of the starch, I wouldn't be too concerned unless you need/want to really dial in your blood glucose levels, then find a lower glycemic food or add butter/fat to the potato...also if you eat the potato with some meat that will help. Also, remember that the starches/complex carbs are not breaking down to sugar per say they are breaking down to glucose, which unlike eating sugar, has little fructose and can be used by the entire body.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It depends on your carbohydrate goals. My top border is 150 grams, and I rarely reach that high. Getting your carbs in a starchy whole vegetable is much healthier than getting them from white flour or added sugar.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes, all varieties. Top 'em with anything-chili....cheese...broccoli..spinach and feta...sky's the limit. Plus...potassium.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    A baked potato with beans, cheese and salad is a joyous thing.
    I ate a lot of baked potatoes when I was losing weight. I just weighed them and varied the fillings according to how many calories I had left for the day. They really do fill me up.

thats how i would eat it.

i love baked sweet potato too, and will eat that plain.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Baked potato with cottage cheese and salsa....yesssssss.
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I had chicken and a bread roll also.

You need a Fat. Avocado, ghee or butter, or sour cream...
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    If the choice is between a potato or a roll, the potato is actually better -- more potassium and vitamins. My husband is diabetic, and he occasionally eats either a baked potato or sweet potato, without much impact on his blood sugar. The major culprit for him is white bread or white rice.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I had chicken and a bread roll also.

You need a Fat. Avocado, ghee or butter, or sour cream...

Or a nice, juicy ribeye steak. That would be my first choice to accompany a baked potato.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt is amazing on baked potatoes! As delicious as sour cream, but more protein and less calories.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt is amazing on baked potatoes! As delicious as sour cream, but more protein and less calories.

That's the one use I have for plain greek yogurt - as a sour cream substitute, because that's exactly what it tastes like to me. I love flavored greek yogurt and eat it all the time, but the plain stuff is just like eating a bowl of sour cream.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

That's the one use I have for plain greek yogurt - as a sour cream substitute, because that's exactly what it tastes like to me. I love flavored greek yogurt and eat it all the time, but the plain stuff is just like eating a bowl of sour cream.

Yup! I substituted the sour cream for plain greek yogurt and no one in the family even noticed the difference. That's how good it is. ;)
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Yup! I substituted the sour cream for plain greek yogurt and no one in the family even noticed the difference. That's how good it is. ;)

Now if you really want to get tricky with them, substitute mashed cauliflower for mashed potatoes. They taste so much alike and have such similar texture that most people would never know the difference if you didn't tell them.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone really answered her question completely. A potato is a starchy carb. Yes, when it get's digested in the stomach, all starchy carbs turn into glucose (sugar) and absorbed through the small intestine and right into your blood system.

Sugar of itself is not a bad thing and in fact can be a good thing. Your brain craves glucose 24/7. It's when you eat too much within a 24 hour period that is the problem, so if it fits into your calorie budget then go for it. Also, potatoes contain so many great micronutrients that you need. Very high in potassium, magnesium, niacin, iron, phosphorus, and calcium just to name a few. Plus it has fiber.