Gaining weight cotinuously

Wingg_
Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
edited December 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
So I have been eating pretty much the same type of food ever since I've reached my goal weight except that I was a little adventurous and upped my calorie to 1400 for a week but reduced it back to 1300 after seeing a gain. And added different types of meat to my diet. Till now I've gained like 6kg and I am freaking out. I use Fitbit to track my steps before I lost weight and to maintain. My goal weight for quite some time before the gain. I have no idea why I am gaining so much weight. Should I just go back to losing weight again?

Now I am eating at 1300 + Fitbit cal
I am measuring my food with digital food scale

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited December 2015
    You have reduced your cals down too quickly, you need to let your body get used to the extra cals and give it a few weeks... you will realise that you can indeed eat more and maintain your weight.

Are you sure theres not something else causing this so called gain? have you been eating more foods with added sodium for example? or more carbs??

Go by your Fitbit, its a pretty accurate device I've found - it'll keep you right :smile:

So how many calories in total are you eating on average?
    what height are you?
    A little more information might help...
  • Wingg_
    You have reduced your cals down too quickly, you need to let your body get used to the extra cals and give it a few weeks... you will realise that you can indeed eat more and maintain your weight.

Are you sure theres not something else causing this so called gain? have you been eating more foods with added sodium for example? or more carbs??

Go by your Fitbit, its a pretty accurate device I've found - it'll keep you right :smile:

what height are you?

what height are you?

On average I eat around 1400-1600 cal depending on how active I am on that day.
    I am 160cm so around 5"2?
    Also, does it have got to do with me "banking" the calories so that I can eat more on Monday??
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    this is the thing with eating too little calories while in deficit, your body is in shock with maintenance calories
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Your body is not in shock by going to maintenance calories.

Part of your gain is probably water gain, part having extra food digesting through your body. Part TOM hormones?

I take it, at 5'2 you were losing on 1200+ fit bit cals. If that is the case, an extra 200 then a drop to 100 cals shouldn't give you such a big gain.

Hold tight at your 1300+ Fitbit, and review your log since maintenance started. You may have inadvertently relaxed it.

Once you stabilise at 1300, for a few weeks, you should be able to start adding 50 cals at a time until you hit your 1400+Fitbit maintenance.

Cheers, h.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    banking calories works fine, its about being either in deficit or in maintenance calories over the whole week - most of us have higher days and lower ones so it all balances out.

I think you need to give the higher cals a bit more time, there could be a lot of water retention going on...
  • Wingg_
    edited December 2015
    But I've been eating 1300 + Fitbit cal for a few months now.... Should I stick to 1300 + Fitbit cal or reduce to 1200 + Fitbit cal?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Eat back all your cals fitbit gives you except around 5% to give leeway for inaccurate logging....stick with it and all will be well.

E.g I maintain on 2300 cals per Fitbit, I eat average of 2000-2100 to account for inaccuracies and it's win win. Been maintaining using this way for a few years.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    In other words don't think about mfp numbers, go by fitbit.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    You are set to sedentary on MFP and the fitbit is syncing properly? You're not eating that much for maintenance. You shouldn't be gaining if you're accurate as you say you are.

The other thing to check is the percent of calories with carbs. If mine go over 50%, I gain no matter what my net calories.
  • Wingg_
    nxd10 wrote: »
    You are set to sedentary on MFP and the fitbit is syncing properly? You're not eating that much for maintenance. You shouldn't be gaining if you're accurate as you say you are.

The other thing to check is the percent of calories with carbs. If mine go over 50%, I gain no matter what my net calories.

If I walk a lot in a walk I will eat up to 1800 cal ... I used to be maintaining doing the same so I am really confused now.
  • Wingg_
    Eat back all your cals fitbit gives you except around 5% to give leeway for inaccurate logging....stick with it and all will be well.

E.g I maintain on 2300 cals per Fitbit, I eat average of 2000-2100 to account for inaccuracies and it's win win. Been maintaining using this way for a few years.

Do you like bank your calories throughout the week?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    @wingg oh yes, I have to bank cals as at the weekend I eat around 2500 on Sat and Sun ...banking is essential for me to maintain. (I eat around 1800-1950cals Mon-Fri)
  • Wingg_
    @wingg oh yes, I have to bank cals as at the weekend I eat around 2500 on Sat and Sun ...banking is essential for me to maintain. (I eat around 1800-1950cals Mon-Fri)

I am experiencing amenorrhea at the moment can it be the cause of the weight gain??
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Not sure what that is? @wingg but if you can't go to loo/bowel issues then yes that will show up on scale. ..for me that would cause a 2lb 'gain'...not a real gain though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Her periods have stopped

due to low weight I would imagine

161cm (the height you put on another thread) is 5'3 and half and you only weigh 51kg

• Wingg_
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Her periods have stopped

161cm (the height you put on another thread) is 5'3 and half and you only weigh 51kg

But when I weighed less I had my periods...
  • Wingg_
    So my height around 160-161 which is 5'2?
  • Sued0nim
    edited December 2015
    Wingg_ wrote: »
    So my height around 160-161 which is 5'2?

161cm = 63.4 inches

12 inches in a foot

161cm = 5 feet, 3.4 inches
  • Sued0nim
    Look I'm not trying to tell you what to do but what you have presented on this and another thread is extremely concerning

I am surprised your doctor has not raised concerns about your low weight ...and referred you to counselling

Talking about being 42kg, 45kg is worrying

Being 51kg (BMI around 19) and having your periods stop is concerning

Being that and still wanting to lose weight (2kg on ticker - BMI to 18.5) sets off alarm bells

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/online-eating-disorder-screening

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

Again I wish you luck and I understand if you don't want to hear it
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Wingg_ wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Her periods have stopped

But when I weighed less I had my periods...

I would recommend that you speak to your GYN about this as it could be many things.