How to become a runner?

Options
I really want to become a runner. I see people in great shape run by my house all the time and I always wish it was me. I find myself being overwhelmed with the idea and how to get started without killing myself or becoming discouraged. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hey, I put all my running tips for beginners in my blog, hope it helps!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • dalzinho
    dalzinho Posts: 52
    Options
    Get yourself some decent trainers and get out.

The C25k programme is a decent build up to being able to run 5k (3 miles) for noobs.
  • peacestar84
    peacestar84 Posts: 100
    Options
    I've heard the couch to 5 is a great place to start. The website is www.c2k.com
    They have programs for starting to run, whether you are at home or on a treadmill.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    You start off walking, and during your walks, you put in a 5 minutes of jogging here and a 5 minutes there and over time, you will get stronger and build more stamina, and can go longer.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Check out the Couch to 5K program, or Jeff Galloway's stuff. They are combo walk/run programs which get your running more each week.
    I downloaded C25K podcasts to my mp3 player.
    I started in February, and now I run 4-5 days a week, 3-4 miles a day. These programs work!
  • CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the Couch to 5K program? (C25K) It's a 9-ish week program designed to get you running a 5-K by the end, using 3 runs/week and alternating running and walking. It's nicely laid out so that you don't ever feel too overwhelmed... lots of people swear by it. There are lots of podcasts on iTunes that you can download, and they tell you exactly when to start walking or switch back to running - takes all teh strewss of timing yourself out of it!

(I'm gearing up to start the program soon - feel free to add me if you want to do it together! :)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Just get out there running, start slow, and dont be afraid or ashamed to walk.
  • forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K (C25K) is a great app if you have a smartphone. It tells you when to walk and when to run. It is a 9 week program that you do 3 days a week. It is a great workout!
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Couch to 5k.
  • mpurkis
    mpurkis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same. I got a Couch to 5K app for my iPod and used that. It eased me into running. I started exactly 2 month ago and could barely jog the 60 second intervals. Last night I ran 5k nonstop for the first time at roughly 11 min/mile. I was pretty excited :)

Definitely that was a good program to use as it uses interval training to get you built up to running for 30 minutes without stopping and you don't even realize how quickly it's working until all of a sudden you can run for 10, 15, 20 minutes straight.
  • kjb0976
    kjb0976 Posts: 68
    Options

Good Stuff!! Thanks for posting that.
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    ME TOO!!!!

I can't wait to read these blogs. But I'm putting that off because I want to get out there while I have the guts- right now. I'll read those later!! Thanks for the push.
  • proud2be
    proud2be Posts: 1
    Options
    Start slow. When I first started running I could barely run 10mins! I worked my way up to running a marathon! I feel like if I can do it, anyone can!

So I would suggest starting at 10min or whatever time you feel comfy at. Add 5mins ever week.

After you hit a certain point... you feel like you can run for miles/hours. It's called a runners high. For me it's about the 40min mark. Different for different people.

But just focus on the small accomplishments. And listen to your body.Sometimes you can run more, sometimes less. Just don't give up! :D
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k (c25k) or Couch to 10K (c210k). I started with C25k, but found it increased the run times too quickly for me and I was having to repeat most weeks. I switched over to c210k because the runs are shorter, the walking/recovery periods are longer - but the workout is twice as long (Easier and you get twice the workout). c25k is 30 minutes (and shoots for 3.12 miles in 9 weeks) - c210k is 60 minutes (and shoots for 6.24 miles in 13 weeks). I'm on Week 9 of c210k (and it's taken me 3 months to get here).

The trick to both is to take your time. Go slow if you need to (seriously! I probably walk faster than I "run"). Repeat weeks if you have to. Oh... and get good shoes!

Both programs have I-phone apps that make it really easy (and fun because you can run your own music with them).
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    There are some great sites, like listed already or halhigdon. To me the trick was just starting. If you walk 30 minutes already, jog/run for a couple of minutes, then keep working it up to the full 30 minutes. I dont run every day, but I try for every other day. Just start, you can do it.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I used to be that person.. watching others run and wishing i could do that.. now i am that person!!!! Just start with what feels most comfortable.. go for a walk and try running on and off during your walk( 3-5 min intervals) Just get a feel for how it feels to run.. focus on your breath and find your pace. do that a couple times a week and then just increase from there. remember always warm up your body before and stretch after. :-) HAVE FUN trust me it can be done.. i went from not running AT ALL to doing 5k in about 3 months.. now i can run an 8.1k and I have only been running for about 5 months :-)
  • breeholland22
    Options
    Couch to 5k is an awesome program! Also, find a friend that wants to start running with you. It's always good accountability to have to set up a time to meet someone atleast once a week. Not to mention, it's a great time to get together and hang out for 30+minutes or so. I started running 2 years ago, and I vividly remember the day that I ran 1 mile without stopping...it was an amazing feeling. Now I'm running marathons! I will admit, it took me forever to actually enjoy running. I always enjoyed race day for a 5k, 10k or whatever, but I hated training for it. Don't get disouraged, just keep getting out there and doing it and it'll become a routine and you'll develop a love for it.
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    C25K is awesome. I got the idea of it and just do it. I use to run all the time...dont' forget to stretch!
  • kymburle
    kymburle Posts: 2
    Options
    I am using Couch to 5k. I never thought in a million years I could ever run more than 5 minutes without stopping, but today I ran 25 without stopping and on May 21 I did my first 5K, though I walked about 8 minutes of it.
  • Jillzy64
    Jillzy64 Posts: 1
    Options
    My husband has a great website, there is some training info and links for help. He also trains and interviews top runners from around the world, he was a recent guest speaker at the chicago marathon. Several of my friends, such as myself are not runners but enjoy his articles and blogs. The site is garycohenrunning.com...hope this is of use to you. Gary is always trying to motivate me to lose weight but I'm stubborn and I must say a slacker. However after being off this site for 8 months I'm back on and going to really try to stay focused and......have my husband help me!!!