Wine

Options
2»

Replies

• skippieone
    skippieone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I wonder where my 151 rum fits in? (I don't drink it, I only use it for flaming dishes).

I have also found that many of the popular brands of wine have entries by name. My staple sipping wine is Bota Box Malbec and it is in the database.

If it's Bacardi 151, it's in the database... :)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. ~sad face~
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Definitely something I make room for every day!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I had a glass of wine pretty much every day when I was losing, now that I'm maintaining its usually 2 glasses a day, except during the holidays when the measurement is on the bottle scale...

I drink red and white, sweet and dry. Almost every type I've found runs about 125 cals for a 5 oz pour. That's 5 glasses per bottle if a standard size bottle.

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    How does everyone know how many calories their wine has? Do they have labels of nutrition? Are they googling this and finding it somehow?

MFP has official entries for many varieties of wine. Search for Alcoholic Beverage, wine, table, white, Riesling and you will find the information. You can see by the picture here that most of the official wine entries start the same way...alcoholic beverage, wine, table... Then you type red or white and the kind of wine. The serving size drop down will have several choices for you. Hope this helps.
    np6pb5h6jcsh.png

ETA - Alcoholic Beverages, distilled, all (gin, rum, vodka, whisky) 80 Proof is also a handy entry to know. The calories for liquor will be different depending on the proof, so a 90 Proof alcohol will have more calories. Generally though, I've found almost everyone uses 80 proof.

I wonder where my 151 rum fits in? (I don't drink it, I only use it for flaming dishes).

I have also found that many of the popular brands of wine have entries by name. My staple sipping wine is Bota Box Malbec and it is in the database.

I'd be curious too. The highest proof I could find in the Usda database was 100 proof. Somebody more inclined could probably figure it out by figuring the difference between 90 proof and 100 proof to get the numbers per 10 and add 5 times that to the 100 proof. I doubt it's as easy as just multiplying 100 proof by 1.5. Inquiring minds..... :smile:

Works out to be about 1.6 x ABV x ounces. So about 120.8 calories per ounce of 151.

I drink whiskey, and the really good stuff is often cask strength, which can be pretty high in alcohol. I had to figure out how to log it, so I ran the calculations a few months back.

I just finished an ounce of Edradour 8 year single cask, uncolored, and unfiltered. This particular bottling clocks in at 60.8% ABV. So good.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    How does everyone know how many calories their wine has? Do they have labels of nutrition? Are they googling this and finding it somehow?

MFP has official entries for many varieties of wine. Search for Alcoholic Beverage, wine, table, white, Riesling and you will find the information. You can see by the picture here that most of the official wine entries start the same way...alcoholic beverage, wine, table... Then you type red or white and the kind of wine. The serving size drop down will have several choices for you. Hope this helps.
    np6pb5h6jcsh.png

ETA - Alcoholic Beverages, distilled, all (gin, rum, vodka, whisky) 80 Proof is also a handy entry to know. The calories for liquor will be different depending on the proof, so a 90 Proof alcohol will have more calories. Generally though, I've found almost everyone uses 80 proof.

I'd be curious too. The highest proof I could find in the Usda database was 100 proof. Somebody more inclined could probably figure it out by figuring the difference between 90 proof and 100 proof to get the numbers per 10 and add 5 times that to the 100 proof. I doubt it's as easy as just multiplying 100 proof by 1.5. Inquiring minds..... :smile:

Works out to be about 1.6 x ABV x ounces. So about 120.8 calories per ounce of 151.

I drink whiskey, and the really good stuff is often cask strength, which can be pretty high in alcohol. I had to figure out how to log it, so I ran the calculations a few months back.

I just finished an ounce of Edradour 8 year single cask, uncolored, and unfiltered. This particular bottling clocks in at 60.8% ABV. So good.

I assume that only works for distilled alcohol, correct?